This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAH rules: Description and Origination of

being lazy as i am, i don't want to have to look in a bunch of different threads every time i forget the particulars of rah rules. it'd also be beneficial for newbies and other people that don't know them (not to mention forgetful old farts ), so here's my compilation from the old MP thread and Xin's thread, along with additions/corrections as posted by rah (and others). please inform me of any more omissions and/or other errors and new rules adoptions:

Settings
    Level: Deity
    Barbarians: Raging Hordes
    Production: 2x
    Movement: 1x
    Map size: 39x49 for 4 player, 37x47 or smaller for 3 player (map size varies, the only consistent factor is TINY ROCK)
    Landmass: Large
    Landform: Continents
    Climate: Wet
    Temp: Cool
    # of Civs: 4 (ideal, 3 if necessary), no AI
    Time limit: None
    Huts
    Turn-based

Special stipulations
    Not Allowed: city bribes*, alliances, wonder trading, unit teleporting (includes caravans), tech trading, blatant cheats (map peeking, non-unit creation, sabotage proofing, cheat-o-matic, lag-related cheats, etc.), caravan re-homing, selling improvements/disbanding units after losing the city/unit, building the Great Wall, hard feelings.

*NO city bribe.
    If the barbs take a city, you OR anyone else may bribe it.
    BUT, If someone drops out of the game and the AI takes over, and bribes one of your cities. Only the person that owned the city may bribe it back, since it normally shouldn't have been bribed in the first place.
    AND others should refrain from conquering the city until the original players has taken back control.

Allowed: Incremental buying, black clicking, tech stealing agreements, trade agreements (to allow caravans to be delivered), all other player arrangements (any agreements can broken when advantageous), all wonders except Great Wall (may agree to eliminate certain ones in duels), pre-worked settlers, selling improvements/disbanding units before losing the city/unit, diploguiding.

Other: Restart when host gets techs, try not to penalize player drops (reloading if necessary). Airbases, allowed only as real airbases, not allowed in city radius nor allowed to build a line of them to block air lanes.

rules.txt Modifications: Oracle expires with Industrialization.

Origination of (as posted by rah)
    They are not called RAH rules because I made them up. They have just evolved over time with the group that we play with. The only reason they are called that is because in the early day's i had the fastest machine and a cable modem, therefore, I usually hosted. And they know the name annoys me
    [and more from another thread]
    Sounds like our early games with XIN, right after MP came out.
    We all cheated, trying to figure out what we could do. Every 30 minutes or so, XIN would say, found another one. It was always hilarious. After a couple of months we started to discuss which ones we would allow and which ones were banned. That was the beginning of "RAH" rules.

Glossary - definitions provided by: Ming, Scouse Git[1], rah.
    caravan re-homing - unlike normal units you cannot hit the 'h' key to change the home of a caravan - however the 'support from this city' option is available from within the city screen - this has led people to believe that rehoming is not an intended feature and hence is a cheat -- the advantage -- imagine all your caravans - even those produced by a poxy 2-city - being rehomed to your size 24 SSC and sent - well anywhere you like!!!
    the cheat-o-matic - is a tsr that allows the game parameters to be changed on the fly while the game is running
    diplo-guiding - using a diplomat or spy (or other unit that ignores ZOC) to lead other units through an enemy's zones of control.
    disbanding units - disbanding units in anticipation of losing the unit to bribery is allowed so long as it's done before the bribery occurs.
    non unit creation - Move a unit from the city that it is homed to, to another city.
    Now this requires good timing. Open the screen to home it to the new city. Now wait till the machine is switching over to your turn, quickly press the homing selection. If you catch it right, the unit will not home to the new city but become a non-unit.
    pre-worked settlers - You start a settler working on something, (like transforming grassland to forest, anything that takes longer than a turn)
    Now before he finishes, clear the command. THe turns that he spent working are "saved up" the next command you give him, (if you planned it right) will allow it to be completed in one turn. Hence the term, "pre-worked". This was more useful in 1x1x games for fortress building. In 2x1x games a fortress can be built in one turn, so it's not as critical. BUT it still has many uses. Let's suppose you're sending a settler out to convert some terrain. But barbs pop up so you hold him near a city for a turn to clear out the barbs. He can start his task and move out later without wasting any time overall.
    Sabotage proofing - is similar [to non-unit creation]. when a diplo approaches your city, open the build queue and make ready to buy the item. When the diplo sabotages production, The shields that you had will still be in the box. Buy it up. No lose of shields.
    Selling improvements - Selling an improvement in anticipation of losing a city to enemy attack is allowed as long as the sale is conducted prior to the lose of the city.
    Unit teleporting - During your turn, you can move a unit... then gift it to your partner. He then gives it back to you and you can move it again in the same turn. Repeat... You can have unlimited movement. Really nice when you want to move a diplo in on some city.

