No announcement yet.

Our World in 1640AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they only have two that we can see. what if washington ahs pikemen behind those city walls? would our crusaders, or even dragoons stand a chance?

Comment

If we're going to be that way why don't we just completely halt our attacks until we get armor (sarcasm)? We have to attack with overwhelming numbers of units; of course the defender has the advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
        2. Build many barracks and then crusaders (and later dragoons). As veterans, they are almost as strong as cavalry. We could conceivably have a sizeable force ready before the AI reaches gunpowder.
        But vet units become "green" units after transformation by Leo's Workshop !
        JCP
        Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Good campaign, Prez.
          For the following, as main cities are walled, let us not waste our brilliant units in front attacks.
          As communist, bribing is not a bad thing if it is for a good goal !
          The aim may be to conquer Egyptian Capital, by sabotage of the walls with diplomats, then attacking by crusaders and, after conquest, bribing their poor remaining cities.
          For Americans, we need more forces, with high attack power (I like progress to cavalry in that situation) .
          JCP
          Paris, FRANCE

Comment

Peering (cautiously) into our immediate future, I foresee Diplomats taking out the Walls, Cannons assaulting the cities, followed by a wave of Mounted units (whatever kind we have). If/when we are offered Communism itself, I will go for it to get Spies (they are far more effective than Dips).

I expect we will be reducing defenders with Ironclads, occupying cities with Mounted units, and defending them with Riflemen soon. When we have Cavalry, with Cannons we should be able to take cities at will.

We should make sure to eliminate our enemies one at a time (for now, maybe 2 at a time later) to prevent re-growth. I note that our game rules are that destroyed civs will be re-created, so I would leave one weak city in each civ until we can destroy them all at once later.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
              If we're going to be that way why don't we just completely halt our attacks until we get armor (sarcasm)? We have to attack with overwhelming numbers of units; of course the defender has the advantage.
              i just don't see how an effective campaign can be carried out with our current forces or even lots of our current types of units. the defenders strength is too great right now IMO

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower

i just don't see how an effective campaign can be carried out with our current forces or even lots of our current types of units. the defenders strength is too great right now IMO
                Rest assured that we will not be attacking cities without some good idea of the defense they have. If we can take them at a reasonable cost, we will. If it takes other methods, we will do that. I hate losing units to no purpose.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

Reducing enemies with ironclads??!! If we're worrying about crusaders having a hard time of it, doesn't it stand to reason that Ironclads, who have 1 less attack, would be even more likely to die?

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                    1. Build hordes of crusaders now, and research our way to cavalry. Leo's Workshop will make our swarm of crusaders (att=5) a swarm of cavalry (att=8). The AI will probably have gunpowder by then, but we will have both strength and numbers.
                    We could also massproduce twice the amount horsies and upgrade them

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker
                      Reducing enemies with ironclads??!! If we're worrying about crusaders having a hard time of it, doesn't it stand to reason that Ironclads, who have 1 less attack, would be even more likely to die?
                      Ironclads ignore city walls....

Comment

I feel we should not attack them at all. Leave the Americans alone. Negotiate peace with them and make them our Allies. I am sure they will become a strong and very valuable allie. Let us end this bloody conquest of imperialism and focus on trade, the economy, health, life expectancy, and literacy. It is not sufficient that we should be the only civilization in the world.
                        Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
                        Commanding II Corps
                        Union Army of the Potomac

Comment

Originally posted by Gen. Hancock
                          I feel we should not attack them at all. Leave the Americans alone. Negotiate peace with them and make them our Allies. I am sure they will become a strong and very valuable allie. Let us end this bloody conquest of imperialism and focus on trade, the economy, health, life expectancy, and literacy. It is not sufficient that we should be the only civilization in the world.
                          allies....
                          sniff...with the AI...and how are we going to do such a thing???

Shade(I really can't remember the last time I had even 1 allie and I play 2.42 not even MGE)
                          ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                          "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                          shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

Originally posted by shade
                            allies...with the AI...and how are we going to do such a thing???
                            Effectively, with all AI civs continuously uncooperative at least, alliance is largely unreallistic !

(I really can't remember the last time I had even 1 allie and I play 2.42 not even MGE)
                            How play OCC without allies ?
                            JCP
                            Paris, FRANCE

Comment

I'm quite a new citizen (been looking at this for a while, but not posted), but maybe I can offer my advice?

You say you're worried about the pikemen that might be in walled cities. Presumably, there would be attack units as well? I propose this..

Several archers (or equivalent) fortify themselves in a square each adjacent to the city. After a few turns, the cities attack units will have attacked, and hopefully lost (provided the archers are veteran). After this, the weakened archers are withdrawn, and immediately a new group of archers is brought in, to the same positions. This continues until the enemy units stop attacking from within the city - this means their attack units are dead.

We then move two settlers in to one of the squares a fortified archer occupies. They both build a fortress, so it will be built very quickly. The other archers withdraw, and all fortify in this new fortress. That has taken care (hopefully) of the cities attack capabilities.

After this, the settlers move round the city, building fortresses at strategically placed points so enemy units can not escape, and new ones can not get through the gaps. The archers then fortify these new fortresses (probably 3 fortresses in total). The city is now completely under siege.

Finally, to take the city, diplomats take out the city walls, and the huge horde of crusaders someone suggested we build will attack. However, it would probably be far better if diplomats took out these buildings:
                              City Walls, Happiness buildings (Temple, Colloseam, Cathedral etc).

After that, the city should, hopefully go into disorder, and it can be bribed more easily. I'm not sure about the state of our finances, but maybe its time for a tax increase?

Just my thoughts
                              Roar!

Comment

It sounds pretty neat and all but by then we'll probably have mobile warfare or something.

Comment

Working...
                                X