• Carolus Rex
    replied
    Smash, 21:29, 4/11 2001

You speak the truth.

Carolus

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    John Possidente.He did the civ2 manual and is well known in the civ world.You'll probably recognize the name from scenarios.

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    Originally posted by Smash
    I don't like it but I am not infuriated or surprised.This is very typical of what consumers have to put up with these days.Not just in software but everything.We pay more and more for less and less.Consumer apathy is something the companies of the world take for granted....and why shouldn't they?...we still buy no matter what.
    I think that the Internet might reverse this. If there will be a possibility that a large amount of people would have an easy access to the information about goods and about sellers and that they would have possibility to share their experience with goods, then a such servers will see the light of day...

I am not displeased with the uncompleteness of the game and the slowness of bugs correcting. But I am very displeased with the fact that there are serious bugs in the Civ 2 five years after the release. The instant conversion of very unhappy to happy is very ugly for example.

Originally posted by Smash
    The manual is remarkably similiar.Well maybe not remarkable when you consider who wrote it.Good ole JP
    JP?

Leave a comment:

• SlowThinker
    replied
    i) no
    ii) no
    iii)yes

1. I have a PII/233 and I am lazy to upgrade for the Civ III only.
    2. I am a beginner of Civ 2...

Originally posted by La La La La Fayette
    There are at least a 'crusade' succession game and a Rome PBEM that I wouldn't like to stop now.
    Originally posted by DaveV
    Like La Fayette, I have a few PBEM games to finish...
    Where do you play those PBEMs? Are there some threads?

Leave a comment:

• Smash
    replied
    I bought a pc for this..well not just this but...

It(civ3) is obviously not finished.I find it surprising that players are surprised by this.Every previous version of civ has been sold unfinished.You know?...2.42...1.3...etc
    even civ2 was released without mp.

I don't like it but I am not infuriated or surprised.This is very typical of what consumers have to put up with these days.Not just in software but everything.We pay more and more for less and less.Consumer apathy is something the companies of the world take for granted....and why shouldn't they?...we still buy no matter what.

Lets face it,the previous attempts at civ3 should have made us all swear off civ games completely...yet here we are.Right now,we have CtP 3.Patches will clear up much of the mess.I expect at least 3 for this beta version of civ3.
    To be fair,it looks as though at the core of this civ3,is a good engine and a good game.It just needs to be finished.
    They most likely needed an influx of capitol.You take a calculated risk doing this.The previous versions of civ has shown civers will put up with it...to a certain extent

By this time next week,I hope..no I will have my new pc and will get some hands on reveiw time.Providing I can get it running ..I allready have my copy of civ3.Got it Nov 1.
    The manual is remarkably similiar.Well maybe not remarkable when you consider who wrote it.Good ole JP...still has that deity level description..

Leave a comment:

• Spartan_RawB
    replied
    I for one will not buy Civ 3.

And it's not because I don't have the money to buy it. As a matter of fact, I was willing to buy a new, top-tier system just for Civ 3. The civ community's response to this game has been less than flattering. Many have complained that the game is unpolished, unbalanced, and generally annoying on several fronts. It's just not what I expect from a Sid-Meirs game.

As a matter of principle - and in all practicality, too - Civ 3 is a no-go. I don't feel I should reward a company for its hasty release of an "unfinished" product and the bar of excellence for Civilization is a lot higher, period. Also, I don't understand the reason behind withholding the MP feature. Perhaps it was a marketing move to rip-off the civ community?

All in all, I'm not happy with the release of Civ 3 as it is and I will wait until they release a lot more of a polished copy.

Leave a comment:

• Messer Niccolò
    replied
    Originally posted by Messer Niccolò
    a) no
    b) some
    c) yes

a) yes (I can't resist)....

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    Yes
    No
    Yes

I still play CivI on occasion. Love the chariot rush.

I think Civ3 will be a better game than Civ2 was. Many of the annoyances I had in Civ2 were fixed, and the fascination with caravan building isn't so necessary. The game seems to have been "rationalised" a lot. How do I explain what I mean? Hum...not that there are flaws which Firaxis has attempted to explain away, just that the things you should have been able to do in Civ3 have been enabled, and the things you shouldn't have been able to do have been vapourised.

Leave a comment:

• KrazyHorse
    replied
    DP

Leave a comment:

• Blaupanzer
    replied
    1) Yes
    2) No
    3) No, although MPers will still be playing Civ II.

Julius, one of the screens seems to show a recap of some kind, noting what was built and what was destroyed. Hopefully, that means the replay is back. The replay was a specific question addressed about a year ago, when Firaxis said they would put it in. Of course, at that same time the company indicated MP was in. Here's hoping.

Leave a comment:

• fittstim
    replied
    i) No, I won't buy it - but then again I would never pay the price that companies are presently asking for new releases. I'll just hop on the ferry over to Estonia or Poland and acquire it magically like I did with CivI and CivII...

ii) Yes, of course it's going to be a disappointment. Think about how long we've waited (5 years) and the amount of build up over the last year.

iii) No, after years of "never being tired of CivII", I've actually become bored. The only way to enjoy the game is to play other humans. Otherwise it's so pathetically easy to win - even in Deity mode - because the strategies and techniques used to win remain the same even when the land and opposing civilizations change.

Leave a comment:

• Julius Brenzaida
    replied
    1) Yesterday I went to a computer shop and reserved a copy of civ3. Cool
    2) I'm sure there's going to be some good improvements. But of course that it won't be perfect. Civ I was great and Civ2 was great too, with nice improvements and a very few letdown (the history at the end of each game does anyone know if there's going to be one ?). What I liked in civ2 was that the spirit of civ1 was still there with more possibilities to play and enjoy the game. May it be the same with civ3 !
    3) Of course, that I am still going to play civ2 and hang around in the forum for some times. Hey, you don't forget years of your life like that !
    Besides, yesterday I made some efforts to make my computer play NHL95

Leave a comment:

• drake
    replied
    Actually, I haven't played CivII since I got Alpha Centauri two years ago- even SMAC puts CivII to shame.
    Uhhhhh.......NO!

If you liked AC better than civ 2 youre probably going to like ac better than civ 3. Fundamentally, it's not going to be that different. Game play wise I expect it to be very similar to civ 2.

Course you might not be interested in game play, rather the bells and whistles

Leave a comment:

• Sarxis
    replied
    Re: Who will buy...

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
    ...Civ III?

I know, I know. Wrong forum, but I want to hear what the people posting here expect of Civ III.

i) Will you buy/not buy Civ III?

ii) Do you think it will be a disappointment?

iii) Will we still be playing Civ II a year from now, waiting for the next rip-off attempt (Civ IV or Call to (Consumers' Purchasing) Power III )?

My own answers:

i) Buy

ii) Yes

iii) Yes

Carolus
    I think you are going to get very lonely playing CivII all by yourself.

Buy
    No
    No

Actually, I haven't played CivII since I got Alpha Centauri two years ago- even SMAC puts CivII to shame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X