Finnish Apolytoner summit 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finnish Apolytoner summit 2003

Right, yesterday I talked to Kassi and Patriq on IRC about the idea that we would finally get arranged that first Finnish Apolytoner summit. The idea was discussed for the first time in late July last year, but as it was so late, the summit never took off and the idea was left untouched. As spring is approaching and the idea came up again, I decided to bring it up again so that we could finally get something agreed and have that real world meeting. So why do I bring the issue up now, despite there hasn't yet been any talk about the subject in the Suomithreadi? Well, people are soon deciding about what they do during the summer months and in general it seems to be good to agree in advance as we live quite split around the country, so organising a meeting isn't as easy as for Brits or Yanks who can easily gather numerous Apolytoners (no, I'm not jealous about it or neither do I want to offend you) from a smaller distance or just generally more easily.

I think there's several good proposals in the old thread ("Finnish Apolytoner meeting - official thread"), but to refresh the issue, the questions seem to be where and when.

When?

Well, apparently the summer months would be good as the majority of us are somekind of students, so that's when we have our holidays. However I do understand that we can't settle any dates and times yet, but at least somekind of a general outlook would be good.

Where?

This seemed to be the problem last year. Places have been proposed and seem to be possible are Helsinki, Turku, Tampere and suprise, suprise... Mänttä. Last year Helsinki seemed to be more popular option, but I do agree that some other location could be as good too. Mänttä is included as Kassi claimed he's too lazy to leave his basement, so we need to concider that too. Tampere is on the menu as Ignorance and I live here. I can't promise any services, but at least there's plenty of good places around here. What about Turku? I assume no one wants to have the summit there, so I skip it.

Suggestions about the place, schedule or the program?

At least we need to notice that we have quite a few minors among us, so we have to exclude the alternative of going to a bar/pub or a terrace, unless Aaglo claims that Kassi and the other minors are his foster children, we have a "mehukekkerit" party or have one of those McDonald's parties for kids. So a traditional picnic where everyone has their own food and drinks seems to be a quite good choice. Also one good idea would be that we could continue the meeting indoors or if the weather is bad (or we're just so lazy), we could stay indoors during the summit. Watching an episode of NGE wouldn't be a bad idea. If we have the meeting here in Tampere, I could most likely offer a place for indoor refuge, but I'm not sure about it and especially not for Helsinki and the other places. One abit crazy idea would be to have a dinner at Hotel Kämp.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Well, I stick to my position. I am not putting over 20 kilometers of distance between myself and my basement. So you don't want to keep it in Mänttä, if you want to avoid me.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Damn, are you trying to ruin the meeting before it has even been held? Well, we'd better come there then.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Helsinki would be my choice, being able to reach the place by bicycle or public transportation in fifteen minutes. Besides, we've got all the great famous-places-that-one-must-see, like that giant hole they happened to dig in the middle of the city.
        Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

I don't know about my situation, since I might (probably will) be moving before summer. I'm considering Tam-tam-tampere.
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Well, if I need an excuse to get there, it would be to see the new National Museum or to buy a few more plastic Tux beer steins from DataClub. Suomenlinna was proposed last year, so that's a quite a good option. But then the indoors resort is left to be solved.

Generally I think we need to get as many suggestions as possible. Also one thing is the issue how many of us would be ready to travel abit for the summit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
              I don't know about my situation, since I might (probably will) be moving before summer. I'm considering Tam-tam-tampere.
              Great, then we would have two votes for Tampere. We might get even Kassi here as he can't get too stressed by that bus trip from Mänttä. Or could he...?

Comment

Rasbelin, are you trying to say my absence would ruin the meeting? No, seriously, I can't arrange a bus trip to Tampere. On summer, my sleep rhythm would mean the meet is held in the night, and besides, I really don't want to explain to my parents that I am going to Tampere because I want to meet people I know over the Internet.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Jeez... What kind of parents do you have?

Anyway, I think we need to wait a few days and see how people turn up with suggestions, before we talk about the details. Or has anyone already some good suggestions?

Comment

I can't yet say if I'll be able to come but my choice for location is: Helsinki

Comment

EDIT: I'm posting my opinions here, for the reasons I've explained in Suomithreadi and IRC...

Ajattelin jättäytyä 500 postiin kun sinne pääsen, pitkäksi aikaa... pidän tasaluvuista.
                      ...so...

I doubt all of the Finns will agree with your plans, and they probably want to have this nice nerdy meeting with soda and sliced bread. BUT! Why don't WE, you, I, and Andemagne (possibly others, if interested ) hold a private-meeting! That bus-idea seems quite good, but I'm sure that if we bonk our wise heads together we'll figure out something even more fun - beer, chicks and rock'n'roll
                      Erm, since neither of me or Kassiopeia is coming, all of you guys... are over 18, isn't it so?
                      So, there's no need to separate plans, you can all go to this 'private meeting'...
                      I agree that Helsinki would be the best idea.

BTW, I'm not coming, so I'll abstain. This is just a suggestion, have a good time...
                      Last edited by RGBVideo; March 25, 2003, 02:45.

Comment

No one expected you either.

I guess Helsinki looks like the strongest candidate now.

Comment

Helsinki
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Re: Finnish Apolytoner summit 2003

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                            Right, yesterday I talked to Kassi and Patriq on IRC about the idea that we would finally get arranged that first Finnish Apolytoner summit.
                            well you'll have to plan it for a cloudy day, otherwise you'll never get kass outside

Comment

I guess you're right, TKG.

Comment

Working...
                              X