No announcement yet.

Did they mess up the science wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smash, I think it was more an oversight then a programming problem on the same continent issue based on the fact that each hex square reference coordinate includes the continent number which is used in other features. (i.e the goto command window will only list cities on the same continent as unit.) To program the wonder powers using the same concept, couldn't have been much harder. Probably real easy.
    Lazy or careless. Take your pick.

RAH
    Director of Application Development for a large research company.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'll second the motion that we need Civ3. Either that or a new Civ2 patch with some of these questions and problems confronted. Ahhh...to dream.
      "Three word posts suck!" - me

"...and I never will play the Wild Rover no more..." - Various

Comment

Tell me about it. I am trying to write my own civ3 using the rules.txt - talk about futility!!

btw - someone must have stolen my password and posted that I didn't realize Cope's was +100%. Of course I knew that... (The car has been in the garage being worked on so long I am forgetting how to drive!)

Happy Friday.
        Be the bid!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 09-14-2000 10:59 PM
          Well,that may be a mistake of sorts also.Is it not possible that, in the concept stage,game designers wanted them to be SAME continent wonders?

Hoover Dam does not supply power to Hawaii.Or Alaska for instance.

Then,during actual programing,it was found impossible or too difficult to do?Keep in mind this was made eons ago in computer terms.

Nope: in civ1 Hoover's & JSB only worked on the continental level. If they could do it then, they could probably do it 5 years later.

More likely either 1) a case of manual being written before game finished, whereas writer had to rely on civ 1 for information, or 2) irritated players not likeing wonder that only worked on one continent. Especially when a dumb AI built it on a 1 city island. Of all the games of civ1 I played, I particularly remember a game where the Mongols built Hoover's on a 1 city island in the middle of nowhere. grrrrrrrrrrr........
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, obviously SOMEONE made a booboo. I suspect the programmers, since in my opinion the later Wonders do tend to be more powerful. But I've also noticed that, in my games, there tends to be a period roughly corresponding to the dark and medieval ages when tech development seems to slow down just as it did in real-world Europe. Maybe Copernicus is actually intended to help us through that slow time.

Some good points have been made, but not connected up. As HsFB noted, libraries and universities and research labs only ADD 50% of BASE science (just as markets and banks and stocks and factories and power plants and mfg plants only ADD 50% of BASE). But Copernicus and Newton MULTIPLY the combined total. That's much more powerful. Since libraries and universities only add, kcbob's calculations based on 12 beakers would actually produce only 72 beakers, not 81:

(12 + 6 (library) + 6 (university)) * 2 (CO) * 1.5 (IN)

Also, everyone seems to have forgotten that the two Wonders are often found in different cities! If YOU don't build them together, the AI certainly won't. And in that case, it DOES matter which one is 2x and which is only 1x.

Comment

Microprose had chosen to say that they've messed up the Civilopedia Entries.
              For evidence, please check the archived thread. http://apolyton.net/forums/Archives/...29-000011.html

Look for the end of the thread.
              You really want to take me seriously?
              Think twice!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by debeest on 09-22-2000 12:56 AM Since libraries and universities only add, kcbob's calculations based on 12 beakers would actually produce only 72 beakers, not 81:

(12 + 6 (library) + 6 (university)) * 2 (CO) * 1.5 (IN)

Dang Pentium III.

------------------
                Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
                Frodo lives!

Comment

Working...
                X