replied
    1. Yes
    2. I do hope not
    3. I'll still be here in twelve months time

Leave a comment:

• cavebear
    replied
    Carolus, yes, no, yes.

1. The cost of the SP game is irrelevent. I lose that much small change in a month. I object in principle, but have realized I will want to learn how to play the game by the time the MP version comes along.

2. I think it will probably be an improvement over Civ2. It will add complexity, and that is what we all mostly enjoy. We need the challenge. We are problem-solvers, and we have pretty much run Civ2 dry. There are still details for civ2, but not enough.

3. We will probably still play civ2 for a while. It has MP. we have groups we know are somewhat equal, and we know the game. I'd give civ2 at least 2 more years of viable competition.

Leave a comment:

• SandMonkey
    replied
    a dilema!

Do I buy CivIII, or a new graphics card? Either one will set me back too much to afford the other one. Of course, I might not have the slot for the card, so then the choice would be easy

so:

I) buy
    II) Yes
    III) Yes

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveV
    Carolus - from what I've read, Firaxis is working on multiplayer. They had hoped to have it included in the October 30 release, but couldn't finish it in time.
    That's correct, Dave.

Firaxis has been working on MP since August,
    but they said that they won't include it,
    if they don't get it working JIT before the deadline.
    So they are not trying to makes go berserk,
    they're just trying to make a MP concept that
    would actually work. At least I can understand this.

Leave a comment:

• DaveV
    replied
    Carolus - from what I've read, Firaxis is working on multiplayer. They had hoped to have it included in the October 30 release, but couldn't finish it in time. Until multiplayer is actually released as a product, it's subject to being cancelled without notice (cf. the Dinosaurs game, or CTP II). My advice to anyone contemplating the purchase of Civ III is to consider it exclusively a single-player game.

Leave a comment:

• Carolus Rex
    replied
    Thanks for that comforting post, solo!

BTW, what do we know about MP in Civ III? Is it a fact that it will be developed and released later on? Or is it a clever marketing trick to induce us to buy a copy now and then we will be let down as Firaxis lets go of any MP plans due to "unforeseen" events?

Carolus

Leave a comment:

• solo
    replied
    1) I pre-ordered it long ago.

2) I think CivIII will be better for a few reasons:

a) Many things that distorted CivII, making it too easy to beat, have been eliminated or diminished in CivIII, such as 1) Fundamentalism as a government type. 2) ICS or strategies based on accumulating as many cities as quickly as possible. 3) Unit bribery. 4) Diplomats and Spies. 5) Caravans, and the many manipulations based on them. 6) Cheat mode.

b) Most of the mysteries in CivII have been unraveled by the players here. Hopefully, things like Oedo years, key civs, etc., will NOT apply to CivIII, too, and we will have a fresh set of mysteries to solve. I think the introduction of culture, plus the new implementation of map resources and the new trade and diplomatic systems add more depth and will present players with an even better challenge than CivII.

c) According to Firaxis, Sid was the chief playtester during the development of the game, and according to him, FUN was #1, so I will take him at his word that the best quality of CivII, it being immense FUN, has been enhanced in CivIII.

d) The delay of MP is the only disappointment, as far as I can see.

3) My predicition is that not too many will be still playing CivII a year from now, unless MP is delayed. While waiting for CivIII, I have been trying, of all things SimCity (should have been called SimpleCity, since there is not much strategy to it!). Now there's a game worth complaining about! It only took 3 tries and 3 cities to figure it all out!

Leave a comment:

• kcbob
    replied
    Re: Who will buy...

Originally posted by Carolus Rex
    ...Civ III?

i) Will you buy/not buy Civ III?

ii) Do you think it will be a disappointment?

iii) Will we still be playing Civ II a year from now, waiting for the next rip-off attempt (Civ IV or Call to (Consumers' Purchasing) Power III )?
    i) Yes, how could one not buy it?
    ii) No, Sid et al look to be doing a superb job
    iii) No, I believe Civ III will take over all of our time, it looks to be that good

Leave a comment:

• Steve Clark
    replied
    i) Will you buy/not buy Civ III?

Of course I will buy it (in fact, I have two LE on preorder). I certainly don't want to think that all of my time at Civ3-General was wasted.

ii) Do you think it will be a disappointment?

I have realistic expectations. I don't think it'll be worse than Civ2 but certainly not a game that I will play at the exclusion of all others. Civ3 will be a new game on my regular play rotation list (play for a few weeks, then play something else for awhile, then back to civ3, repeat).

iii) Will we still be playing Civ II a year from now, waiting for the next rip-off attempt (Civ IV or Call to (Consumers' Purchasing) Power III )?

No, because 90% of the civ games I have and will play are scenarios. I expect that a year from now, there will be dozens of great Civ3 scenarios to play...long after I get bored with a non-challenge regular game.

Leave a comment:

• Scouse Gits
    replied
    1) Yes, I will buy Civ3.
    2) I can't speculate about disappointment.
    3) I will be playing Civ2 if its successor is a flop.

---------------

SG(2)

Leave a comment:

• Bird
    replied
    With no MP, at first I figured I'd wait. But now I think differently. Frankly, I've gotten a little tired playing OCC games when there's no time for MP or no one's around. Also, I can't let those other bastards get too much of a head start learning the ins and outs of the game.

Leave a comment:

• Rasputin
    replied
    no wont buy.
    yes it dissapoint no MP
    yes play civ 2 , got nothing better ....

Leave a comment:

• drake
    replied
    I'll get it when we have mp hooked up.

I'm disappointed now. But if they do a good job with the mp, I'll give them their props.

I'm playing civ2 until something better comes along.

Leave a comment:

• DaveV
    replied
    i) Yes, even though it may not run on my laptop screen.
    ii) To those who expect the Second Coming, certainly. To those with realistic expectations, I hope not.
    iii) Like La Fayette, I have a few PBEM games to finish...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X