Caught in an Alien Waterworld crossfire - 5 players wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Googlie
    OK - we now can have aquatic variants of all factions (except the Cult - that's such a boring faction anyway that I didn't feel it warranted any time spent on it)

G.
    Man googlie-- I appreciate all the work you are doing but is it necessary to slam the Cult??

I have hardened myself to hearing them called weak or unplayable (but BORING ?? That smarts

So all the factions are the same as always except they start at sea and have Doc flex ?? That could have some interesting effects on play .
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Aquatic Factions (all but the 2 Aliens which I am still tinkering with) can be downloaded from Rynn's Gallery at:

Note that I gave each faction their unique free facility (similar to the Hive's Perimeter Defenses and the UoP's Network Nodes) to offset the loss of their natural land-based advantages - these can easily be edited out by going to that faction's .txt file after you have downloaded them and just removing the free facility reference and number

G.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
        EDIT: can I rename the one I play?
        Yes, in the normal way thru the faction.txt file (or even in-game via the *menu* then *network* then *Customize your faction*

G.

Comment

Flubber:

Specially for you I included the Disciples (aquatic Cult) - gave them a free IoD in lieu of their mindworm and they are incredibly powerful - within 30 turns of my playtest I had eleven IoD's captured and a small army of fifteen mindworms and four spore launchers. Met Dee and she was instantly submissive

It's available too at Rynn's Gallery:

G.

Comment

Wow, are you ever doing a lot of work on this. I thought it was just me who loved this game I'd like to play either Hydrologists (Uni) or Gunrunners (Sparta). Is it necessary for me to download the factions, or will it be a part of the game when it's sent to me? I haven't dealt much with the mods in this game.
            Fifteen apparitions have I seen,
            The worst a coat upon a coat hanger

Comment

I think I'll take the Spartans. If anyone else wants to as well, we can just clone them.

Comment

I take the Morgans(Merchants). And how about other game settings Googlie?

And, we appreciate your effort to make things work. A good CMN makes for an interesting scenario. This certainly seems like one.
                "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."
                - Patrick Bateman, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Comment

well if the Cult of Ocean deep are avaible (unless my friend Flubber wants it) then I wanna join playing them.
                  It's close to midnight and something evil's is lurking in the dark.

Comment

Originally posted by arborman
                    Is it necessary for me to download the factions, or will it be a part of the game when it's sent to me? I haven't dealt much with the mods in this game.
                    Yes, you need to download the factions and load them into your sid meier's alpha centauri folder. You don't need to add them to the alphax.txt unless you want to choose them as factions for single-player games that you start (and then you'd add them under #CUSTOM FACTIONS toeards the end of that .txt file

I'll put the Aliens up on the site today

I've just had my butt absolutely kicked (as Dee and the Mermaids) by Yang's Submariners. I quit around 2180 after I lost4 of my seven bases in 1 turn. Flipped on the scenario editor to see what was happening

He had 37 impact plasma foils, and had taken out my HQ (with the WP, CDF and ME in it too) with a mass attack of nine of these beauties. I was still laser silksteel so was no match, and my navy of IoD's - eight of them - had half ferrying AA's back to base. All my spore launchers (I think I had three or four) were dropped off on small islands so that the IoD's could carry a mindworm as well as the AA. That tactic sure backfired on me.

I think making them aquatic has opened up a whole new strategy paradigm that needs developing (hmm - can one "open" a pardigm?)

G.

Comment

I think making original factions aquatic makes them harder? At least, they're more able to attack you, it seems. I hope those militant factions don't gett off-balanced because of that. But it sure sounds interesting.

And you could list our players and their choices of factions. I'm little lost here . Do we need to recruit more players?
                      "I'm having a sort of hard time paying attention because my automated teller has started speaking to me, sometimes actually leaving weird messages on the screen, in green lettering, like "Cause a Terrible Scene at Sotheby's" or "Kill the President" or "Feed Me a Stray Cat", and I was freaked out by the park bench that followed me for six blocks last Monday evening and it too spoke to me."

Comment

So how's that scenario coming together?...impatience from my behalf

Comment

Bowing out

I just got hit with a mountain of work, so its best I bow out of this game. I won't have the time to send the turns on fast enough, and I'm sure none of you want or deserve a 3 year game. Sorry, and good luck, it sounded like a lot of fun.
                          Arborman
                          Fifteen apparitions have I seen,
                          The worst a coat upon a coat hanger

Comment

Googlie, think a poor disadvantaged Pirate loving Mac user could jump in on this, or would I be required to have the Windows version? (Which is possible... I'd just need to talk with a friend to "loan" his copy.)
                            Or did the project fall through? I didn't see the alien factions on Rynn's site.
                            I just wish there was a faction editor available for Mac... *sighs*
                            Last edited by FlameFlash; February 15, 2002, 12:43.
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

This sounds cool! Is there still room in this game?

Comment

Have no idea... that's what I was trying to find out earlier... just keep the thread active, and maybe it'll regain googlie's notice.
                                I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                                X