Directed Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scipio

Try to have some fun with it. Sure, even on directed research you do not get every possible choice every time but thats more "realistic" anyway. Imagine a bunch of scientists scrambling around knowing that you want biogenetics but being unable to offer it to you. IIRC the same issue arose in CIV2 when people had to research a non-beeline tech on the road to monarchy

But I'm with RedFred on this one. Once I went to double-blind I can't imagine going back in SP. The challenges when you do not know if Industrial Auto will be the next tech or ten more down the road are a heck of a lot of fun.
    [This message has been edited by cbn (edited February 22, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cbn on 02-22-2001 08:38 AM
      Scipio
      Try to have some fun with it. Sure, even on directed research you do not get every
      possible choice every time but thats more "realistic"

Well that didn't work out to well did it? I'll try a new message

[This message has been edited by Scipio Centaurus (edited February 22, 2001).]

Much better!!! Think I'll quit while I'm ahead of the game. :lol

[This message has been edited by Scipio Centaurus (edited February 22, 2001).]
      Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cbn on 02-22-2001 08:38 AM
        Scipio

Try to have some fun with it. Sure, even on directed research you do not get every possible choice every time but thats more "realistic" anyway...
        [This message has been edited by cbn (edited February 22, 2001).]

You don't happen to work for Firaxis do you? :lol

[cbn]...Imagine a bunch of scientists scrambling around knowing that you want biogenetics but being unable to offer it to you...

[SC] Problem is, that statement applies equally well to directed, blind and double-blind research.

- Scipio
        Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

Me with Firifax ?? LOL -- -- maybe then I would be in a position to get a patch for those annoying bugs.-- I have barely enough computer ability to keep my games running and surf the net from up here in eastern Canada.

My comment was merely that directed research in Smac is similar to in CIV2. In both games you do not get every option every time.

As others have pointed out , in directed you will not be denied the desired tech choice time after time. If I read their posts right it seems you will be denied a tech choice once and then it appears next time round (assuming prereqs are in place). Since it is rare that there are not 2 or more tech choices that would be helpful its never been a huge problem.(unless you are trying for a transcend record or something)

You also have to understand that I am a player who loves the wrinkles that double blind brings in conjunction with random factions. (i.e. Miriam alone and no way to build a boat and find anyone and Doc: flex refuses to come up). I think it is a much better game when there is some variability and uncertainty to the game. Just my opinion. . . .

I acknowledge that directed research does not give you complete control over what will be researched but I see this as a game feature and not necessarily a flaw. Blind and double-blind respectively then further reduce the players ability to control the research flow. Each is very different.

Comment

• Working...
            X