network node and alien artifact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darius
    It depends on the screen resolution. To test this, I just opened the same turn in 800x600 and 1024x768. With the 800x600 resolution, I got the "linked" indicator. With the 1024x768 resolution, I did not. I suspect it has to do with subtle differences in the screen layouts and font sizes.

Note that if you use the "Video Mode" command in the Alpha.ini file, it will override the resolution you have set for Windows.

Darius
    Thanks, I was really puzzled why I don't see it. But I'
    m not changing my great resolution for SMAC!
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

I have adjusted alpha.ini before, but can't find the help for it again, yet.

What is the help file for it, or alternatively, what is the syntax for the "video-mode" line. Since it fills the screen anyway, it shouldn't make any difference in one's real resoulution, right?

Using 800x600 should just give us more info. I'll be curious to see if anything else changes.
      Team 'Poly

Comment

Sorry, the name of the file is actually "Alpha Centauri.ini". The syntax is "Video Mode = 1024" or "Video Mode = 800". This sets the resolution for the game, overriding the Windows resolution setting.

If you reduce the resolution to the 800 setting, the result is that you will see a much smaller portion of the map. I find it difficult to play that way, so I use the 1024 setting even though I don't get the "linked" indication.

There are a few other subtle differences in the screen layouts under different resolution settings. I forget exactly what it was now, but when I was new and using the 800 resolution, there was something I couldn't find, but it was there on the 1024 setting.

Darius
        "I love justice, I hate iniquity. It is not my pleasure that the lower suffer injustice because of the higher." - Darius I, 550-486 BC

Comment

Thanks Darius!

Yes at 800 it would be smaller, but then you could just zoom to get to where you like the resolution anyway, right?
          Team 'Poly

Comment

Ah, you're right. I think I will live with 1024x768

The map can be made right, with XX, but it is a bit smaller 'cause the none map displays at the bottom are bigger.

But I don't like the info screens. For example, you can only see 4 units in a base without scrolling instead of 7 or 8?? with 1024.

Ah well, I'll try the "goto" command, and just remember which bases have been linked.

Thanks anyway.

bc
            Team 'Poly

Comment

Working...
            X