City size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• City size

What is the largest city cize? I have been able to get it to 31, but I can't figure out how to get it any higher. Any tips?
    Thanks!

food caravans

Send food caravans to your city
    1 food caravan = 1/2 food box
    If there is a granary in the city (or Pyramids in one of your cities), your city will grow even if it is starving, provided that you send 2 food caravans/turn to the city.
    You can grow the city well over size 100, but it is no use at all (except if you are looking for a high score: ask Rah )
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

The largest size your city can get without the help of food caravans is 46. That is, if you build your city in a spot with all grassland, and between 4 Oasis or Wheat specials. If you put farmland on all of that, each Grassland square will give 4 food, and the specials give 6 food. (for a total of 92 food, citizens eat 2 each, so the city can go up to size 46)

Aside from caravan help, it all comes down to the terrain. In the end game, if you want bigger cities, you can transform terrain to grassland or plains.

When a city is celebrating "We Love The _ Day" and has a food surplus, the city will grow by one population point each turn... But this will only last till your city reaches size 41, because after that there will be more entertainers than happy people.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I've heard of people changing the rules.txt file to make terrain like grassland provide 100 food instead of the default 2 (all 21 squares producing 100 food would yield over 2000 food per turn), which of course would make the city grow much larger than 46. Yet, I also recall reading that the max a city can grow (no matter how much food production it has, it is a hard limit inside the game engine) is 129. I'll have to search for it though. At 129, however, if it grows further, it will simply recycle back down to 1.
        No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

That's almost true, the maximum is 127. After that it flips over to -128 and then increases back to 1 and up (in ToT at least).
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

yeah 127 is the max....but that is kinda lame and annoying to get to.
            Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Hey, Mercator!

Thanks for the info. Say, can do you know of any map of East Asia that encompasses Mongolia/Korea to Indonesia? Hence including China, Japan, Burma, Taiwan, Vietnam, Philippines, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore.

I want to write a scenario about pre-industrial Asia.

Comment

You could try this:

(especially the Asia and Pacific entries)
                ... But I don't think there are too many interesting ones. I'd have to dig a little in my personal collection (if I don't forget).

Comment

Thank you, I will try that.

I know I know, I could edit my own, but I just don't have the patience (or the time) for such tedious work.

If you find anything, please pass it along to me.

Comment

I didn't find any.

( ordering my maps in a database would be really helpful...)

Comment

Yeah, searching for civ2 maps is a pain. There seems to be so few out there.

Say, will your map utility some day be able to create random maps? It took me a while to figure out how to make a randomized giga map. I had to install the "no limits" patch and do it from the civ2 executable.

You know, I magically turned my FW into MGE (I think the method is hush hush here at Apolyton) just a few days ago. And wow, those giga maps are something else! For almost a decade I yearned to play bigger maps, and now here they are!

Comment

My friend Julius (Brenzaida), the author of the 'no limits' patch, doesn't post any longer because he's very busy in RL.
                        But I guess he would reply if you pm or e-mail him.

Comment

Originally posted by sirsnuggles
                          Say, will your map utility some day be able to create random maps?
                          Not likely... But I know a great map randomizer (Civ.Map.Gen, not by me), it's available on my website (see homepage link or signature), but it can't create gigamaps... In fact, it has some extra quirky limitations on map size.

Comment

I just received a message from Julius telling me "hello, I'm on vacation".
                            The time has come to join him if needed

Comment

There's a lot of civ maps! how can you say that there aren't enough!

you can always visit my site for a few

-->Visit CGN!
                              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                              X