Veteran units...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran units...

Forgive me if I'm poorly educated on such matters, but do veteran units "heal" any faster than non-vet units? I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up, but it seems like it to me. Maybe I'm loony. I wouldn't be suprised.

It's possible that your veteran units were built in a city with a Barracks, and are healing themselves there. That would certainly make them heal faster. Other than that, I haven't really noticed a faster healing effect. It would make some sense if there was one, though. Units that have seen action would be more interested in achieving full fighting strength.

Comment

A vet unit created by a barracks in the unit's home city repairs itself in a turn. Vets created by Sun Tzu don't heal themselves in a turn.

------------------
      Founder, ACS Pedantry Institute
      Founder, ACS Gourmet Recipe Exchange
      Troll & Hydey Wrangler
      Mono Rules!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by finbar on 03-26-2001 01:05 AM
        A vet unit created by a barracks in the unit's home city repairs itself in a turn. Vets created by Sun Tzu don't heal themselves in a turn.

No, this isn't correct. Any damaged ground unit that spends his entire turn without moving in any city containing barracks will be competely healed in one turn. I always make sure to rushbuild barracks in some newly-conquered cities where I can move all my damaged units to be healed and back to action ASAP. I also rushbuild airports for fighter/bomber 1-turn healing as well as port facilities to my navy for the same reason.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko Polo on 03-26-2001 11:17 AM
          Any damaged ground unit that spends his entire turn without moving in any city containing barracks will be competely healed in one turn.

AFAIK this is correct.
          It gives the answer to one half of the question: no faster healing of veterans in cities with barracks (since ALL units turn back green in 1 turn).
          In cities without barracks my feeling is the same: no faster healing for veterans.
          My suggestion: Fubla, test this and give us the result (IMO no need to enter cheat mode and spend hours testing; take a pencil when playing your next game and write down the number of turns required by vet and non vet units having turned red after a fight, then do the same with vet and non vet having turned yellow).
          Have a nice time Fubla! Welcome to the tester's club!

------------------
          aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

I have found my old tests:
            40% of total hit points healed every turn in non-barrack city
            20% of total hit points healed every turn max. 3 squares from city (i.e. a square 7x7 squares; I didn't take notice of a presence of barracks in the city)
            10% of total hit points healed every turn on normal square

Unit must not move (an idea: can unit move on the railroad?).
            I didn't take notice of the vet status.
            ------------------------------
            All knowledge stored at Apolyton must be sorted!

[This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited March 27, 2001).]
            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

No, I think Vet heal at the same rates. all units heal faster in cities.

I think a unit almost heals completely in a turn if its fortified.

Comment

From impirical observation only, no difference vet/non vet.

Reading your post, Archangel, has jogged my memory and I do seem to recall one or two occasions when I've thought my unit made surprising progress. Overall, though, I doubt that entrenchment made the difference. I suspect the units I noticed may just have been close to one of my cities.

I think that instructing a unit to entrench may cost it the healing points it would otherwise get that turn. A unit which stays entrenched throughout bounces back immediately after suffering the damage.

I distinctly noted a case recently where the navy had to pick up a survivor. I expected the ensuing long sea voyage to do him a power of good. But when the ship docked half a dozen turns later the lad was pretty much as poorly as when he was carried aboard. Seasick, I expect. Anyone else had that happen?

I also wonder whether ships recover to the same formula as land based units?

Have you noticed that barbs wear their wounds with pride? I used to think they lacked the ability to heal but then I saw a couple who were well into the red take refuge in a fortress (as they love to do) and they proceeded to heal perfectly naturally. So it is just their love of battle and compulsion to keep on the move that stops them recovering. That, or a desire to meet up with their mates in Valhalla!
                [This message has been edited by East Street Trader (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

Weird.. my post was disappeared and was messing this thread in a strange way. A couple of posts behind this were mysterically inside this post. There was a command 'center' included here when I went to edit this; now it has been removed and the problem seized.

OK, now what I was saying.. oh yes: unit healing. In my experience the unit doesn't get healed even if you move it via railroad (and it don't lose movement points). It must stay completely unmoved in order to be healed. Anyone agree with me?
                  [This message has been edited by Marko Polo (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Marko Polo on 03-28-2001 06:46 AMIt must stay completely unmoved in order to be healed. Anyone agree with me?

"unmoved" or "unordered"?

Comment

If a unit attacked, it is considered moved. However if you sentry or fortify it, the unit still gets healed.

Not sure: Engineers can transform terrain and still get healed?

Comment

removed
                        [This message has been edited by SlowThinker (edited March 28, 2001).]

Comment

A small point - in my experience - units do repair during sea voyages - so I am unsure what went wrong in your example EST -- also a wounded unit put to sleep (sentry) wakes up when it is completely healed...

------------------
                          Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                          "The Great Library must be built!"
                          "A short cut has to be challenging,
                          were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                          - Paul Craven
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 03-28-2001 12:40 PM
                            A small point - in my experience - units do repair during sea voyages - so I am unsure what went wrong in your example EST .

I would swear I have encountered both (healing and non healing during sea voyages).
                            My lab is closed.
                            So I won't tell you why (ask ST, perhaps he has also tested that before really starting playing his first game at chieftain level ).
                            Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Xin Yu:
                              I´m pretty sure Settlers/Engineers heal during working map squares. It doesn´t matter what the job actually is.

Comment

Working...
                              X