Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in an Alien Waterworld crossfire - 5 players wanted

Yes, that's right.

The scenario editor lets you create nautical alien factions, so of course I have done so (the Nautical Usupers and the Aquatic Caretakers)

Naturally, Chiron is around 75% water, and all the factions are aquatic - the Pirates and four clones, and the 2 alien aquatic factions.

If I can muster seven players, I'll set up the game as an all human game. If fewer, then if could be five Pirate/clone factions against the AI aliens, or 2 (human) alien and as many human pirate/clone factions as there are players left

Any interest?

G.

Googlie: sounds cool. I wish I could, but I'm in my limit of games right now as it is...

Comment

I'm up for it.

Will these "cloned Pirate" factions have some unique characteristics? Based on original factions turned aquatic, or what?
      "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
      - Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Comment

No - the cloned Pirates will be exactly as the Pirates are (but different leades and basenames)

The aquatic aliens will be usurpers and Caretakers with marine characteristics as well (can drop the recycling tanks 'cos their sea bases come equipped with pressure domes, so can give them doc flex as a free tech)

I'm playing a single player game with five pirate clones and the 2 aliens - really cool. They are pretty powerful with their 3 res foils early in the game (I swapped the free Ogre for a foil - thought it was a fair trade)

You can get the pirate clone factions at Rynn's Gallery:

(but I haven'e hung the aquatic aliens there yet)

G.

Comment

I'd be willing to play as either the Usurpers or the Pirate clones, but bear in mind that this will be my first real MP game beyond a couple of hotseat games with a friend. I think I am pretty god with the Usurpers in SP though, and played my most successful game ever as the Pirates.

Comment

No - the cloned Pirates will be exactly as the Pirates are (but different leades and basenames)
            It'll do. But taking original factions and turning them aquatic wouldn't be very hard...but I'm in for it anyway. Let' just hope we get enough players. It would be interesting to try it out.
            "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."

Comment

Sounds great. I would like to join this venture, as one of the pirates if possible. I do love a navy game.
              nickistca@yahoo.com
              Fifteen apparitions have I seen,
              The worst a coat upon a coat hanger

Comment

Originally posted by Shai-Hulud

It'll do. But taking original factions and turning them aquatic wouldn't be very hard
                You're exactly right, and after your post yesterday I did just that. (Using facedit, I created 11 new factions in addition to the Pirates, and aquatic aliens - just added doc flex and toggled "aquatic faction")

Tinkered a bit with alpha.txt to see if I could give the Sea Angels a foil probe, but so far have been unable to get facedit to recognize it from my new #UNITS list

I'll keep trying, 'cos that sounds like it might be an interesting game (I played about 100 turns last evening with the Sea Drones - awesome - against the Pirates and pirate clones. I dunno how they'd fare agaisnt Sea Morgan, Sea Sparta, etc)

G.
                Last edited by Googlie; January 31, 2002, 11:55.

Comment

NorthSwordsman, over at the CGN forums, has indicated an interest, so so far we have:

Shai-Hulud
                  GeneralTacitus
                  arborman
                  NorthSwordsman

I'll leave the list open for the time being to see if we get other takers

G.

Comment

I might be able to persuade a friend of mine. He's a fan of SMAC but seems to have little intrest towards multiplaying. That can't be right

Hope you get that working. Glad to see you're making an effort.

Comment

I like to play the an alien faction. If not avaible then I rather stay out (too many PBEM right now)
                      It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

OK - we now can have aquatic variants of all factions (except the Cult - that's such a boring faction anyway that I didn't feel it warranted any time spent on it)

So players can choose the Pirates, or a Pirate clone if more than one want to play the Pirates, or else play one of the other factions as an aquatic.

I wasn't able to get the facedit to read the foil probe as an allowed unit, but the Angels (the Hackers) can build one right off the bat as they'll have both doc flex and Planetary Networks.

So assuming a level of interest, who wants to play which factions (and I'd rather keep the 2 aliens as AI - that way I can beef them up a tad without the imbalance of 1 human 1 AI would present)

Aquatic faction

Merchants (Morgan)
                        Coastguards (PKs)
                        Mermaids ( ) (Gaians
                        Gunrunners (Sparta)
                        Submariners (Hive)
                        Hydrologists (University)
                        Privateers (Believers)
                        Seamen (Drones)
                        Algorithm (Consciousness)
                        Hackers (Angels)

(I'll hang the factions on Rynn's Gallery this evening after I've finished my exhaustive playtest of them (ie I'm having too much fun at present)

G.
                        Last edited by Googlie; February 1, 2002, 14:41.

Comment

This ought to be a very interesting scenario. I'm glad to be in. Now, when I come to think of it I've never played any "waterworld" scenarios even against AI. Take your time to playtest Googlie.

I'd like to play either Merchants or Coastguards, but I'm not sure about it yet.

Comment

I'll go with the Gunrunners or Hydrologists.

EDIT: can I rename the one I play?

Comment

I will take any of the following:

Submariners (Hive)
                              Hydrologists (University)
                              Privateers (Believers)

Comment

Working...
                              X