Active player Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
    The point is I haven't seen anything from War that would justify the patronising attitude he adopts to other plays.
    Well... only playing him once, that is understandable.

I remember Makeo as being solid in the old days... Diety, not impressed. Never seen finbar. Is that the best you Aussies can offer up
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Your group plays 2x because of your short attention span don't you?
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Nahhh... we play it because we don't play as many continued games as you guys seem to do. If a game is only going to last 5 to 6 hours, might as well make it interesting.
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

True, we play games for months. Some of our games are real lazy cause there are all these complex unspoken rules about who can attack who and so forth. Its got quite weird frankly.

So you basically play one session games and determine the winner off the powergraph?
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

The powergraph is what it is... an indication only.

Most people in the game knows who is winning and who is getting killed. We don't need no stinkin powergraph to determine that

In some cases, the chest beating starts about... "If this game had just gone a few more turns", but in most cases, the leader and winner is very obvious...

It's just tough getting the same people on line to continue games. And even when you do, most people would rather have a fresh start then continue a game where three people are getting their butts handed to them
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

I stick out games where I'm losing. Even if you're coming last you can set goals and have fun.

Some people are just too concerned with their invincible rep.

Comment

I've continued many games where I'm getting my head handed to me. And yeah, you are right. In those kind of games, you relish the small victories, and set up goals you can attain, even if it isn't going to win you the game. Nothing better than taking wonder city from somebody, even if it really isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not one of the TOP players... but I am above average and no push over. The only rep I care about is that I'm a fun and Honest player, and not a quitter.

It makes getting into games much easier
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

In the game I played war I got stuck on an island and he got the continent so I just kept setting survival goals, like 500 ad, 1000 ad.

Also I tried to get some settlers off to colonise a hidden part of the map, just to sh*t him

I think he got me some time after 1000ad.

Comment

One of my favorite tricks ( and rah is the master at it) is to pair a vet defensive unit with a settler, and look for places in enemy territory to build cities that will piss them off. Usually on some resource (preferably on solid defensive terrain) that they are using. They end up using far more resourses to take the city out then it took you to place it there. It keeps the game amusing
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ya that's a good one - another similar one is to put units on mountains at crucial bottlenecks inside their civ. If you put a diplo with them you get lots of feedback on their troop movements too.

I did that to makeo recently. Drove him nuts, especialy since I got into a fortified mountain hex which he had left unguarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                        Well... only playing him once, that is understandable.

I remember Makeo as being solid in the old days... Diety, not impressed. Never seen finbar. Is that the best you Aussies can offer up
                        deity, if you don't mind and he BITES!

BTW, we've NEVER played so I don't know where you got that idea from that I don't impress... ??

Can't let this one go! And it is an invitation for me to remind you of my track record:

* Beat Makeo by killing his entire civ in my first ever MP game before I even knew about WLTPD - 1999
                        * Took cities off arii in a big unfinished game with Markus/arii/finbar/crusty - 2000
                        * Diplo IV - declared winner against Elendil/Dangime/Empress/Wezil/Raz - 2000
                        * Consistently lead many Aussie games, regardless of start - 1999 - 2002
                        * Leader of the ill-fated Eurodip game - Berzerker was pretty equal or close but my unit count was over 100 and everyone else was at 30 odd. I was about to attack Berzerker but the game stalled when Elendil quit Markus was in this game, along with Crusty/Easthaven and Capo - 2001
                        * HOTW2 - declared winner after decimating drake's empire
                        * Tourney 2 game with Makeo/Markus/Hydey - Markus concedes after Hydey takes out Markus Wonder city. This was based on a manipulative deal between me and Hydey... - 2001
                        maybe you don't like that aspect of my play Ming? OR maybe you don't like that fact that I use the forums for in-game strategic purposes??
                        * Beat Nappy and Makeo in the small Earth Diplo game - outright concession by Nappy after Makeo, his ally, attacked Dangime, my ally. I wiped out half of Makeo's civ and was ready for Nappy's Africa... - 2002
                        * Markus the only player, other than Makeo, to come close to outright beating me in proper MP game - unfinished game unfortunately
                        *Only lost two duels - one to Makeo and finbar

In all that time the only players to ever take a city off me are:
                        Hydey
                        Makeo
                        Dangime
                        Markus
                        finbar
                        winzity

So, what's up Ming?

Why don't we play sometime?

And what aren't you impressed with? LOL!

I prefer 1x1x deity to king level
                        but I do play 2x1x...
                        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity

deity, if you don't mind and he BITES!

BTW, we've NEVER played so I don't know where you got that idea from that I don't impress... ??

Can't let this one go! And it is an invitation for me to remind you of my track record:

* Beat Makeo by killing his entire civ in my first ever MP game before I even knew about WLTPD - 1999
                          * Took cities off arii in a big unfinished game with Markus/arii/finbar/crusty - 2000
                          * Diplo IV - declared winner against Elendil/Dangime/Empress/Wezil/Raz - 2000
                          * Consistently lead many Aussie games, regardless of start - 1999 - 2002
                          * Leader of the ill-fated Eurodip game - Berzerker was pretty equal or close but my unit count was over 100 and everyone else was at 30 odd. I was about to attack Berzerker but the game stalled when Elendil quit Markus was in this game, along with Crusty/Easthaven and Capo - 2001
                          * HOTW2 - declared winner after decimating drake's empire
                          * Tourney 2 game with Makeo/Markus/Hydey - Markus concedes after Hydey takes out Markus Wonder city. This was based on a manipulative deal between me and Hydey... - 2001
                          maybe you don't like that aspect of my play Ming? OR maybe you don't like that fact that I use the forums for in-game strategic purposes??
                          * Beat Nappy and Makeo in the small Earth Diplo game - outright concession by Nappy after Makeo, his ally, attacked Dangime, my ally. I wiped out half of Makeo's civ and was ready for Nappy's Africa... - 2002
                          * Markus the only player, other than Makeo, to come close to outright beating me in proper MP game - unfinished game unfortunately
                          *Only lost two duels - one to Makeo and finbar

In all that time the only players to ever take a city off me are:
                          Hydey
                          Makeo
                          Dangime
                          Markus
                          finbar
                          winzity

So, what's up Ming?

Why don't we play sometime?

And what aren't you impressed with? LOL!

I prefer 1x1x deity to king level
                          but I do play 2x1x...
                          I'm just quoting this just in case deity realises what a dork he is in recording all this.

He and I have never duelled and only been at war briefly for a couple of turns of one game which was not continued.

Comment

LOL!

You too scared to attack me

Go on, do it
                            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

And why shouldn't I respond to Ming's nonsense about me not being impressive?

He's never played me but I have annoyed him because he knows I see him as a most unbalanced mod.
                              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity
                                And why shouldn't I respond to Ming's nonsense about me not being impressive?

He's never played me but I have annoyed him because he knows I see him as a most unbalanced mod.
                                Nahhh... AH was ragging on War based on playing him one game... So I was just trading jibes with him. You really should read things in the context of the entire coversation...

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                                X