No announcement yet.

Unity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn't help myself... Like you, all I could do was laugh when I read the first post...

Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

not the whole site, but doing something with the civ2 forums it would be nice, they are being not very active lately in any of the two places
      Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
      Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
      miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

/me tries to use some duct tape to quell the laughter.

One serious question to the thread starter: where on Earth did you get the idea that these two communities should be united? I mean, I assume you have some reason for starting this thread, unless it's bogus or easy +1s? Please, elaborate your reason for this idea. I'm sure we would be happy to hear it.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I voted "Yes" (was the second person to do that) since it's obviously the banana-choice in this poll .
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Yay! Easy +1's!
            However, *anything* can be joined together with sufficient amount of duct tape.
            "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka Naldur
              not the whole site, but doing something with the civ2 forums it would be nice, they are being not very active lately in any of the two places
              Trust my judgement. That would never work. First of all we would have the problem what forums on the different communities should be united. Then we would have hardest issue which would stop the process definetly. Where should the united forums continue their activity? CFC or ACS? I'm sure each side would be die-hard supporters of their own side. Also the technical side would be abit tricky as the new forums would start from zero as importing the posts from several specific forums isn't easy, plus ACS runs vB 2.0.2 and CFC runs 2.2.6. So the current forums would be theoretically archives as they are. Also one issue is that the communities are very rooted as they are and the people are different. I'm a Civ II community member, despite I don't engage that actively and I have dropped my MP and PBEM icons as useless, but I'm still here and think that I wouldn't like the new mixture.
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
                I voted "Yes" (was the second person to do that) since it's obviously the banana-choice in this poll .
                I vote "No" but I still want it to be counted as a banana.
                Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                  I'm a Civ II community member, despite I don't engage that actively and I have dropped my MP and PBEM icons as useless, but I'm still here and think that I wouldn't like the new mixture.
                  I can understand it when it comes to PBEM... While there are still some good games going on, it seems like the PBEM community at CF is more active. On the other hand, their MP community sucks. Here, we have a very active MP community, with games being set up all the time...
                  Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ok, justification

I really thought that the teams of CivFanatics and Apolyton used to work together.

It's obvious that I was wrong.

Nevertheless, I am sure that Apolyton's team use to work with another team. At least it was the story one told me two years ago when I suscribed to that forum. There was an arguing about what could be accepted or not on the forum.

Anyway, I did not vote to that poll. So the "yes" answer is not mine, although I would vote "yes".

I am never in favor of futile quarrels. I do think that ONE big and serious forum, where everyone could express his ideas inside flexible limits, would be an advantage for the PLAYERS (one centre for scenarii, mods, maps, ideas, strategies, opinions and son on). And I am a PLAYER, in competition with noone in that matter.

Here you are
                    M. le Comte

Comment

Well, having two MP and PBEM communities just gives people the option to a free choice, rather than forcing people to one site.

Comment

Re: Ok, justification

Originally posted by M. le Comte
                        I really thought that the teams of CivFanatics and Apolyton used to work together.
                        Check your facts in the About section on ACS and the info section on CFC.
                        I do think that ONE big and serious forum, where everyone could express his ideas inside flexible limits, would be an advantage for the PLAYERS (one centre for scenarii, mods, maps, ideas, strategies, opinions and son on).
                        Meh. That's out of question. You drop off all diversity, if you have only one large community (compare to a one party system). In general CFC and ACS have different interest groups with not all same games. CFC doesn't have any real MoO3, RoN, GalCiv, CtP/CtP2, SMAC and alternative project coverage. They're very much focused on Civ III and Civ II. Of course you could argue that they could complete each other, but as said you lose all diversity and both are unique communities. I won't support this idea and neither does the majority (IMO).

Comment

Both sites are so far different in terms of "culture" to even think about combining the two... madness

Plus, I'm sure the owners of both sites wouldn't be two thrilled with the idea either
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Of course, I don't want to offense anyone, but:

1) Unity is not uniformity. The content of two sites in one big site is just diversity gathered in one place.

2) There is a point on which I cannot argue. When it comes to "culture", I cannot get what you all mean. What are the differences of "culture" between the two forum ?

3) The opinion of the ACS administrator fits his private interests. And is private interest and general Good always the same ?
                            M. le Comte

Comment

2) There is a point on which I cannot argue. When it comes to "culture", I cannot get what you all mean. What are the differences of "culture" between the two forum ?

Well, i can clearly see a huge difference when it comes to the "files" and creation areas. CivFanatics has a very well developed files system and creation area. We hav a good Civ2 creation area, but small. CF has a huge creation area (specially for civ3 as compared to Poly) and immense file system.

As was stated, Poly is more of a general interest strategy gaming site, while Civfanatics is just that, for fanatical fans of the civ series (you can't even find SMAC there).
                              If you don't like reality, change it! me
                              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Actually you can find one dusty little SMAC forum there, which is hidden under some other forum. And yes, CFC is indeed for sporadic Civ fans. Especially Civ III as you say, GePap. Also an issue which seems to be forgotten, is that if all of both sites would be merged, think about what kind of an OTF we would get. Welcome to the banana republic! And also, who would want to see Ming without his magic wand? Now that would be blaspheme. The reasoning is that all the staff would have to be reorganised.

As for your #2, think about the differencies in OTF culture. There's indeed a difference between the two sites off-topic communities. Many of the things which are allowed here, won't be accepted there, so we would then need a Guantanamo Bay for the increased number of detainees.

Comment

Working...
                                X