I admit, I'm a sprawler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ivellios
    You'll also produce less minerals (less space to harvest), so eco-damage shouldn't pose a problem.
    Crawlering nutrients and harvesting 1 or 2 boreholes per base usually gets me in trouble with Planet in a hurry, actually, more so than when I used to have a 'no overlap' policy. Perhaps you might be right, once late-game rolls around, but with more bases packed in the same space, my clean-mineral limit will be higher (10 more bases means 10 more tree farms, 10 more Hybrid forests and 10 more Centauri Preserves, or 30 more free minerals) so I won't be in Eco-damage trouble in the same way, but to be honest, with Industrial Automation and a good former population, the number of minerals I produce is mostly a decision how much I feel like risking Global Warming, rather than an inability to generate them.

Originally posted by TKG
    i've been foiled too many times by monoliths. think about it: howcome formers can tear down mountains or alter rainfall patterns, but they can't bulldoze a big pole?
    Argh, yes the eternal annoyance of badly placed Monoliths put me off my grid fetish once and for all. Also, I'm a big fan of Sik's habit of placing a beacon under all new bases, and I've found that I don't have always have time, for those first few bases, to clear away fungus and level rocks to make everything fit just so.

Comment

Beacon? What do you mean by a beacon?
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Sensor, I believe, is what was meant.

Comment

Originally posted by TKG

i've been foiled too many times by monoliths. think about it: howcome formers can tear down mountains or alter rainfall patterns, but they can't bulldoze a big pole?
          If I remember correctly, editing your Alpha and Alphax files so that formers can *create* them (Say....with "Secrets of Alpha Centauri" as the required tech.), then formers will also be able to destroy them. You could also go the long way and just throw as many units at it to upgrade until the bloody thing vanishes.
          Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

If you are using 2 on the diagonal spacing you have a lot of options as to where to place your bases, due to the degree of overlap. You can place your base to the NE, NW, SE, SW of its "proper" position and still reap the benefits of your assigned tiles. I know what you mean about those monoliths though, I hate to have my bases out of the grid pattern because it looks wierd.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I've had a bases 'displaced' by a monolith three times. Once I moved the base over one, but I didn't like how it looked, so the other two times I created a harvester park instead.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Also, monoliths are great in the early game regarding resources but when you have built a Tree Farm and/or a Hybrid Forest, standard Forests are more productive than a Monolith could ever wish to be. Another reason why you should be able to destroy them, in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                  Beacon? What do you mean by a beacon?
                  Beacon, array, burglar alarm, car-stereo, whatever. I just like how it looks under my bases. :P

Comment

Quality over quantity here too I just like pop-booming, period.

Comment

I've been playing on a Giant sized map (think 4 times the size of a Huge map) and it's great fun. I've been cluttering my landmasses and I've run out of faction base names already even though I have only seen two smallish sized landmasses.

I wonder how many more bases I can build before the game starts to protest.
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

...or it takes 6 minutes to load a turn like civ3

Comment

What's the total base limit for SMACX? Civ II is 255 (not often achieved), Civ III PTW is 511 (all too often achieved). PV Civ III has the same limit as Civ II.

Comment

I think its 512 or 1024.
                            http://xohybabla.ru

Comment

1024!?

Comment

Any one faction can have 511 bases actually. (I don't know where the last base goes...)

Dunno if there is a total number for all factions together.

(And if you are a hardcore ICSer you can easily bump into 511 bases. With only one tile between each base you can do it in slightly more than one quarter of the huge map.)

Comment

Working...
                                X