'Poly Clock 6 Minutes Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      That's funny, I don't have any problems updating from third party servers.

Ever heard the expression PEBKAC?

I update from time.nist.gov

Edit: Check this stuff out: http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/its.htm
      Thanks for the flowers, Microserf. I use time.nist.gov too. It and M$'s are the only ones I know, that would talk with my WinXP client, whereas I have a list of several hundred servers, that would talk with my Linux machine (of which I, of course, use only 3).

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        A little too dry for continentals.........you should have added a BOOM BOOOM at the end of the sentence.
        Why would I want to sound like Basil Brush?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch

Why would I want to sound like Basil Brush?
          Just an image I have of you.

@FP, nice try.

Comment

My next avatar:
            Attached Files
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
              Thanks for the flowers, Microserf. I use time.nist.gov too. It and M$'s are the only ones I know, that would talk with my WinXP client, whereas I have a list of several hundred servers, that would talk with my Linux machine (of which I, of course, use only 3).
              Seeing as how painfully simple and open the protocol is (it's listed on the NIST website), whose fault is it that you use an older version?

Jeez.

It basically listens on port 13, sends a formatted string upon request.

You could code your own client in 5 minutes for it...

You wanna explain to me why you need more than one timeserver, by the way?
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Exactly, Asher. Only a geek wants to have extra NTP servers on his list.
                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Seeing as how painfully simple and open the protocol is (it's listed on the NIST website), whose fault is it that you use an older version?

Jeez.

It basically listens on port 13, sends a formatted string upon request.

You could code your own client in 5 minutes for it...

You wanna explain to me why you need more than one timeserver, by the way?
                  1 - time.nist.gov and time.microsoft.com are not compatible with the NTP protocol. You can neither use these services with Unix-type NTP servers/clients, nor can you use the hundreds of Unix-type NTP servers with Windows. It is, as always, a matter of the usual "embrace and extend". This time it went even without extension.

2 - the NTP port is 123/UDP. What you mean is the built-in system time service. It's different from NTP.

3 - yes I can, but what for? There are scores of clients available.

4 - Well, their addresses/IPs change from time to time. One would be sufficient indeed, but I can't be arsed to check this stuff more often than once a year.

Comment

I want my time back
                    CSPA

Comment

How can you want something back, you havn't even been given yet in the first place
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                        1 - time.nist.gov and time.microsoft.com are not compatible with the NTP protocol. You can neither use these services with Unix-type NTP servers/clients, nor can you use the hundreds of Unix-type NTP servers with Windows. It is, as always, a matter of the usual "embrace and extend". This time it went even without extension.
                        I still don't know what you're talking about.

The website for time.nist.gov says:
                        The NIST Internet Time Service (ITS) allows users to synchronize computer clocks via the Internet. The time information provided by the service is directly traceable to UTC(NIST). The service responds to time requests from any Internet client in several formats including the DAYTIME, TIME, and NTP protocols.

So if your NTP clients can't access it, the PEBKAC...

3 - yes I can, but what for? There are scores of clients available.
                        So why are you complaining?

Comment

I still don't know what you're talking about.
                          I really don't have the time to explain to you, what a non-RFC compiliant data format can cause. Live with your ignorance.

Comment

I'll live with my ignorance and functioning NTP clients.

Comment

And I should hope I don't have to remind you that RFCs aren't the be-all and end-all of anything, really. It's not like some organization like ANSI or IEEE or W3C doing them, it's just a bunch of people on their own time and initiative saying "we should have this work like so".

They're just as valid as any private company's implementation of something.

Comment

I'll live with my ignorance and functioning NTP clients.
                                Well, my clients are functioning too. Only that the Unix-style NTP servers don't work with WinXP, and the Gates-infested servers don't work with Un*x systems. So I can't use the NTP on my server (Linux) to correct the clock on the desktop PCs in my network (WinXP). It's really sad, that a realtive simple service format like NTP had to be screwed like Kerberos and so many others.

Comment

Working...
                                X