Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SimAnt was far too easy to 'beat'.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

how about for the old NES -

Excite Bike
      Zelda
      Super Mario 1&3 (sorry, but I have always loved that game...)
      Tecmo Super Bowl
      Tetris

and Sega:
      Joe Montana Football 94
      Sonic 2
      Columns

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by johnmcd on 09-17-2000 06:58 AM
        weird, its a great game. What difficulty level were you playing it at?

Sorry it took so long to get back on this--I couldn't log on at work this time. (But when I do they never know, heh, heh.)
        I was playing on the hard level, but I could never get past a certain time frame. I used somebody's advice I read somewhere and tried selling off some of my unused equipment for cash, but every expedition got harder and harder and usually the "backers" would pull my funding and I'd lose. If anybody knows of a faq or guide to the game I'd probably give it another go 'round, because I did like the concept and the eerie setting of the game. It just drove me crazy fighting the aliens, if I remember correctly.

[This message has been edited by Longfistking (edited September 18, 2000).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Hanson on 09-17-2000 06:02 PM
          Longfistking: If you think Enemy Unknown is tough, you should try X-COM Apocalypse. Damn, that one is a real *****...
          Anyway, if you find that you keep getting toasted on it, the best advice I can offer is to research heavy plasma guns a soon as possible. And during a combat, keep saving the game. If your men die, load the game again and keep trying various methods until you pull through.

Thanks for the advice. My memory comes back on it now, and I remember getting wiped out when the aliens would attack various cities. I'd end up killing civilians and the darned critters would outnumber me and trap me in my ship and someone would go nuts on the crew and I'd be left with two guys against fifteen aliens and armed only with shotguns (or the equivalent). What a crazy game. And, if memory serves, I'd try researching heavy plasma, only to get sent out on missions to save a city and get fried, or get into a gunning match with the aliens in Mexico and investigate the crash site, only to be ambushed in the dark by those little bald alien babies. Weird, weird, weird. Like I mentioned above, if you know of any guidebooks let me know. If I can only figure it out, then those aliens would be toast, as you put it.

Comment

Civilization II
            Civilization I
            Pirates!
            Railroad Tycoon
            Colonization

Well, what can I say, Sid Meier rules!

Comment

The best computer games ever:

Civilization II (PC)
              Civilization I (Amiga)
              Pirates! (Amiga)
              Railroad Tycoon (Amiga)
              Colonization (PC)

Comment

The best computer games ever:

Civilization II (PC)
                Civilization I (Amiga)
                Pirates! (Amiga)
                Railroad Tycoon (Amiga)
                Colonization (PC)

Comment

Please pardon me for my many posts. I clicked the submit button several times because I thought it didn't work. Sorry about that.

Comment

Before Civilization...

*Empire* with "In the hall of the Mt King" as the theme song

The old Avalon Hill board games like:
                    Blitzkrieg
                    Jutland(played on the floor of a room as the North Sea)

But..
                    chess, and risk have been fun too
                    The journey itself is the thing~Odysseus

Comment

Fallout
                      C&C : all of them
                      Diablo
                      Sim City
                      Privateer 2 : The darkening
                      netmaze : in school on the IPX.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Crustacian on 09-21-2000 05:33 PM
                        Before Civilization...
                        The old Avalon Hill board games like:
                        Blitzkrieg

I was cleaning my basement last night and came across my copy of Panzer Blitz. I look at it now and wonder how I ever survived without a mouse and keyboard to move the pieces.

------------------
                        Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                        Frodo lives!

Comment

Good thread! I'm not much of a gamer (tend to play things I find in bargain bins or that get passed along by a friend) but here are mine, in chronological order:

On my old Amiga 500:
                          Bard's Tale
                          Empire
                          Bard's Tale 2

Then, on my Mac:
                          Syndicate
                          Populous (until I gave up trying to beat Nike)
                          Pax Imperia (fun, but way too easy to beat)
                          Sim City 2000
                          Doom
                          Quake

And now, on the laptop, Civ ToT

Honorable mention to Myst, Riven, Labyrinth of Time, and Seventh Guest, all of which absorbed me but none of which have any replayability (and can't therefore be addictive, right?)

Honorable future mention to Fallout, the game that was grabbing me before Civ stole my attention away.

------------------
                          But there must be a war! I've paid a month's rent on the battlefield!
                          -- Rufus T. Firefly
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Axis and Allies (board game)
                            SimCity 2000 (Mac LC)
                            GoldenEye 007 (N64)
                            Zelda: a link to the past (SNES)
                            Zelda 64 (N64)

and the best for last:

Civilization (Atari ST)

And a quiz: any one here ever had one of these STs?

As for Civ II, I only had it for 2 weeks now and only had time to play one game, which I abandoned somewhere in 1980 after the world had turned into a thermonuclear wasteland. Well, it's their fault, they all turned against me, they didn't use to do that in the original civ...

------------------
                            Marche ou crève
                            Mangez en donc un char

Comment

Axis and Allies (board game)
                              SimCity 2000 (Mac LC)
                              GoldenEye 007 (N64)
                              Zelda: a link to the past (SNES)
                              Zelda 64 (N64)

and the best for last:

Civilization (Atari ST)

And a quiz: any one here ever had one of these STs?

As for Civ II, I only had it for 2 weeks now and only had time to play one game, which I abandoned somewhere in 1980 after the world had turned into a thermonuclear wasteland. Well, it's their fault, they all turned against me, they didn't use to do that in the original civ...

------------------
                              Marche ou crève
                              Mangez en donc un char

Comment

Five favorite games:

1. Starcraft. IMO, this is THE classic RTS game, mainly for its brilliant balancing of three wildly diverse races. Also, the AI is quite aggressive and will keep you on your toes until it runs out of resources.

2. Age of Kings. Technically, it's a better game than Starcraft but it somehow lacks the gonzo energy of the former. Anyway, I tend to favor historically based games because it allows me to rationalize that they're educational and good for me.

3. SimCity 2000. This was the first computer game I got hooked on (Myst just didn't do it for me). I actually learned a few things about city planning in the process.

4. Civilization II. Of course. It's the most complex and challenging computer game I've ever played. Great replay value too.

5. Battletoads and Double Dragon (SNES). I found this unlauded game in the bargain bin at Kaybee's and have had great fun playing it with my nephew. It's a standard game where you and an ally go through various obstacles and meet a boss at the end but the twist is that if you aren't careful when fighting, you can accidently punch out your partner.

Comment

Working...
                                X