No announcement yet.

25006 members and counting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But is tracking down DLs really that important? Sure if they act up, catch them. But if it is simply someone that has two accounts and posts harmlessly in the OT or posts serious responses in the on topic forums, where's the foul? I can't believe that Mark or Dan has time to track down all the DLs. If they catch one, good, however they should not and don't need to go after everyone all the time.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I disagree. If there is no rule against DL's then people will create them to troll posters they don't like, as several people have suggested here. So the rule is desirable, and lack of enforcement merely renders the rule impotent.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
        I disagree. If there is no rule against DL's then people will create them to troll posters they don't like, as several people have suggested here. So the rule is desirable, and lack of enforcement merely renders the rule impotent.
        I am not saying its a bad rule. In fact it is a really good one, DLs have been abused countless times on Poly. Look above for examples.

What I am saying is that using all these tools to get around dynamic IP addresses is a waste of time. Nobody working on this site has an infinite amount of time, why spend it searching to find out if there are any more DLs? Sure, if someone is being a pest on the board, check to see if they are a DL. Then ban them. But to simply check everyone's account to find out what is going on would be a waste of time and not help the board.

It seems to me that the only time that we should really be working on DLs is if they are a problem. If, at the time they are behaving themselves, why even investigate whether they are legit or not?
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

What I am saying is that using all these tools to get around dynamic IP addresses is a waste of time. Nobody working on this site has an infinite amount of time, why spend it searching to find out if there are any more DLs? Sure, if someone is being a pest on the board, check to see if they are a DL. Then ban them. But to simply check everyone's account to find out what is going on would be a waste of time and not help the board.
          I think the reality is already how you wish it would be.

Comment

BTW, it's mostly up to Ming, MtG and Rah to chase the DLs, so Dan and Markos are more into content writing.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
              It seems to me that the only time that we should really be working on DLs is if they are a problem. If, at the time they are behaving themselves, why even investigate whether they are legit or not?
              Who says that there aren't well-behaved DLs still posting on Apolyton?
              To be honest, I don't know either, but I'm sure there are still some around.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
              X