Delenda sunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delenda sunt...

I suppose that this challenge is very old, but I have read nothing about it in the archive:
    The challenge is to win the "Rome" scenario that goes with the game (at least with mine) in less than a century (100 turns).
    I won yesterday after 89 turns (last objective conquered in 189 BC).
    I suppose that strong players manage to win faster.
    How much faster? That is my question.
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Who were you playing as?

I have never beaten it that quickly, but I like playing as the Selucid. I fight up through asia minor into the balkans (usually allying with the independent greeks). After I secure greece, I move through Egypt, while continuing war with the Celts in eastern europe. This works pretty well, as my lands with my ally usually cover the eastern half of the map. This is about the time I run out of turns...

Comment

I have played this scenario several times with any of the 7 civs (IMO that is part of the fun, since the strategy needs to be adapted to the civ you are playing with).
      This time my name was Irakius (I let you guess which civ it was ).

Comment

In which level mates ??!

Comment

Rixxe,
          Deity, sir (I must confess I haven't felt like playing at any other level since I started that one).

Comment

I'm also playing on Deity only.... actually... tonight, I had to play EyesOfNight on MP, and he insisted on playing King.. I lost

Comment

97 years with the Romans (Rome scenario, Deity level).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chaos Warrior on 02-12-2001 05:55 PM
                I'm also playing on Deity only.... actually... tonight, I had to play EyesOfNight on MP, and he insisted on playing King.. I lost

Yup that's Eyes, ICS'er to the bone (plus some horsey hut strategy thrown in). Never, ever, play according to his rules and never let him host the game!

Some time ago he admitted (it took a very heated debate in the Civ2MP-forum though) to having tweaked the rules.txt a bit and not informing the other players. I haven't heard much complaints about him lately so he may have reformed. But you should be careful when he asks to host the game.
                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Played this scenario as the Carthaginians ages ago, IIRC i conquered Egypt, the Seleucids, and was getting to work with the Romans and Macedonians when i decided to quit the game (stupid techs being researched, and the celts were filling Europe with cities). This all took about 150 years, but i got stuck trying to capture Athens and lost most of my army that had conquered the turkey area, when i gave up.

Comment

I dislike the Rome scenario for various reasons but mainly I believe that Civ II is just not good enough for a Roem scenario, I prefer the World War Two scenario and the World War One scenario from the Multiplayer Gold Edition.

------------------
                    Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.
                    Sulla-The last dictator of Rome before Caesar. He changed Rome and Rome sure as hell changed him.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DrFell on 02-25-2001 09:04 PM
                      Played this scenario as the Carthaginians ages ago, IIRC i conquered Egypt, the Seleucids, and was getting to work with the Romans and Macedonians when i decided to quit the game (stupid techs being researched, and the celts were filling Europe with cities). This all took about 150 years, but i got stuck trying to capture Athens and lost most of my army that had conquered the turkey area, when i gave up.

Try once more!
                      Don't be afraid of the Celts: they build like ICSers, but they are mostly able to build chariots. Build a nice walled city close to them and you'll see dozens of them die against your walls.
                      Don't forget either that the center of this scenario is the Mediterranean
                      (superironclads or even mighty fregates make a tremendous job).

Comment

Sorry Mr Nelson; I meant frigates of course.

Comment

Maybe I'll give this one another go if I can find the time. Super Ironclads in a Rome scenario, now thats something I never thought of before

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by DrFell on 02-28-2001 10:24 AM
                            Maybe I'll give this one another go if I can find the time. Super Ironclads in a Rome scenario, now thats something I never thought of before

The first time I played it, it ended with nukes and cruise missiles (against the Egyptians who had been rather clever following me in the tech race, thanks to the GL in Alexandria).

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by La Fayette on 03-01-2001 07:43 AM
                              The first time I played it, it ended with nukes and cruise missiles (against the Egyptians who had been rather clever following me in the tech race, thanks to the GL in Alexandria).

In my Carthaginian game i decided to quit when dragoons became available... o well

Comment

Working...
                              X