No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH you speak the truth...civ2 strats don't work all that well..but you need to expand in this game....the ai expands quickly.....

However that all aside........ i feel as though i now have a grasp on taking cities....keeping them and wiping individual races out

I am getting a feel for the ancient period.....
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

It seems expansion through cultural domination is more or as effective as conquest. Care to comment?

On good thing about this game is it brings together the civers with the smacers. Who will come out on top strat wise?
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
        It seems expansion through cultural domination is more or as effective as conquest. Care to comment?

On good thing about this game is it brings together the civers with the smacers. Who will come out on top strat wise?

My hunch is the civers, we're used to the civ mechanics while smac'ers are not.

What seems to keep conquest toned down is citizen revolt when you capture an enemy city. But I've seen a strategy that seems to work against that.

Some good Civ3 tips sofar:
        conquering-starvation tactic when you conquer a city you leave a token force and let the city starve whilst building workers, park your main forces outside to retake the city in case of revolt.
        lumberjack rushbuilding by planting-cutting down forests for shields. Nice
        worker posse the AI seems to stack his workers from time to time. Play your cards right and you can capture 20-40 workers in one turn!
        Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

More random thoughts.

I'm starting to get the hang of it. After the first few settlers, don't build them. Go out an conquer your weakest neighbor. Find Iron and build swordman. Build the roads there so you're ready to connect right away. Two/three swordman are tough if they don't have them.

I was wrong about that hut in the city range, when you place the city, it cashes the hut. I guess the first few times I did it, the village was empty so I didn't notice.

I finally got HG in a game. I just don't give/trade poly to anybody. The AI is not as concerned about monarchy early.

After opening over two hundred huts, I have yet to see a settler or a city. (and I've always played expanionist) What the heck am I'm doing wrong?

This game is tough. (so far )

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Did you read randomturn's comments in the civ3 general section? That stuff about the wonders is enough to make me not play this game.
            "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
            Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Bird
              Did you read randomturn's comments in the civ3 general section? That stuff about the wonders is enough to make me not play this game.
              I hate to say that that's not enough info to find anything in the zoo that is now the civ3 general section.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's his thread, probably the only one that's his. He made several observations, but the one that bothered me was that the ai built some wonder (HG?) the turn before he was going to finish it (I can live with the fact that you can't rushbuild in the traditional sense and his beef wasn't with that fact) and then defaulted his shields into producing something like a courthouse. It did so despite the fact that he discovered theology that turn and could have switched to Sistine Chapel, but the turn order apparently didn't allow that.

Takes the concept of wonder locks to a whole new dimension.
                "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                Jonathan Swift

Comment

Rich i popped another hut and got a nomad ..... thats two so far in countless games....

25 seems to be the max i get from huts......

haven't played enough games yet to know for sure
                  Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

In answer to the original question of this thread:
                    Well
                    I said I wasn't getting civ3 without the MP and I'm NOT
                    so Saturday I come home in the afternoon and my husband (the SP - yes, it's a mixed marriage ) is sitting there with our friend playing it!
                    Seems "friend" brought it over to show it off, as he just picked it up this weekend at the local BestBuys ($49.95!!)
                    But I still haven't looked at it -- partly because "friend" has the CD!! LOL I have a feeling hubby will break down and get it anyhow; being the SP he is. Then the question becomes, how long before I end up looking at HIS? Ha!

Comment

Check out this thread...

There seems to be a giant bug...

Carolus

Comment

well..that is kinda sloppy programing but it is easy to avoid by just not doing it.A pretty simple fix I would think.
                        The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

Agreed, sloppy but not a show stopper.

From an MP standpoint, I was very dissapointed about all the free information you get. One of our biggest complaints in the CIVII cheats threads was all the free info.

Map clicking
                          Closest city
                          Blah blah blah

But they seemed to have ignored us MPers "AGAIN"
                          The amount of free info is WORSE.
                          Click on stack to see detailed info. Even if they're vets or elite troops.
                          Borders.
                          Techs in diplomacy. (gee a patch was built to eliminate this in CIV II)
                          Strongest troop defending a city (it was a bug when it happened at CIVII)

We had assumed they read them, I guess not. I'd rather believe that then they read them and just ignored us.

Just another thing in the long list of why this game will never be a good MP game. It looks like a step back.

RAH
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah,

Are these (possible in the future Civ3 MP?) 'flaws' structural or can they be fixed within the present gamedesign?

If not, Civ3MP is gonna take a looooooooooong time.
                            Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

You're probably right...

Originally posted by Smash
                              well..that is kinda sloppy programing but it is easy to avoid by just not doing it.A pretty simple fix I would think.
                              ...and I sure don't hope that it's an omen; a characteristic of how the game functions! If such a simple thing is so badly implemented, what about the rest...

Enough complaining from a guy who haven't even bought the game (yet!)...

BTW, what you say ("Don't use them!") goes for most bugs... Still, doesn't give the right signal of "this is a quality product", eh? [There, I complained a little more anyway! ]

Carolus

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                                Xin Yu... what do you think about the game so far.
                                I think it's harder overall... but we haven't had a million games to disect it yet. Have you found and good Xin tricks yet?
                                Hi there! I just got the game but have only played 2 sessions. Now I'm visiting my wife who's in Ohio State U. For the past 3 quarters I dedicated myself to her study. I tutored her calculus, real analysis, statistics, computer, etc. All those homeworks and stuff. This Saturday I can come back to Seattle and concentrate on Civ for about a month.

I still haven't got a chance to calculate how many shields come from one pop when rush building under despotism. If it is 10, then looks like the best way to build up a city is to add workers to it then rush. This way you can concentrate your civ's effort in one city (even of size 1). Makes building settlers much easier, and the culture invasion much easier as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X