X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skanky Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by tniem
    It seems to me that the only time that we should really be working on DLs is if they are a problem. If, at the time they are behaving themselves, why even investigate whether they are legit or not?
    Who says that there aren't well-behaved DLs still posting on Apolyton?
    To be honest, I don't know either, but I'm sure there are still some around.

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    BTW, it's mostly up to Ming, MtG and Rah to chase the DLs, so Dan and Markos are more into content writing.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    Originally posted by tniem

What I am saying is that using all these tools to get around dynamic IP addresses is a waste of time. Nobody working on this site has an infinite amount of time, why spend it searching to find out if there are any more DLs? Sure, if someone is being a pest on the board, check to see if they are a DL. Then ban them. But to simply check everyone's account to find out what is going on would be a waste of time and not help the board.
    I think the reality is already how you wish it would be.

Leave a comment:

• tniem
    replied
    Originally posted by DrSpike
    I disagree. If there is no rule against DL's then people will create them to troll posters they don't like, as several people have suggested here. So the rule is desirable, and lack of enforcement merely renders the rule impotent.
    I am not saying its a bad rule. In fact it is a really good one, DLs have been abused countless times on Poly. Look above for examples.

What I am saying is that using all these tools to get around dynamic IP addresses is a waste of time. Nobody working on this site has an infinite amount of time, why spend it searching to find out if there are any more DLs? Sure, if someone is being a pest on the board, check to see if they are a DL. Then ban them. But to simply check everyone's account to find out what is going on would be a waste of time and not help the board.

It seems to me that the only time that we should really be working on DLs is if they are a problem. If, at the time they are behaving themselves, why even investigate whether they are legit or not?

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    I disagree. If there is no rule against DL's then people will create them to troll posters they don't like, as several people have suggested here. So the rule is desirable, and lack of enforcement merely renders the rule impotent.

Leave a comment:

• tniem
    replied
    But is tracking down DLs really that important? Sure if they act up, catch them. But if it is simply someone that has two accounts and posts harmlessly in the OT or posts serious responses in the on topic forums, where's the foul? I can't believe that Mark or Dan has time to track down all the DLs. If they catch one, good, however they should not and don't need to go after everyone all the time.

Leave a comment:

• Rasbelin
    replied
    But there's tools for that too. So a dynamic IP number isn't a problem.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    Not with dynamic IPs.

Leave a comment:

• Frozzy
    replied
    Can't you just track the DLs IP address?

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    If in doubt, blame Skanky.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    Hehe yes I have seen. I was just commenting on Skanky's seemingly encyclopaedic knowledge of all things disreputable.

Leave a comment:

• tniem
    replied
    DrSpike,

You just have to be around here long enough to see many people caught for DLs and see why they were caught. There have been entire discussions going on among DLs in the past. There have been DLs created to get around bans for improper posts. There have been DLs created for anything you can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• DrSpike
    replied
    Looks like we have found the DL expert around here.

Leave a comment:

• Skanky Burns
    replied
    DLs are created for entertainment purposes. To cause trouble without getting consequences for their main login (well, thats the plan I presume).

And DLs could have made posts in a thread that was deleted (thus removing the post from their post count) or posting in the OT forum, a post-count dead zone.

Leave a comment:

• War4ever
    replied
    how many are dls

Leave a comment:

Working...
X