Reference threads
    Xin Yu's FoA Thread - Xin's role in the development of disallowed exploits.
    Settings Preferences thread - rah posts up rah rules, and origination of such rules.
    Last edited by ColdWizard; September 12, 2002, 09:10.
    Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Raging Hordes is standard
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Very good.

Correction.
      Map Size varies, and has over the years. The only consistent factor is TINY ROCK

Currently 39x49 for 4 players. Sometimes 38x48. After multiple restarts due to techs, may bump size. For 3 players, we'll start at 37-47 or even smaller. Whatever feels right. But for four players, it's pretty consistent.

Additions,
      RAGING HORDE
      Huts
      All wonders in play (may agree to elim certain ones in duels)
      All standard game files. (no mods)
      Turn based

Allowed,
      Trading maps, if you dare. The same goes for all the other player agreements. Expect agreements to be broken when advantagous. (get over it )

The not penalize player drops is important. We'll hold the game and wait. Or reload to a previous turn if player gets back and he's screwed. But sometimes the save isn't good or we didn't notice the player dropped fast enough, so sometimes it doesn't work out that way, but the intent is no penalty. We'll usually ask the player when he returns how it looks for him before we continue. If it's just minor crap, they usually say to just go ahead.

Ok, guys, what else am is missing?
      Last edited by rah; March 21, 2002, 18:25.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The part where you always win...

Or at least build HG...

The IRB shocked me when I learned of it's allowance... I had been dutifully rush-building stuff the old way for awhile... THAT'S why I was playing so terrible.
        Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

I guess that's a good reason for us to have a thread like this. Our original group never even blinked on that one so we assumed that no one else would. Boy were we wrong. I remember a thread where it was hotly debated.

Of course now that you know, we expect your level of play to be equal to ours.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Then I guess I better not play with you anymore...

On topic: No doubt that the rules that you play by makes you a better player on all settings... My overall game has improved by the dustings I have recieved...

Thanks but No Thanks.
            Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

Comment

preworked settlers is allowed too...which i had no idea for two years..... but hey ..no Hard Feelings right
              Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

i even remember forgetting to put in raging hordes ("i'll put it in later" )

for a long while i couldn't remember if incremental rushing was allowed or not, but doing it anyway, figuring that with my mad skillz nobody would mind

Comment

I forgot about the preworked settlers. Yes it's allowed. Probably since no one ever *****ed about it. It was never discussed. So it was in by default.

FF You're always welcome when we have a slot.

Yes, It takes me a bit to get used to other settings. I always forget the happiness counts less than Deity and build my temples too early. And I'll build on the wrong terrain until i remember.
                  But after a while, I remember.

2x movement, I really really dislike and am not likely to play that setting. There is something disburbing about Cats moving and attacking on the same turn. Diplos moving 4 is also a bit much.

But I will agree that I'm better at "RAH" rules, only because we use them.

RAH
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

CW at the incr buying comment. And your new sig, just noticed it.

Go ahead and list 39x49 as the size for 4 player.

Other world settings never posted before
                    Landmass large
                    Landform Continents
                    Climate Wet
                    Temp Cool
                    Age 4 Billion

They have varied but these have been used for the last couple of years.

MING, could you put an entry and link to this thread in the GL?
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The link in the GL would be good. I wondered what the rules were for a while before finally asking in the Xin Yu ACS thread. Great thread CW.

Comment

more changes and additions made

Originally posted by Flatlander Fox
                        On topic: No doubt that the rules that you play by makes you a better player on all settings...
                        every setting except for 2x move, which offers different opportunities and challenges. 4 move diplos are cool and very annoying, depending on who's using them

Comment

Question: is bomber-shielding allowed or not?
                          not that many of these games seem to get to bombers, but i don't remember the subject popping up before

Comment

Yeh - I've just dissed bomber shielding over on Strat - with apologies to Xin and the X-pack - but I still think it's iffy to say the least -- what's the consensus -- perhaps should start a thread?
                            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                              Yeh - I've just dissed bomber shielding over on Strat
                              your post is what spurred me to ask

Comment

Working...
                              X