Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

so noone has looked at the bottom of the pages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
    One question MarkG when you add this loading time feature?
    yesterday

your style/avatar settings?
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      no, certainly not
      if you see the page source you will see that it is just a javascript that calculates the time it takes to load the page.
      Gee, I'm taken by supprice. Well done
      Nice little javascript function.

Okay, now I do wan't to ask a little more about the javascript...
      You use .GetTime() function, so now I guess that the page is sended in pieces to client from server and the time calculated is the time from recieving the first packet until the last one.

=> So total time form request to final page is somewhat longer time.
      Am I now right?

Comment

Now here are my times using Talkline as provider. (Yes I changed the server)

2.97 seconds to get to the log in window...
        8.18 seconds to get the posting window...

I used Netscape 4.5 (Now it works for me with Netscape4.5), no cockies, you know the settings before the log in, after the log in no avatars and CTP2 default style. I like the features from the default style message icons and view counts.

16.09 seconds to reload the thread after posting
        6.16 seconds to get to the editing page
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Since you mentioned the timer in another thread, I've never had more than a 10 second load, and is usually under 3 seconds. Granted, I'm still using the "lite" setting from the office, but at home, I'm getting similar times in default mode over a cable modem. So things seem to be moving better than before... because there WAS A PROBLEM before, but now it seems to have gone away
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Everything on - T3 connection at work - 4.72 seconds for thread
            press back to force reload - 3.19 secs

to get this page: 2.58 seconds

to return to thread: 17.36 secs

to enter edit: 2.85 secs
            "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
            "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Jeje2
              Okay, now I do wan't to ask a little more about the javascript...
              You use .GetTime() function, so now I guess that the page is sended in pieces to client from server and the time calculated is the time from recieving the first packet until the last one.

=> So total time form request to final page is somewhat longer time.
              Am I now right?
              first of all, i found the javascript ready

second, the script works this way: the count starts when the head of the page is loaded. this means that the server processing time or any lag before the server starts sending the page are not included in the count. the count ends when the onload event for the page(called from the body tag) occurs, which happens when the page is fully loaded.

Comment

If it makes you feel good Markos, I did noticed it yesterday.

I've DSL and usually I load a thread page at about 5-7 seconds.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Getting better...

Page loading time 23.07 seconds.
                  Response window 18.9 seconds.

Better, but not the best.

If we order T-shirts, will they take six months to arrive?

I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                  i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Hot damn, now I can more accurately quatatized how much of my life I expend here.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Ok, if everyone else is getting load times less than 10 seconds (moslty) then why is it that I haven't had a load time on any page of less than 20 seconds! I am using a 128K ISDN line at work! HELP!!!
                      DO, OR DO NOT, THERE IS NO TRY - Yoda
                      EAGLES MAY SOAR, BUT... WEASLES DON'T GET SUCKED INTO JET ENGINES - Unknown
                      AMBITION IS A POOR EXSCUSE FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TOO STUPID TO BE LAZY - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Rhuarc
                        Ok, if everyone else is getting load times less than 10 seconds (moslty) then why is it that I haven't had a load time on any page of less than 20 seconds! I am using a 128K ISDN line at work! HELP!!!
                        Do you share the bandwith on your ISDN line with other people? I have access to a T1 line at work, but it is slower than my cable modem at home due to all the other people using it at the same time
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Excellent tactical judgement, waiting until most of the new server constipation had been eliminated before installing this feature.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Rhuarc
                            you are not opening many pages from apolyton at once, right?

Comment

What load time?

Where is it?

I DID look at the bottom of the page. I am not that silly.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

These results are for this thread, which has now 30ish posts in it. In smaller threads, and particularly on-topic, I have loaded mostly in 7-15 seconds. Here however:

Page Load : 55.69
                                Reply Page : 29.66
                                Edit page : 21.04 (strong possibilty that I was loading other Apolyton pages at the time)
                                Last edited by Immortal Wombat; June 21, 2001, 11:53.
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X