No announcement yet.

Yang is a fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it terminates some links between different parts of the brain - making it impossible for the victim to undestand meaning of rebelling.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

It could also possibly be a small eletronic device planted into the victims brain or other part of the nervous system that can be used to deliver unbearable pain if the victim is being unco-operative. Considering that it is a low tech procedure this is probably quite likely.

Comment

Mayhap I have, Miss HongHu. The idea doesn't appear to bother me, though.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

If they can make mind control probes, maybe its like that?
          #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
          #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

The Wonders of Post-Modern Medicine... OR How To Kill Your Neighbor's Brain

My understanding of Nerve Stapling, based on the effects it generates (A complete lack of ability to rebel) and the in-game descriptions, as well as the in game art and the very name, is this...

It selectively destroys certain neural pathways, those specifically linked to higher reasoning and to individuality, in effect removing from the subject all trace of personality or intelligence, the side effect (and, not coincidentally, the DESIRED effect) of which being that the person is a fanatically loyal (If not particularly intelligent) worker completely incapable of the reasoning, planning, forethought, or so-called "spark of life" necessary to consider rebellion.., I believe it is known as "nerve stapling" because it involves, not unlike certain cosmetic procedures, "pulling" the nerve and "stapling" them into the right places, to prevent the brain from regenerating the lost pathways, in effect, convincing the brain that there was nothing there to regenerate in the first place.

Of course, I am no expert, not being a University Provost and not having grafted half of my body into a sentient computer, but I believe this is a sufficient explanation of the procedure and its results... I also believe it is accomplishable through only slightly post-modern technology. All we'd need to do it today is a more thorough uunderstanding of how, exactly, the brain works and how to not kill the subject in the process.

Ahem.

I'm going back to my killing aliens now.
            Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Re: The Wonders of Post-Modern Medicine... OR How To Kill Your Neighbor's Brain

Originally posted by Starfarer

All we'd need to do it today is a more thorough uunderstanding of how, exactly, the brain works and how to not kill the subject in the process.
              Oh, is that all?
              Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I thought we have lobotomy?
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Lobotomy? I beg your pardon. I believe you mean: "Instant Social Conversion". It is only put to use in case a chap is unmutual and disharmonius.

Atherholt Trauma Test?
                  Empire growing,
                  Pleasures flowing,
                  Fortune smiles and so should you.

Comment

The reaserch hospital quote definately makes it sound like an advanced form of lobotomy, not something that is intended to inflict pain -- its horrific, but for other reasons.

The fact that it can be done to large numbers of people fairly quickly discounts it being an invasive proceedure, the fact that it targets talents as well as drones suggests that it is indiscriminate, and the fact that it can affect an entire base in riot suggests that it can even be used on rampaging mobs, while they're rampaging.

Given that, I'm thinking that the "staple" is actually a non-lethal nerve gas, that is flushed into the base air supply.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                      What exactly does nerve stapling do, anyway?

No. NOT in game terms, I understand those.
                      Ever seen the end of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? It's kind of like that except there's no Chief to smother the rebellious drones so they can all get back to work in the borehole mines!

Interesting thread overall though. I don't recall ever playing the hive with any dedication. I get so many games where the startup is so horrible that I'm doomed from turn one and I think I've had a couple like that w/ the Hive. Overall, I can respect his philosophy even though I don't think it syncs with human nature...of course I guess that's why they invented nerve stapling eh? Of course, I also think that the person who made the comment about people following these ideologies because they were born and raised with them had a good point. "Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled they cannot become conscious." (Orwell, 1984) Mwuhaahaa

Oh...and as for the whole screaming thing... Firaxis should have made a movie specifically for Yang's defeat instead of using that stock one. Long Live the Chairman (so I can have my fun with him in his punishment sphere)!

Feyd
                      "The Chuck Norris military unit was not used in the game Civilization 4, because a single Chuck Norris could defeat the entire combined nations of the world in one turn."

Feyd

Comment

Originally posted by Feyd
                        Long Live the Chairman (so I can have my fun with him in his punishment sphere)!

Feyd
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

As a tried-and-true Gaian, I have to admit (**shudder!**) that I have played the Hive, and that I...liked it. But, my Yang was true to his brighter/higher quotes, pursuing a non-aggressive and benevolent (if authoritarian) rule.

Of the factions, Yang has almost as much 'flavor' as Dee does, for me at least. His mindset is challenging unless you like atrocities and punishment spheres, and think that having the State stomp on the face of humanity forever is a good thing (ala Orwell's 1984).

But, after toying with the good and neutral factions (leaving Miriam and the aliens untried) I find I can go home again: Gaia's Landing.

Hydro

Comment

Don't deny it, Hydro. Deidre is just as militant as Yang, perhaps even moreso. While Yang and Miriam may both be overtly aggressive, I've found that Dee quietly builds up her forces and when the two finish slugging it out, she comes in to reap the spoils.

While I have to say "visiting" Dee is fun and its great to have a high Ecology bonus, I prefer the caverns of the Hive.
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

FC - militant, yes. The key is how that militancy is expressed, and the desired end of that militancy. In my mind, for Yang it is no holds barred, and nothing is off limits. Planet buster? Sure! Nerve stapling? Of course! Gas attacks? Naturally!

After these types of atrocities have rendered Yang's opponents dead, or safely enslaved, they have a bleak life of unending toil, the subservience of all individuality to Yang's bleak vision for humanity.

That, in the end, is what I object to. I much prefer a leader that strives for ideals that include democracy (of some form), and a society where the individual is recognized as valuable, and where that individual can strive for the betterment of the whole. In Yang's anti-utopia the individual has no more importance than a cell: In other words - none.

I would hate to see the future of humanity to be determined by a future Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin, or Mao. Yang is perfectly frightening since he combines his stark genius with the most horrific features of the aforementioned leaders: ruthlessness and amorality.

A counter argument is that any faction can be portrayed as ruthless and amoral, and I have no doubt that in MP you have to or you die (like a stuck pig). However, the agendas of the factions are illuminating, as are the quotes, in describing means and objectives. By the measure Yang stands out of the original seven, and he is fascinating in a Hannibal Lector sort of way.

Comment

hah... now now, Yang considers individuals valuable.

...In the sense that in large numbers they make wonderfultools and are very fun to tyrranize...

Ahem.

*Runs like hell 'fore the Hivers try to kill me*
                                Noctre, Dak'Tar, the master of the endless shadow that envelops you... That is what they call me. Fear, little mortals, and feed me, for you, my little ones... are mine.

Comment

Working...
                                X