Originally posted by Henrik
      How about Pirates 2?
      Now you're talking!
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
        Errhhhmmm... that's abit biased. Not all of them are in an unifinished status. Take Linux, mySQL, PHP, FreeCiv, OpenBSD, OpenSSL and OpenOffice as an example. Are they "unifinished"? Nope.
        I didn't know you worked on those projects, or those projects - except FreeCiv - has anything to do with this website.

Neither can you say that only fully commercial products like Windows, Access, WordPerfect and PSP would be in a finished status.
        Did I? :rolleyes?:

Anyway...

If you have a look at how many open source TBS games can be found on SourceForge, you will see that there's currently 523 registered projects in that category. Some of them are dead like GGS, but many of them are steadily under development, but still progressing.
        Most of them aren't coming along with any speed.

In theory that would mean everyone interested should work on FreeCiv and their pure SMAC clone, based on FreeCiv. Nah, that's far from interesting. 1. FreeCiv is very complete after all. 2. The SMAC clone doesn't offer anything really new. 3. There's already people working on it. But in general it's an issue of diversity. At least I can't find any other project as interesting as Stella Polaris.
        Has SP posted on SourceForge yet? Will it ever be?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Did I?
          Nope.
          Has SP posted on SourceForge yet? Will it ever be?
          Would you please spare a moment and tell me what this "SP" thingy is? If you refer to StP, I can only report that there's no alpha versions currently available as A1 is currently under work.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Looking how they ignored the wishlist, I preffer wait for Civ 4 like just another game.

Civ III is quite a deception in a long amount of points, especially the world graphics and conception. At least, the AI is really good . In a whole vision of the game, is a good one, but still insuficient for me.

Probably, if someday we see a Civ IV, it will be in a 3D world with a true globe form and with volcanoes, tsunamis and beautiful things that give us the sensation of a living planet.

In the other hand, a good example of how a living and beautiful world can't hide that a game is too simplistic is in Black & White. Is quite boring collect tons of wood for just com ??"scafforlds"?? .
            Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

SMAC II? I would have to say no- the first game was far too dark- CIV IV- that woudl be great- if they improved the graphics and made it at least as good and expansive as CIV II!

Civ III is/was/will be a disappointment.

We need to start work on the Civ IV list already!

(luckily I have a preliminary list already created )
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Exactly DC. There are mixed responses to Civ3, but I think we all acknowledge, there is room for improvement! Hence we need a proper Civ4 section to start at some point. The more time we spend on it, the more we can refine our ideas!
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yes, Sid likest o wait until he would be able seriously improve something... probably Civ4 will be 3D or something like that (although I'd personally hardly imagine 3D TBS, but you know, some years ago I wouldn't have imagined 3D RTS also and even more years ago any 3D game...)

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                    I'd say forget the pros. They took their shot, it sucks, and they'll keep selling it as long as they can. If it ever comes to Civ4 they might undo their mistakes, they might not. They might come up with something worse than city-flipping.

Go back to Civ 2½. Get into Freeciv or some other independent effort.
                    I'll vote for that. We can use a few pairs of hands!

Btw, the next FC release is drawing near (1.14).
                    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                      I'd rather see a professionally done Colonization 2 first. Get out the banners and re-initiate the campaign.
                      yes. YES.
                      CSPA

Comment

I'm sort of disillusioned with CivGames, partially because their idea of leading a country is moving several thousand units into a neighboring zone each turn. What I need is a game that involves a lot less micromanagement, something that lets me concentrate on the macro-game, broad economics and diplomacy and whatnot.
                        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Mr. President, maybe you should try Birth of Federation? This one is set in space, but there is very small amout of micromanagement. You won't be able to build many spaceships because these costs much and you will be able to stack ones you have. As for city imrovements, you can just order them and everything will be built for you in time The only improvement on titles you can built is Outpost (and later you can upgrade that to Starbase), most of resources (probably money is the only resource though) are gotten in planets. Everything else is also very simple, so you can do diplomacy, etc. Space fights could be controlled manually if you want (they have awesome 3D graphics and later you can re-watch whole battle from starting point) or they can be done automatically. Everything is quite simple so you can stack to diplomacy, etc.

Comment

or try Age of Empires and Rise of Nations

Comment

jdd, RoN is not even published and AoE has no diplomacy/almost anything except war.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                                SMAC II? I would have to say no- the first game was far too dark- CIV IV- that woudl be great- if they improved the graphics and made it at least as good and expansive as CIV II!

Civ III is/was/will be a disappointment.

We need to start work on the Civ IV list already!

(luckily I have a preliminary list already created )
                                Why it doesn´t surprise me?
                                My vote goes to Civ IV too.
                                The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Working...
                                X