No announcement yet.

Osama joins Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the background MtG. Not a nice man.
    (+1)

Comment

Quote MacTBone:

"There is no ueber, it's not a german word (edit: it was in all probability a typo, but I'll keep it here)."

Actually, ueber (spelled like that), is the same as uber with the umlauts. According to my German teacher, German friends, and the latest edition of the Langsheidt English/Deutsch dictionary, when you can't put the umlauts you just add an e afterwards. Think Goering of WII fame here, his name is just Goring (with the umlauts over te O), but if you don't want to use them, you add an e. Like using two s' instead of the ezsett. I have Windows 98 w/ out a character map, so I don't know what ASCII code gives the umlauts

Anyway, take a look on the song listings on an American printed German rock bands' cd (most Rammstein, Megaherz' "Wer Bist Du", etc), and you'll see the subsitutions.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

The Taleban do not allow the use of the internet, except to their members and their pets like al Qaeda.
        That sounds kinda like you not letting someone use this internet site unless they conform to your name policy. I support a more open policy.

This is a private site, owned by a Canadian and a Greek, so I don't think they really care much about sounding American. But the right of private organizations to set their own policies and rules is pretty American, though.
        I never said a private organization, like yours, didn't have the right to set their own policies. In our country that's covered in the constitution under the freedom of Association clause, not sure how Canada covers it.

My point was, picking out names that are offensive to you and at the same time leaving names that are offensive to others doesn't seem like a fair or consistant policy. I never said you didn't have the right to make unfair and inconsistant policies in reaction to the current climate of political correctness. I just don't agree with it.

As far as you being Canadian as opposed to American I consider your country our closest ally and virtually one in the same as far as freedoms, civil liberties and "way of life". But if it makes you feel better:

"Banning someones right to post based on their name; That sounds more Taliban than Canadian." (I hope thats better)

PS Maybe OBL stands for Ottawa Believes in Liberty

Comment

Call me crazy, but in today's climate, someone named after the most wanted man on the planet (wanted for 5000 murders a short while ago) isn't going to be allowed. Mao and Albert Speer have historical connections as well as their nasty sides, so they're kinda okay IMO. I doubt using the names of any other mass-murderers of today would be acceptable either, somehow...

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
            That sounds kinda like you not letting someone use this internet site unless they conform to your name policy. I support a more open policy.
            Yes, our Ministry for the Prevention of Vice and Promotion of Virtue agents will be at your door soon.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
              Call me crazy, but in today's climate, someone named after the most wanted man on the planet (wanted for 5000 murders a short while ago) isn't going to be allowed. Mao and Albert Speer have historical connections as well as their nasty sides, so they're kinda okay IMO. I doubt using the names of any other mass-murderers of today would be acceptable either, somehow...
              I see, mass murderers and evil leaders of the past are OK, except Hitler, but current ones aren't allowed. Even if that standard could be judged objectively what is the statute of limitations. Is it death or removal from power?

There are alot of people who have done a lot worse in sheer numbers of deaths then bin laden that are allowed as names. Similarly, there are alot of names on here of people who had just as evil intent.

Singling out a few and not all of them is the same political correctness that always mistakenly guides some during a time of crisis.

Remember Japanese internments and McCarthyism. Nixon's dirty tricks and Kent State. Its all the same thing to a diifferent degree; Someone or group doesn't like what another person/group has to say so they forbid/outlaw it as opposed to debating it openly.

Ottawa Believes in Liberty

Comment

Working...
              X