I admit, I'm a sprawler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Labia" already is the plural.

I guess the singular would be "labium" but I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

Just thought I'd point this one out.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia

I guess the singular would be "labium" but I'm having a hard time envisioning that.

In the rarely heard sexual organ plural department, how about scrota? That one makes me chuckle.

As for the topic at hand, I like to dense pack my bases. There are a few reasons why, but the main reason was that I liked to use the power terraforming like boreholes and condensor farms, yet by the time I was able to use all of those nuts (ie hab domes) the game was over. So I shot for a system that would support a base of 16, which is the hab limit for most factions if they build the AV.

Now I can get maximal productivity out of the land that I have, which isn't only critical on small maps or when you are on a smallish island or continent, but comes in handy most of the time. I find that sprawled bases take a long time to set up, and are harder to defend, especially before airpower. Of course when I decide it's time to do a little AI attitude adjustment I end up with a lot of bases sprawled all over creation. My tendency is to make the AI submissive and then give them their crappy bases back, or sometimes give their bases to other more productive AI submissives.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Yes. Recently I was playing a game as the Hive on Transcend and I decided to pack all my bases with "Yang expansion" (thanks to Vel for the term). It's surprisingly good - the population growth bonus is fully used and it's very easy to defend. Of course, if you have the Planetary Transit System, it's a very powerful tactic.
        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Re: Re: Just having a little fun here:

Funny, I thought God specifically frowned on masturbation.

I wonder what thoughts Sister Miriam has on the matter.

She doesn't strike me as the sort of person who would have much of a choice, if you catch my drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

In the rarely heard sexual organ plural department, how about scrota? That one makes me chuckle.

As for the topic at hand, I like to dense pack my bases. There are a few reasons why, but the main reason was that I liked to use the power terraforming like boreholes and condensor farms, yet by the time I was able to use all of those nuts (ie hab domes) the game was over. So I shot for a system that would support a base of 16, which is the hab limit for most factions if they build the AV.

Now I can get maximal productivity out of the land that I have, which isn't only critical on small maps or when you are on a smallish island or continent, but comes in handy most of the time. I find that sprawled bases take a long time to set up, and are harder to defend, especially before airpower. Of course when I decide it's time to do a little AI attitude adjustment I end up with a lot of bases sprawled all over creation. My tendency is to make the AI submissive and then give them their crappy bases back, or sometimes give their bases to other more productive AI submissives.
            You definitely have a convert in me. I tried your setup in the CGN SP Challenge and I really enjoyed it. The only downside is the problem with setting up a SSC but depending on the terrain that might be doable.

Comment

I like a nice, orderly dominion. Bases placed in a grid, always exactly three squares apart (if it won't fit, by Planet, pile on the formers and make it fit!), boreholes on the diagonal adjacent squares of every base, roads strictly n-s and e-w, and harvesters on each and every single crossroads that isn't a base.

It looks great from orbit!
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

The CGN challenge is the game with lal vs a bunch of AIs pacted together with pre-existing boreholes and bases right? That game was somewhat tough for a time, I was behind the AI tech wise for a loong time. But I finally managed to catch up right as the AI was reaching transcendant tech, and transcended.

I wasn't able to use any crawler intense strategies due to intense AI air raids on my crawlers.
                http://xohybabla.ru

Comment

What are you talking about? I wouldn't talk about -labia- on a family site like Apolyton. Think of the kiddies!

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrik
                    The CGN challenge is the game with lal vs a bunch of AIs pacted together with pre-existing boreholes and bases right? That game was somewhat tough for a time, I was behind the AI tech wise for a loong time. But I finally managed to catch up right as the AI was reaching transcendant tech, and transcended.

I wasn't able to use any crawler intense strategies due to intense AI air raids on my crawlers.
                    Must have been a different game, Hendrik. In this months' challenge, the only victory condition enabled is conquest.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with talking about labia on Apolyton.

Heck, if you even want to talk at all, you've got to do so through a pair of labia anyway. (Unless you're Stephen Hawking, in which case your lips don't come into the question at all.)

I take a lab for my teaching assistantship at my college, and it's the 1A class. Thus my office door has a sign saying:

Alinestra Covelia - LAB1A COUNSELOR

* ~ * ~ *

[/threadjack terminated]
                      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

You really should put that in your location field.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                          I like a nice, orderly dominion. Bases placed in a grid, always exactly three squares apart (if it won't fit, by Planet, pile on the formers and make it fit!), boreholes on the diagonal adjacent squares of every base, roads strictly n-s and e-w, and harvesters on each and every single crossroads that isn't a base.

It looks great from orbit!
                          Your games must look an awful lot like a crossword puzzle.
                          None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Yes, the grid formation _can_ look a bit odd compared to a more organic base alignment, but the power of the grid is not to be trifled with. For a bit of planning and aggressive terraforming, your defensive power is multiplied many times, allowing you to defend more with less, or, if pressed, create a colossal roadblock toward the advancing enemy. With sensors under all your peripheral bases, and reinforcements only 3 squares away, you can stall all but the most overwhelming advances long enough to crank out more defenders.

Comment

I'm also a sprawler, and there's nothin wrong with it I just like my cities to work at their fullest potential. Having bases close together does bring a few advantages though. Units can go from city to city much quicker, which is one heck of an advantage when you're being attacked (tough this is also true using Mag Tubes, but it's nice in the early stages of the game). You'll also produce less minerals (less space to harvest), so eco-damage shouldn't pose a problem.

I almost always use a 'grid'. It's orderly and looks tidy. There are 4 spaces between bases, so the bases can use all the 20 available spaces for harvesting. The four spaces 'wasted' in the middle of a group of four bases are used by Supply Crawlers to harvest Nutrients from a Soil Enricher + Condensor or Minerals/Energy from a Thermal Borehole. It all depends on what my city needs and what terrain is available (obviously, I won't put a Borehole over a Nutrient bonus).

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                                (if it won't fit, by Planet, pile on the formers and make it fit!)
                                i've been foiled too many times by monoliths. think about it: howcome formers can tear down mountains or alter rainfall patterns, but they can't bulldoze a big pole?

Comment

Working...
                                X