All important decisions to date - A VPs report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All important decisions to date - A VPs report

OK ppl. I haven't been too active here the last few days, partly 'cause I have just finished going through almost EVERY thread on this site from day one, and here are my collated results. These are grouped into various little categories, and all facts have been polled on or decided by the relevant Ministers. Let this thread be a springboard for discussions on any that ppl are now unhappy with. Also I would ask ppl to discuss the questions that have been brought up from my researches and to ask anything that is bugging them. If you don't want to do so openly - PM your friendly VP! Confidence guaranteed, and service with a smile.

Responsibilities of Cabinet

Prez:

Plays the game
    If supplied with conflicting advice/polls and there is no time/way to straighten this out, the Prez makes the final decisions.
    If the matter is urgent enough (eg imminent invasion/loos of capital city), the Prez is expected to seek help from Ministers/the Public and NOT go it alone.
    Should post a turn-by-turn account of their play (nothing too detailed, just major troop movements, conquests etc, Wonder/technology news...)
    Gets to name cities

VP:

Posts nomination thread
    Posts election polls
    Becomes Minister if that Minister is absent for 24hr
    Becomes Prez in event of abdication - holds position until next elections

SMC:

Military polls, exploration

Sci:

Setting science rate (in conjunction with Trade Advisor)
    Tech targets (main and secondary for just in case situations where we can't go for the one we want) - should be for a tree of several techs so we don't have to stop every time we get one.

Trade:

All uses of caravans (Wonders, trade with ourselves/others, rushing other things)
    Setting tax rate (in conjunction with Science Advisor)

City Planner:

What to do with workers and when to build them
    Build queues. When polling on possible build queues, the Minister decides the most important ones for himself (in consultation with public/Council if necessary) and poll only on these important ones
    Unhappiness Issues

Imperial Exploration:

Where to build cities
    Cultivation (improving terrain)

Deputy Ministers:

Do not get the save game.
    May be required to take over if the actual Minister disappears (will be decided when/if it happens)

Historian:

Writes a narrative of all that happens during a term (see -Jrabbit's excellent ones for a good indicator of what you are to do) with excessive smilies (important! :doitnow: ) and must be prepared to be contacted for news to put on the Apolyton Civ2 news site (has happened twice)

Foreign:

All foreign affairs, use of diplomats/spies and government change

General Cabinet

Each person may hold 1 post at a time.
    Cabinet gets the save.
    Absolutely NO play to be done by any but the Prez
    NOBODY is allowed to check the map by cheating or playing into the future for an advantage
    NO reloading for favourable outcomes of huts, battles etc.

Everybody

Anyone can be a member of Apolytonia.
    All are allowed (and encouraged ) to vote on polls
    Any concerns should be posted or PMed to Ministers - this IS a Democratic game!

Elections

Elections end of every month.
    Each citizen may be in the Cabinet for four terms in a row only - need a responsibility-free month before they can run again. The only exception is if there is no other candidate for a position in an election - this should be considered last resort material
    Self Nominations OK
    Once elected (polls close and Cabinet names are posted in High Council thread by the Prez) Ministers must PM their emails to the Prez

Our initial setup

Normal start
    Multiplayer Gold Edition
    Deity
    Raging Hordes
    Destroyed Civ restart
    Normal Map
    Leader name: Fearless Leader

United Apolyton - Dark Blue colour

Science rate at 60%

'Till I am needed again, I will be lurking.

(Tired) VP MrWhereItsAt.

Oh, and here's the Apolyton flag, courtesy of ColdWizard. Mmm. European.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; May 24, 2002, 11:23.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

City Planner:

City sites
    What to do with workers and when to build them
    Build queues. When polling on possible build queues, the Minister decides the most important ones for himself (in consultation with public/Council if necessary) and poll only on these important ones

Imperial Exploration:

Cultivation (improving terrain)
    Imperial expansion should be in charge of city sites, city planner in charge of production and settlers (if the city planner controls them and the IE advisor does the cultivation, wont there be some major conflicts?)

Comment

Exactly my point. Until now City Planner has been exactly that - planning where the cities go. Time for a change, anyone?
      Consul.

Comment

are you sure? I think that steele as IE advisor made some city site polls...

Comment

You may be right, but I've had FAR more than enough researching for tonight.
          Consul.

Comment

it took a lot of sorting through old threads to compile that list, but I'm not tired, it's morning where i live!

Comment

Same here, only it's 1:20am on Monday morn'. I'm just waiting for the Cartoon Network Anime to finish and then I'll be gone so all the debate can begin.
              Consul.

Comment

The *working* understanding while I was City-Planner was that Minister of Expansion sited places for new cities (and otherwise considered the expansion of the Civ, while the City-Planner was dedicated to the maintenance and efficiency of existing cities (Worker placement, city improvement, unhappiness issues, etc). Once a city was built, it became the City-Planners domain.
                Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I don't think the VP should have the power to impeach the President. Since in contested elections the VP is the loser of that election, there could be some conflicts of interests. It should not be the VP.

