This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrSpike

It means small maps. Such maps have a larger concentration of mountainous areas than you're probably used to. At least that is what I always thought Rah and co meant.
    Thanks...I had hoped for more. Like a way to make small maps w/o soo MANY mountains.
    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
      This is very interesting even for the bleacher bums who don't have MP. Just one question, please.... What do you mean by TINY ROCKS??? Thanks
      i think it's because there's less water on the map due to tiny map/large landmass/continents. tiny map + lots of land = tiny rock.

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
      Even though its disallowed - What is "Unit Teleporting"?
      trading units between players to somehow gain unfair movement (i think there's something about it in Xin's thread). i'm not sure really, i've got enough problems remembering to revolt with oedo years to bother with exploits and such (missed revolting for about 1400 years last night )
      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
        (missed revolting for about 1400 years last night )
        If there is a player on these boards who cannot say, "Been there, done that, got that T-shirt!" I take my hat off to them! Certainly I have been there - claiming vigorously that it was an "Experimental Game" staying in Monarchy until 17OO and something ...
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Almost perfect rules except I would like to see no cities on more than 50% defensive terrain (or they're free to bribe) .
          My life, my rules

Comment

Originally posted by ColdWizard
            trading units between players to somehow gain unfair movement
            During your turn, you can move a unit... then gift it to your partner. He then gives it back to you and you can move it again in the same turn. Repeat... You can have unlimited movement. Really nice when you want to move a diplo in on some city
            Needless to say, we don't allow this
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's things like that (unit teleportation) that make me think true MP is a VERY different animal to the game with which I think I'm familiar ...

Comment

Here's one SG2 told me about, but I haven't verified.

If you build a caravan in a city which has all of its commodities already used, but wait for the commodity selection pop-up to time out instead of selecting a food caravan, you get a hides caravan. This would allow for infinitely repeating commodity caravans. Clearly a cheat, in my opinion, but worth submitting to the general public for discussion.

Comment

No discussion needed on this one. (if it verifies) All I needed to hear was "let it time out". MP is slow enough already, that's all we need is for someone to wait for 10 caravans to time out at the beginning of their turn. AARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Thanks for pointing it out.

I think we can safely assume that no one will voice support for this one. (of course you never know about those diplo players)

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

caravan timing-out

NO! the rest of you people take long enough as it is!

NO NO NO NO NONONONO! NO NO NO!

use it and i'll hunt you down and subject you to hours and hours of inane chatter on whatever asinine subjects my sleep-deprived brain can come up with

Comment

RAH--

Do you remember why in the settings you guys decided that 'cool' is better than 'warm' for temperature?? For instance, does it give a 'better' or different result in the resources available?? Thanks
                      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Good question. Wish I had a good answer.

It was a compromise. Whenever you're using a map as small as we use, the land isn't going to be great. We played around with the settings and it was difficult to see what the real differences were. (we were not attempting to get a grassland world) A little more forrest/less jungle and a little more artic. Anyway, I'm not sure who it was, but they were complaining about the small map size and asked that as long as he had to play on it could we make it cool. Since I really didn't care, I accomodated his request. (Just another reminder that a group of people developed these rules) Since the software remembers your last selection, it just became the standard over time.

I'd be open to discussion on those settings if anyone could quantify the impact on the small rocks. It's not the quite the same as the explanations state.

RAH

Does anyone remember who made that original request?
                        (not that it really matters, but just as a point of interest)
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                          It's things like that (unit teleportation) that make me think true MP is a VERY different animal to the game with which I think I'm familiar ...
                          it's a lot of fun when you play with the right people

Comment

I have experiment a lot with different settings, and I found early, along time ago, the best settings for get

nice development:
                            3 billion years
                            wet
                            cool

It was long time before 4 billion, wet, cool was a common choose. I told somebody about it, maybe they get inspired of it. And the lead to the request above. I don't remember who it was.

The diffs between 3 billion and 4 billion years is that you get more good city radius with 3 billion years because the mountains is formed in fewer groups(the number of square that are mountains is the same).

This means you get some regions that is not good to built in, but most regions are very good except those near the poles. The size of "region" above is something like a cityradius in size so it don't mean players get hopeless start location, they can normally easy move to a good start place.

Of course restart is possible too, but note that the need for restart is less with 3 billion years than for 4 billion years, if you have a want to get really good start locations. This is because the propablity to have a mountain in the start cityradius is much less with 3 billion years due to that the mountains is clustered together.
                            winzity ICQ 30339567
                            Please note I don't longer use the mail address winzity@hotmail.com.
                            Please ask me on ICQ or use Apolytons e-mail function if you want to send e-mail to me.

Comment

So now that this thread is active, let me ask for a couple definitions and clarifications.

1. "NON" Unit Creation -- What actions are prohibited? (I don't know of a cheat-y way to build NONs.)

2. Sabotage-proofing -- What the heck is that??

3. Cheat-o-matic -- What the heck is that ??

4. Caravan re-homing -- Heard a lot of references to it, but never found an explanation of what it is and how it benefits you.

Thanks to ColdWizard for starting this thread. Extremely useful to newer players.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I can help on 3 & 4 -- the cheat-o-matic is a tsr that allows the game parameters to be changed on the fly while the game is running -- very very non PC
                                rehoming caravans - unlike normal units you cannot hit the 'h' key to change the home of a caravan - however the 'support from this city' option is available from within the city screen - this has led people to believe that rehoming is not an intended feature and hence is a cheat -- the advantage -- imagine all your caravans - even those produced by a poxy 2-city - being rehomed to your size 24 SSC and sent - well anywhere you like!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X