I think we should revisit the ban on posting PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we should revisit the ban on posting PM's

The problem I have with this is that currently Pms can be used to bully and harrass people. Usually when someone has posted a PM it is to expose this kind of intimidation.

The Pm's have become a real coward's castle. The intimidatory or harrassing PM is becoming more and more common. The current ban on posting Pm's encourages this.

Finally, by law in most western countries, if someone sends you a communication you have the right to do what you want with it. I believe this is constitutional right in the United States.

Please don't close this thread - I want a view from Mark and Dan on this.

Thanks.

Horsie.

P.S. don't send those Pm's to me. I always post them. The best way to deal with a cowardly bully is to expose them.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Erm, can the moderators view one's PMs? If not, which I assume, there is always the risk that it's actually not a PM sent to someone, but a forgery.
    If it really is cowardice, then why should the recipient bother to read them? Ignore and laugh at him/her I say.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

People can PM the mods about offending PMs. Threats are bannable offenses so if they are reported, you should have nothing to worry about as the people who sent them will get what they deserve.
      Last edited by Apocalypse; July 29, 2002, 20:45.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
        Erm, can the moderators view one's PMs? If not, which I assume, there is always the risk that it's actually not a PM sent to someone, but a forgery.
        If it really is cowardice, then why should the recipient bother to read them? Ignore and laugh at him/her I say.
        Moderators can view PMs, 'though Ming would have you believe that he doesn't make use of that power.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
          People can PM the mods about offending PMs. Threats are bannable offenses so if they are reported, you should have nothing to worry about as the people who sent them will be what they deserve.
          Hmmm... that pretty well sums it up nicely.

If you have a problem with received PM's... bring it to our attention.

PM's are PRIVATE... and as I've stated so many times, all you have to do is use a quote tag, and you can post any lie you want.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
            Moderators can view PMs, 'though Ming would have you believe that he doesn't make use of that power.
            Hmmm... you can ask AH. He wanted to use a PM as proof of what he was telling me once. I ASKED for his permission and received it before I went in and looked.
            THEY ARE PRIVATE MESSAGES... and I respect that.
            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Private unsolicited messages. But thanks for not closing this thread Ming

The "send the Pm to a mod" solution might work - but didn't you say at the time you mention Ming that you had to access my Pm's to make sure they were genuine? I seem to recall you wouldn't accept a forwarded Pm as proof.

I get priceless Pm's
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                I seem to recall you wouldn't accept a forwarded Pm as proof.
                Well... that was from you
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

I'm firmly behind the current privacy policy, if the mods do obey it and they may take action if needed.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    The "send the Pm to a mod" solution might work - but didn't you say at the time you mention Ming that you had to access my Pm's to make sure they were genuine? I seem to recall you wouldn't accept a forwarded Pm as proof.
                    It isn't really necessary though is it? I mean you can always ask a Mod to access your pm database and act on something you find particularly objectionable ...

Of course, that might entail going through all of ones pm's and I could see how some might find that a little ... discomforting, to say the least.

btw horse I've deleted all of those you sent me - complaining about rah's new moderatorship ...

Comment

I agree completely with Alexander's Horse

People should NOT have an expectation of privacy for message containing threats. A ban is appropriate, but so is an exposure of the threat so the bully can not get his privacy for the threat as he wanted. Normally PM should have to stay private, but I think there should be an exception for people who want to abuse the PM system for threats. I respect enforcing the site's rules, but I think you should reconsider this one.
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                        I agree completely with Alexander's Horse

Comment

Yes, Horsie, someone can even agree with you.
                          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

My stance is as follows.

Send me a threatening PM and I will post it. My resulting ban will be entirely worth it.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Good, RJ! That's good bravery.

Comment

Working...
                              X