But if not the VP, then who (for it *should* be possible). Should it be a "Palace Coup" by the Ministers (who would either select one of their own or start a citizen poll) or should it be limited to Citizen vote of "no confidence" (and originated by who?).

I suggest it should be whenever 20% (to allow for the fact that there are some inactive citizens) of the registered citizens demand a "no confidence" vote, the poll to be administered by the VP.

In other words, the poll would be: "Should X continue as President" (yes/no). If "no", then the VP takes over.

I don't want it to be complicated, but I also don't want this to degenerate into a series of coup d' etats.
                  Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

From my experience as a Citizen, a Minister, and as President:

"What happens during anarchy? Does the President have any more power than normal? Is continued anarchy regarded as a Presidntial/Cabinet failure?"

No additional power. We aren't quite role-playing the government-forms here. Continued anarchy may be beyond control (but not very likely). Impeachment should only be for general reasons and by a procedure. Not automatic in any situation.

"Foreign advisor needed for war decisions? "

The Foreign Minister should only poll and advise, like the other Ministers. We need to keep control in the hands of the Citizens.

"President has veto right on the Senate? - What does this mean?"

When conflicting demands or recommendations are presented to the President by the Ministers, the President has to decide which course to follow. The Monister's reports are made just prior to game time, so there is little opportunity for further polling. We do need to keep the game moving.

"If there is a threat of invasion on the capital we have a 24 hour poll to grant the Prez "special powers" (undefined)?"

Most likely, you won't know that ahead of time or it would have been discussed and planned for. In the course of a session, the President has to play the game. However, in unforeseen and serious situations, the President is expected to cut the session short and seek the advice of the Citizens and Ministers. During game play, I might well email or PM a Minister (or several) to ask for advice.

"Prez or Vice decides tied polls? Or do we repoll?"

The President should decide on tied polls.

"Should the Prez decide on their own when and what to rush-buy? This has been the case until now."

The President needs to be free to make decisions in game play not otherwise decided by the Citizens and Ministers previously. There is usually 5 days of discussion before the President plays a session. If a subject hasn't been discussed in that time, let him decide on it. I don't see any other way that doesn't stifle the game.

"City Planner consults with Military Advisor during war on build queues?"

I think each Minister has to make their own recommendations from their own specialty. All participate in the polls and discussions, so everyone's views should have been made known. The President has to decide when there is conflict.

"Idea of deputy Ministers has been brought up but not decided upon - what should they do?"

Deputy Ministers are honorary only, by will of the actual Minister. They have no actual rights, but maybe they are the heir-apparent if a Minister must resign the post. Let's not get too complicated here.

"MBloom III and shade posted turn-by-turn accounts of their Presidency - shall we continue this tradition or just get the Historian to do it?"

The President is obligated to keep an account of the session and post it. The Historian will turn it into a glorious story worth telling. The Citizens and Ministers should at least have a way to understand how the "new world" came to be after each Presidential session. It is the only information the Citizens have to understand what happened since the previous session. At least the Ministers get the game file. I insist that we keep the Citizens informed at some level.

Comment

Re: All important decisions to date - A VPs report

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                      Questions
                      President has veto right on the Senate? - What does this mean?
                      no,
                      the veto right is that he can decide to change the result of a poll if he wants to,
                      i think is too much power for the president

If there is a threat of invasion on the capital we have a 24 hour poll to grant the Prez "special powers" (undefined)?
                      I dont´ like the idea

Prez or Vice decides tied polls? Or do we repoll?
                      I think we should repoll

Should the Prez decide on their own when and what to rush-buy? This has been the case until now.
                      yes, it´s been the case, but I think we should poll about it, at least have the permission of the city planner and the trade minister

City Planner consults with Military Advisor during war on build queues?
                      yes

Idea of deputy Ministers has been brought up but not decided upon - what should they do?
                      we don´t have enought people to have deputy Ministers

MBloomIII and shade posted turn-by-turn accounts of their Presidency - shall we continue this tradition or just get the Historian to do it?
                      I think is a good idea, but I didn´t do it when i was the president...

Dark Cloud posted a list of active members on around April 1 - should we continue this? Are you still here, DC???
                      we have two lists, once in the initial thread, organised by adamsj and the darkcloud´s one,
                      i don´t think they are useless at all, but it would be nice to have a list with the active playesr

Responsibilities of Cabinet

Impeaches the Prez if the ppl are unhappy (strictly, if the Prez doesn't follow the poll results)
                      why??

Becomes Minister if that Minister is absent for 24hr
                      I like the idea, then we don´t need deputy ministers...

[/QUOTE]
                      Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
                      Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
                      miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Wow, too complicated. My understanding of Imperial Expansion was that the IE minister looked for city sites and the City Planner managed city build queues and development.
                        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
                        Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                        Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                        Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

I'd like to ask one other question. What about ministers voting on polls that they put up? Is that legal?
                          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson
                          Former Minister of City Planning of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                          Former Minister of Science of the third Civ2 Democracy Game
                          Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game

Comment

I would assume so.
                            "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Working...
                            X