Why does Settler II keep crashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Settler II keep crashing?

I don't want any stupid answers like "Because it sucks" etc.

In the downtime reports, it always says something like "Cause of Downtime has not yet been established".

So, what is causing them? If it's high load, why aren't the umpteen anti-load features doing anything?

Can't expect a Mini to carry the same load as a truck or humvee
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

It seems the load is still a problem.

Originally posted by DanQ (in another thread)
      Well, avatars lasted for almost five days this time around...

Unfortunately, I have had to temporarily disable them again as a measure to reduce server load. We'll see "where we're at" in 1-2 weeks time.

----------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

/me points to the dozen or so posts by Asuka listing a dozen or so reasons why Settler II keeps crashing

Comment

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: Why does Settler II keep crashing?

Originally posted by Frozzy
            I don't want any stupid answers like "Because it sucks" etc.

In the downtime reports, it always says something like "Cause of Downtime has not yet been established".

So, what is causing them? If it's high load, why aren't the umpteen anti-load features doing anything?
            As has been referenced in this thread so far, high server load has been the result of the most recent crashes. The exact reason as to why there has been this extended high server load as of recent is still being investigated. Avatar disablement has in the past alleviated these problems, and is doing so again, but the institution of this measure should not be necessary in the first place (or, at the very least, not to the extent to which it has had to be employed as of late).

----------
            Dan; Apolyton CS
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

what is settler II?

sounds interesting

Comment

Settler II is the name of Apolyton's current server. Diss, you've been here several times as long as me, you should know that by now.
                American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                XGalaga.

Comment

So what's going to happen when a couple of thousand new members sign up and dissabling the avatars won't cut it anymore?
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Please take my money 'poly! Or give me an address, and I'll get FedEx to mail you a big new server.

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                      * H Tower points to the dozen or so posts by Asuka listing a dozen or so reasons why Settler II keeps crashing
                      And those were all valid notes.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                        So what's going to happen when a couple of thousand new members sign up and dissabling the avatars won't cut it anymore?
                        Isn't there another expansion for Civ3 coming up? I agree we need to be pro-active rather than just reactive.

Comment

I blame Linux.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, you are unaware of the actual problem. The problem is not the OS, the problem is the number and length of connections. Any server would crash when subjected to the load Settler II recieves.
                            American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                            I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                            Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                            XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              I blame Linux.
                              hi ,

and that would be based on what , ........

it aint the problem , ......

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Working...
                              X