Did anyone...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone...

think civ3 MP would be so bad? I mean I knew it was going to bad, but I had no idea anything could be this bad. You go into gamespy and you never see anyone playing. You go into the Civ3 MP forum and it is for all intents and purposes dead. The only ladders seems to have about 5 players playing PBEM. Civ3 has been such a bust I don't think there will be a civ4. It looks like the civ series is pretty much dead.

u could be right Sean
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I agree with you mostly about the game, but based on sales, there will be a civ IV. They'll keep trying till they don't make any money.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

civ3 was done half-assed, so it's not surprising that ptw is also done half-assed (i assume, i don't follow the ptw forum, hell i don't even know when ptw was released). maybe MP play will pick up after they finish/fix it
        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I'm not sure they are going to finish/fix it to the extent that we would like.

But I agree with rah... the sales were good enough that a civ 4 is very possible. They made money, and that's what counts to them.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Civ 3 is not a bad game, it's just unfinished.

Alot of people like it, but the multiplayer aspect of it scared quite a few people away.
            Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

its was a radical change poorly implemented, many people said the same thing about ctp series...i c a civ4 in the future.......i wonder if it will take four more years...

the unfortunate thing is the reviews for civ3 have been harsh, but finally they are telling us the truth

Comment

Yeah... but it looks like the changes implemented were the worst of many games, and not the good things from every game. And yes, it is strange reading harsh reviews... usually the reviewers don't play the game enough to realize the many problems.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

its about time the reviewers stepped up and showed their support for the gamers and not just the companies making them....and as much as it hurts to see civ3 bashed..they really made a mess of it.

i think the ideas were great, would have added new life into this amazing series, unfortunately they did not learn from activisions fiasco and tried to do too much too quickly...

how much responsibility does apolyton have in this mess

Comment

None... I hope
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

haha, i guess were hoping we lost that manuscript which in a court of law would convict us

Comment

I will admit that Firaxis did listen to many of our complaints (and flaws/bugs we pointed out) about Civ II.

Most of them (if not all) were removed or changed. I'm just not sure they made the "right" changes. There are a lot of GREAT things about Civ III... it's just the total package doesn't it do it for me. There is no longer the sense of discovery... or excitement.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

True, I've tried as Civ3 well and despite the new features there's a "been there, done that..." feel to it. I never had that feeling with Civ2 despite it being an update of the original. Maybe it's different if you're new to Civ and haven't played 1 nor 2.

In deciding to fix the flaws in the Civ1&2 gamedesign they ended up with something different altogether. The same way CtP 1 and 2 are different from the Civ system.

The irony in it is that the great wishlist might have proven to be a curse in the end. We got exactly what we wished for.
                          Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

lol yeah cap i agree entirely

Comment

PTW is an even worse screw up than the original civ3, remarkable considering the amount of time they spent making patches for the original. The civ3 MP forum is quieter than this forum too. So yep, civ is finally dead unless they can find someone competant to make a civ4.

Comment

Working...
                              X