This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing proven cheaters: Yes or no?

This is not a thread to debate further the issue of a cheater's list (I'm refraining from jokingly using the word 'blacklist' since it somehow causes problems); we've all already made our cases. I'm just curious what the general consensus is here. So far it seems the ANZAC, conmcb25, and I are the only ones holding the fort, but maybe I'm wrong.
    It's a good thing, keep it up
    47.62%
    It's a bad thing, dump it
    28.57%
    It's a bad thing, but not worth dumping
    0.00%
    Free Willy
    14.29%
    Don't care
    0.00%
    Don't care, but sick of all the whining so dump it
    9.52%
    Last edited by Darius871; December 3, 2002, 20:42.
    Unbelievable!

I voted it's a good thing, I just think it doesn't go far enough.
    "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

your #1 supporter is here. Yes I agree There are too many threads on ths subject, it gets confusing
      Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Comment

Seeing as most proven cheats vanish, I'm not sure what good it does. On the other hand, as I can't see how it can do any harm, so I'm all for it
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
          Seeing as most proven cheats vanish, I'm not sure what good it does.
          Two things:

1) There are examples of caught cheaters joining games with their original name, without mentioning their past at all (one of them should ring a bell Case ). Don't laugh, this has happened. A list would certainly prevent this from happening.

2) A list can even serve a purpose in identifying DL's of past cheaters. Whether it be grammar, location, playing style, signature contents, or whatever else, DL cheaters could be identified more easily if people know who their old alias was. It could also serve as a method with which players and moderators can compare the date where a cheater disappeared with the date that the suspected DL registered.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Heres an idea, why doesn't the SLeague just put up a page with a list of PBEM cheaters instead of cluttering up the forum with this crap?
            Re-elect Bush!

Comment

"A list can even serve a purpose in identifying DL's of past cheaters. Whether it be grammar, location, playing style, signature contents, or whatever else, DL cheaters could be identified more easily if people know who their old alias was. It could also serve as a method with which players and moderators can compare the date where a cheater disappeared with the date that the suspected DL registered."

Sorry Darius but THIS has witch-hunt written all over it. Listing known cheaters is one thing, supporting accusations based on writing or playing style is silliness.
              "Long live Iraq. Long live Jihad. Long live Palestine. God is great, God is great." - President Saddam Hussein

Comment

Sorry Darius but THIS has witch-hunt written all over it. Listing known cheaters is one thing, supporting accusations based on writing or playing style is silliness.
                Who said anything about supporting accusations, I'm talking about people with legitimate concerns talking privately to moderators about possible DL's. That's the way it's been dealt with before and it wasn't called a 'witch hunt' then. I never said anything about posting public threads saying "Oh my god this guy's writing sounds a lot like cheater x, so it must be him! Wraagh!!! "; only something that ridiculous would fit your description.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Choke
                  Yes, I agree with that: the list itself might be a good thing, but only as long as it doesn't lead to a witch-hunt...
                  Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                  Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                  POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                  LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

So it's ok to get them banned based on your opinion but not ok to make it public stick to facts like proven cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Choke
                      So it's ok to get them banned based on your opinion but not ok to make it public stick to facts like proven cheating.
                      What the hell are you talking about? DL's are always banned, it's a forum policy. They are easily confirmed by an IP match, so there's nothing to say about 'opinion' or 'accusations'. The point is that a player's familiarity with an old cheater could make him raise an eyebrow at a suspected DL, and privately contact a moderator to do check and see if the person is indeed a DL. If he is, he will be banned as is site policy. If he isn't, then nothing was said on the boards and no harm is done.

Yes, I agree with that: the list itself might be a good thing, but only as long as it doesn't lead to a witch-hunt...
                      Look guys, a witch hunt hasn't happened, and anyone that starts one will have 90% of the community against them, including me. You're all too worried about this.
                      Last edited by Darius871; December 4, 2002, 03:48.
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                        Look guys, a witch hunt hasn't happened, and anyone that starts one will have 90% of the community against them, including me. You're all too worried about this.
                        Hey, relax Darius, I wasn't implying it was what you had in mind!

I'm just a bit concerned about what a few "hotheads" might want to do with it, that's all: we have already seen a few too hasty reactions in the past (the last one in Mongols pbem) and I would prefer this kind of things not to happen again!

And yes, you're right, the majority of the community would be against it, but once someone has been accused of something (like being a DL for a cheater), well, it just leaves a stain even if he is innocent...

Still, no hard feelings, my friend!
                        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Ok, well IP bans don't work too well anyway, they're easy enough to get around. But if all it is is the mod checking IPs and letting that be the determining factor that's fine.

Comment

It's tackey, and it will lead to trouble.

It isn't done in MP, and cheaters in that have been exposed many times.

This kind of thing makes me glad I only play people I know and trust, I never play with people at random anymore.

I think I have some credibilty commenting here, I have been playing PBEMs for over a year and a half now, and I don't see the need for a public humiliation thread, but you guys do what you like.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Why does everyone consider its purpose to be 'public humilitation'? Punishment and deterrence were not my/our original intentions, more like a welcome bonus.
                              Last edited by Darius871; December 4, 2002, 13:02.
                              Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                              X