No announcement yet.

Civ3: Who's resolve is first to falter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it doesn't fight better....it justsends out swarms of troops making the appearance of better tactics....when in reality it still blindly moves forward
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

• That means it does fight better - much like Civ I.

I have an empire with isolated groups of cities (from past wars) on 3 continents. The AI is going for them as it should. That's an improvement on civ II.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• in theory its not always the weakest cities that should be attacked ...more like the most strategic ones..... with horse iron saltpeter , alluminum etc....

Comment

• I don't have high expectations from AI but the fact that it attacks in strength and goes for weak points is a big improvement.
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

• I have to agree with AH, war4. Even in its swarm, it knows how to surround, to keep some units in reserve and to cut off key roads...pretty much the way I tend to fight. The AI in Civ2 did absolutely none of this. For example, in my current game, I have been engaged, off and on, in a long ancient age warfare with the Germans (I'm French). I have hogged all of the horse resources in our part of the continent and when they go on the offensive (which I help to bring about), they go around three fortified cities near the border and right at the two weaker cities near 2 horses. They are sending vet/elite archers and warriors and I manage to hold most of them off with walled spearmen, but they are suprised by my vet horsemen waiting in ambush.

After two campaigns of this, they are going right at the horsemen while they swing around along the coast. Right now, my horsemen can't get at the two groups but I know my defenses will hold. I have to keep this up because I have been constantly 2-3 techs behind everyone with no wonders (near the end of the middle age). I get caught up just for a short while when they sue for peace, but I can't keep this up. In the meantime, I'm having to pour everything into culture are the expense of mounting a heavy offensive and tech research.

I am waiting to Cavalry to take out the 6 large German cities because that will be the only time I'll have an advantage on them. Musketeers unique unit won't help at all because they are not on offensive unit.

Comment

• I'm using very heavy concentrations of artillery in my city assault stacks, seems to work well but maybe too many. The inf units seem to have better offensive ability than in civ II.

Comment

• What's the deal with courthouses? I rushed one in a city to try to reduce corruption and speed up the time to build a Forbidden Palace, and it had absolutely no effect at all, even under democracy. 10 shields before, with 9 wasted. Afterwards, 10 shields, with 9 wasted. Same effect with commerce too.
                "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                Jonathan Swift

Comment

• I am fairly convinced that courthouses aren't working correctly.It is near impossible to get anymore than 1 sheild out of some cities.No matter what you do.This doesn't seem quite right.
                  Its not awful on the same landmass(not good either but managable)..but as soon as you hit the seas....maybe they never wanted you to...no that can't be it.
                  In my current monarch level game,My Republic cities bring in 806 per turn right now.491 of that is being lost to corruption.That seems a little severe.With or without courthouses.
                  The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

• Is there a compiled list of these unbalanced features/bugs somewhere, that can be sent to the people at Firaxis for upcoming patches?

Carolus

Comment

• Smash: my courthouse was on the same landmass even. It had no effect whatsoever on corruption. Except for the fact that I haven't built any other courthouses to test it, I'd say it has to be a bug.
                      "I think the advantages by the proposal which I have made are obvious and many, as well as of the highest importance."
                      Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Bird..... courthouse, wltkd, democracy etc....still isn't enough to combat the corruption bug......if the city is far enough away, there isn't much you can do......

i have democracy much better than republic or monarchy however....

a patch to tweak this problem is a must

Comment

• I susepct they couldn't find a way to differentiate the difficulty levels so they tweaked up corruption. On Chieftain its not a problem at all.

A bad solution all round.

Comment

• Oops. I just posted my answer in another thread.
                            It's about casting a dollar vote.
                            I'm casting my dollar vote by never buying Civ III SP.
                            Down the road, it will be the same as Civ II and Civ II MGE.
                            I'll wait.

oh yeah, and patches suck.
                            Just another indication that they wanted the bucks now, rather than doing the game correctly.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• thats why for a couple of hours work and a cheap disk you pirate games..... make them put something worth buying out on the market...and if u feel guilty about it ...play the game , delete it , and buy it at the discount bin....... or buy the MP version when it comes out....

are matey... have you ever been to sea

i refuse to pay for crap again...... and civ3 is soooooooooo boring now.... i have only one level to beat and one victory condition left to achieve....once i get cultural victory on deity this game is finished unitl mp (if we ever get there) or if the patch(es) fix things

Comment

• I'm finding the interfaces annoying but apart from that I'm having fun. The AI is giving me a hammering in some areas whilst I'm winning in others. My armies are fighting on 2 continents. On one continent, I'm facing the French and Germans. I've almost run out of infantry and am at risk losing about 20 pieces of artillery. But reinforcements are soon to arrive (9 inf). If I can finish off resistance on the second continent, where I've conquered the Babs and am now finishing off the Zulus, I can turn all my attention to French and Germans. But naval battles are hotting up and I must control the seas between the battle zones to have any chance. Will I get there in time? I'm fighting a coalition of 5 civs. Meanwhile, my homeland continent is in danger of invasion by the French, who have better ships than me.

Happy as a pig in mud
                                Last edited by Alexander's Horse; November 27, 2001, 20:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X