• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who gives an EyesOfNight about PBEM?

Seriously, PBEM isn't even really MP.
    Not me.
    100.00%
    Why is SlowThinker suddenly posting here?
    0.00%
    Has there ever been support for PBEM on the MP forum?
    0.00%

Yes, the lack of interaction during your turn and the things that you have to do to tweak it, really makes it something completely different. I personally have no interest. But different strokes for different strokes.

RAH
    And seeing the plathora of responses that he's had, lead me to believe that it might have done better in the strategy forum.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't play PBEM, but it's MP.
      And the sun doesn't rise and set on what you like, Eyes.
      Take a chill pill.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Not everyone has the time for real time play and long term games are almost non existant.
        PBEM is a nice alternative to boring old solo play and very condusive to games going to an actual finish.Also,you can play many scenarios this way which would be a nightmare trying to play real time.Nobody wants to sit while Joe moves 300+ units in ZWK for example.

Just another way to enjoy the greatest game ever made...so far
        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

I missed the 'Eyes shut the **** up you stupid *****' option

Comment

If that option was available none of the others would get a vote
            The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

No lie. That's about as standard as "Banana", and makes as much sense.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I tried PBEM for scenarios, because the longer turns make them unplayable in real MP. But everyone takes so long to actually do their turns, I mean you'd think everyone would have maybe 20 mins in a 3 day period to spare on a game. But no, people disappear for over a week with no notification, and need tons of PMs just to play their turn. Other players drop out all the time too, so it's just too much of a pain in the arse generally. I tried getting into 6 different games, only one is still running.

Comment

I played a PBEM SMAC game once. It was hell, an experience never to be repeated. But many enjoy PBEM..............let's be a little tolerant of real factors that may lead some to play their MP by PBEM. At least they aren't stuck playing the AI. I vote for atawa's option.

Comment

Only thing I play PBEM is Diplomacy, only because you can't RELOAD that particular game.
                    Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      I vote for atawa's option.
                      So do I - which makes 5. I wonder if a write-in has ever won a poll before.

If not Eyes will be making history again.

Comment

(SlowThinker, walking around timorously)
                        Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Originally posted by SlowThinker
                          (SlowThinker, walking around timorously)
                          Why the h*ll should you?!
                          The atawa option

PBEM is MP - the only sort I can play - it has its faults, but is a lot more conducive to RL - unfortunately when you pass the teens there is a lot of RL around!!!

SG[1]
                          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

SG, you don't know my perverted "humor"?

I have voted, unfortunately in the moment when I noticed a lot of "atawa votes" and started to feel for Eyes.
                            Go back to your tomb, SlowThinker!
                            Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

PBEM isn't that different from a succession game, in terms of interaction, etc. Never tried; I guess you handle diplomacy via email during your turn?

Anyway, I'd vote for atawa's write-in.
                              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                              X