This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MarkG
    If it ever gets to the point where one has to pay for every site s/he access, the Internet can kiss itself good-bye.
    noone is discussing paying to access. end of story.
    You might want to plaster this in bold at the top of every post in this thread. That way people may even see it.

Comment

• honestly, i'm not sure which i favor. i don't mind the idea of membership, but since i rarely go anywhere on the site except the forums, i don't know if it would be worth much to me if i had a paid membership.

there was a study somewhere though that said popups often hurt more than they help the companies in question. think it was on /.
      B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

You might want to plaster this in bold at the top of every post in this thread. That way people may even see it.
        My guess is that it would still be missed by many
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Well, I don't know about the rich guys here, I'm not sure I'll be able to afford anything like 30$ per month. To me it's a huge amount of money, even for a year.

I was thinking more about 1-3$ per month. Hopefully 1$.

Obviously I don't intend to pay a month at a time.

I may be willing to pay around 10$-15$ for a year or something. Maybe 20$. But per year.

Other than no ads, I would like to see OT post counts re-instated.

Oh, and please don't allow large avatars or images in the sigs - it makes browsing so much slower and more frustrating.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanQ
            All righty. It's time for some additional responses to some of the comments and inquiries made in this increasingly viewed thread...

First: $100US as a month fee? Goodness no. At the *most* this would be a high-end cost for a lifetime subscription if we were to implement it. To reiterate, though, no price is yet set in stone even for start-up.

-----------
            Dan; Apolyton CS
            Sirotnikov, I think that this part of Dan's earlier post should answer this concern. The amounts that I have seen thrown around generally range from $12 to $30 per year

Hope this helps.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• This may sound a little redundant seeing as we have signatures and a very basic profile page, but what if paying subscribers could have a personal profile page that would be accessible through a link in the avatar? A single page that could be a place where users could display all sorts of info, not just the fill in the blank questions. Sort of a "here's my crap" page. I doubt it would require that much server space if kept reasonable.

My two cents.

Comment

• Wow. The discussion in this thread is extensive, and its readership is growing as well.

Let's march on...

Rasbelin: With regards to payment methods...

First, we certainly would never consider cash not only because of its insecurity but because of the hassles involved with conversion/exchange rates. Second, we are only going to be using PayPal for now and definitely only PayPal in the immediate future. We are trying to keep the system as streamlined and straight-forward as possible.

yaroslav: In response to your response on my...

#1: The only modification to the 'Upload' feature that is being considered at present, with regards to the subscription system, is an increase in server space allocation. Anything beyond this would require overhead research and consideration: for now, keeping these simple is critical to see it to implementation and (we believe its) acceptance.

#2: I may stand to be corrected with regards to the technological limitation I cited... can you provide me with IEEE website references on this perhaps or documentation from another reputable source? Regardless, let me say that this is not a point that has been considered nor will it be entertained at this time.

#4: In taking a different track from Markos' valid note on this... you refer to "internal shipment"s. I'm not quite sure I'm following you. Are you saying internally within a country? Even if Markos and I were to disseminate the CDs personally, that only covers Greece and Canada respectively.

Oerdin: I quote from you earlier in this thread:

If the total cost was something like $12 per year then it might be worth it though I'm sure MarkG already makes more then that per person off of the ads.
                Apolyton has thousands of visitors a day, but let's just assume for the sake of mathematical simplicity that Apolyton has just 1,000 visitors a year and is bringing in the same advertising in volume and composition that it does 'really'. At $12US (I'm assuming you mean US currency) per person per year, that's $12,000US.

Apolyton does not make that much revenue in a year. Naturally, if we were only bringing in 1,000 visitors per annum we would not have the volume or composition of advertising that we do 'really'...

The Slayer: Absolutely not, re: FTP account for subscribers. We already have the 'Upload' feature in place for the purpose you have mentioned as Markos has already pointed out.

Second, more space in that directory has been suggested before and is being considered (also as said before). However, a 60MB server space allotment per subscriber let alone 100MB is not a value that is being considered. This level is not practical.

Harry Tuttle: Ehhhh... strictly speaking, no. There is a new feature being considered that would function similarly to what you have suggested, however, and even then it would not be limited to subscribers only.

----------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

• Good to see this is going on track.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

• unless the subsciption service offers anything useful i certianly wont pay, im glad to see the free service swill continue...
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

• If an optional subscription model was brought in (which I support), what would be the knock on effects for non-subscribers?

Would they have to endure more ads (as a somewhat smaller audience would have to see more ads then a larger, and more valuable, audience would), or would their 'ad burden' remain the same, with them being partially subsidised by the subscribers?
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkG
                        in the long run, we might actually be able to reduce the ammount of ads if subscriptions are succesfull

Comment

• Paying for (or donating to) Poly usually comes up in the threads (started by members not owners) when the server has problems. Is it worth $20 a year to block ads? Not really. Is it worth $20 a year to ensure poly's success? Yes.

So if the subscribers get some added benefits, thats fine by me, its just icing on the cake.

What about the possibility of preferential access when the server volume is high?
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Price is the key

I'm not averse to paying a little money. But considering there are plenty of free pop up blockers, I wouldn't be willing to pay a lot. Maybe $49.95 per year at most.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Alright, let's think about the word "Moocher," as in, someone who wants, thinks he's entitled to, something for nothing.

There is no "free" on the internet; someone has to pay for site upkeep. You want the use of these boards, but you don't want to help the Owners keep the site open, which is the upshot of your pratling about your "right" to use a popup blocker. Surely you don't think Mark and Dan owes you a free ride. In this context, use of a blocker is akin to theft of services.

But things are looking good for you. It looks like it may be possible, with this new system, to allow folk like you to continue as you have been doing, but without the need of popups for anyone. And the site would be stronger financially to boot. What's to complain about??

Monk
                              so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

• Yeah, I'm confused by that aswell...

-
                                noone is discussing paying to access. end of story.

^ it's been awhile ^
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X