No announcement yet.

Why does Settler II keep crashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully... this will solve the problems.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• PLATO; You haven't a clue. Despite the fact Dan and Markos deserves every single gram of praise they gets, people have been calling for more RAM since Settler II was released. However...

Markos said this back in July: (IRC transcript)
      [19:03] [ACS_MarkG] we're also geting some memory(i'll announce it when the forums are back in a while)
      [19:03] * java4me (~Java_user@dt088n7a.san.rr.com) Quit (Quit: Leaving)
      [19:04] * Frozzy looks up and praises the lord
      [19:04] [Frozzy] This is absolutely great news!!!
      [19:04] [Frozzy] I'm overjoyed
      [19:04] [Frozzy] Will it be 1GB+?
      [19:05] [ACS_MarkG] the total will be 1.5g. we're not totally sure it will solve all problems but it will help
      [19:06] [Frozzy] You'll shut Asuka up, thats for sure!
      [19:06] [ACS_MarkG] ?? i havent read everything, what has he been saying?
      [19:07] * Frozzy points to the dozen or so posts in the A/C forum pointing out the dozen or so reasons Poly keeps going down.
      [19:07] [Frozzy] Mainly he's been moaning (from Settler II's introduction) that it doesn't have enouth RAM
      [19:07] [Frozzy] *enough
      [19:09] [ACS_MarkG] well i can assure i hadnt read asuka's posts before taking the decision

You can look at the threads from Settler II's introduction. Everyone who had an idea about technical gobbledegook were concerned about only 512MB of RAM. I am sure Dan and Markos knew this aswell, and knew they were treading a fine wire. Here's a hypothetical situation for all you admin-bashers: Try working your PC when it is half-way around the world. And as RackShack are a commercial corporation, naturally getitng anything done is slow.

It's taken long enough to sort it out, I'll say that. But again, I take my hat off to the admins in this difficult time.

Comment

• You'll shut Asuka up, thats for sure!

Oh you bet I won't. I have listed quite many things that would help to improve the situation, you little backstabber. More RAM isn't the only thing that should be done for a longterm improvement.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

• You're right Frozzy...I haven't a clue. I was refering to the insinuation that Markos and Dan provided clueless solutions. I believe they do a pretty darn good job.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Yeah I noticed that you both seemed to be making similar points. Not sure what was up with that.

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Thanks Dan for all you do!! When are we going to see the subscriptions to help finance the upgrades?
              Thank you for the kind words, PLATO. I cannot appropriately commit on any timeline still on subscription services plans, as much as I would like to be able to. What I mean by "appropriately" is that while I could certain spew a date or two, a month or two to this end now, it wouldn't be fair of me to do so at this point.

On a related point, see the "Open Letter From The Administration" newspost at http://apolyton.net/about for discussion on why 'Settler II' only had 512MB RAM installed at its start-up.

----------
              Dan; Apolyton CS
              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

• No problem Dan. The words were earned not given. I do have a question or two.

On a related note, in early June RS increased the monthly bandwidth allotment on "Settler II" to ~117% of what had been available previously with "Settler I
                and

"Settler II"`s total installed memory then is now 1.5GB.
                leads me to ask: Why are we still seeing problems? Or more to the point: What needs to be fixed and when can we fix it?

and just one more:

Can the financial health of the site stand the work that needs to be done?
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Why are we still seeing problems? Or more to the point: What needs to be fixed and when can we fix it?

[..]

Can the financial health of the site stand the work that needs to be done?
                  The answer to both questions above is combined: there has been and continues to be a malfunction in the monitoring software on "Settler II". See the "Open Letter To The Administration (2)" newspost at http://apolyton.net/about for related discussion.

----------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

• The article you referenced me to does a great job of telling us that the problem is being worked on. The issue appears to be one of identifying where the software glitch is. As many people have referenced, the software has had many additions and modifications. It is surely understandable that tracking down a problem of this nature will take time. Good Luck finding the problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asuka
                      you little backstabber.
                      Sorry, mon ami, but quite a harsh comment in the utter wrong context isn't kosher now is it

I'm sure the definition calls for quite a different meaning.

Comment

• PLATO, can you point me to a thread where subscription models are discussed? I am interested at what ideas are being thrown around.

Comment

• Basicly I do know what they said about keeping the site free and charging extra tools or features. I support it wholeheartedly

I want to know have more specific prices, features or dates been arrived at.

Comment

• No prob Vetlegion!

This is Dan's response on how access to the content of the site should not be affected and a couple of examples on what the subscription service would provide:

I can certainly understand why some would view a subscription service here as creating "more than one class" of Apolyton user. Depending upon how it was setup, this could definitely be so; however, I believe that the crux of this consideration is whether or not access to content at least in part would be restricted to subscribers. As I have stated in the past and will gladly state again, any and all benefits from an Apolyton subscription service would be non-content related perks. The two examples I primarily highlight to illustrate this are ad disablement and increased private messaging storage space.
                            Dan also invited comments on our ideas for what we would like to see out of a subscription service in the same thread.

Comment

• hi ,

the pages load way faster now , all thats missing are the avatars

lets hope this is good till CIV IV

thanks Dan and Mark

have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

• 50 cents a month gives OTF regulars the ability to create 3 threads per day instead of two.

That's an idea. And a lot will bite, even if they don't need the 3 threads, because the extra bandwidth etc. will be marginal in cost while the majority of the 50 cents would probably go to funding new bandwidth, machine, etc.

Right?
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X