Directed Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directed Research

I have a question about directed research. Sometimes the game does not offer a particular tech that I would like to, and should be able to research. How can I make the game offer different tech choices? TIA

Delende est Ashcrofto

There isn't really any way to change which it offers you, other than changing which techs you have. For example if you have the pre-req for IndAuto, but it isn't offered, but doc flex is and you know several players do have it then choose Docflex as your research, then trade an AI for it.

Hit Ctrl-R to bring up research and a new set of researchable techs should be available. In fact even if you couldn't trade doc flex, but got something else you can still hit ctrl-R and a new set of researchable techs will be shown, but you lose 50% of your research points.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Blake on 02-20-2001 11:18 PM
      ...Hit Ctrl-R to bring up research and a new set of researchable techs should be available. In fact even if you couldn't trade doc flex, but got something else you can still hit ctrl-R and a new set of researchable techs will be shown, but you lose 50% of your research points.

Thanks. I tried the above - might have been Shift+R instead of Ctrl+R - but it didn't let me see new techs till AFTER I had paid the 50% penalty and... you guessed it... the exact same techs were made available as the first time I picked.

...sounds like trading for techs might have to be the way to go. So much for 'directed' research, eh?
      Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

IIRC, there was a discussion which came to some conclusion as to what was and wasn't available at any given time. Give us a minute..
        The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
        Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
        All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
        "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Found it - thread titled "Q about how game chooses Blind Research".
          The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
          Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
          All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
          "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Scipio,

Just thought I'd add a little pointer regarding:

quote:

Originally posted by Scipio Centaurus on 02-21-2001 01:46 AM
            Thanks. I tried the above - might have been Shift+R instead of Ctrl+R - but it didn't let me see new techs till AFTER I had paid the 50% penalty and... you guessed it... the exact same techs were made available as the first time I picked.

...sounds like trading for techs might have to be the way to go. So much for 'directed' research, eh?

Yes, you are warned that if you change research goals you will lose 50% tech already researched *before* you can actually select a new tech

BUT

if you tell the computer you still want to change techs (and risk the 50% loss) and then actually select the SAME tech that you had selected before (resulting in no actual change) you WILL NOT lose 50% tech. Try it and see!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Chowlett on 02-21-2001 07:35 AM
              Found it - thread titled "Q about how game chooses Blind Research".

Thanks. I skimmed through it. I'll read it in more detail after work.
              Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by karu-san on 02-21-2001 08:15 AM
                Scipio,
                ...if you tell the computer you still want to change techs (and risk the 50% loss) and then actually select the SAME tech that you had selected before (resulting in no actual change) you WILL NOT lose 50% tech. Try it and see!

OK. I'll test that out and see what happens. Only thing is if the game will *defintely* always show the same techs when doing this, there's not much point...
                Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

It should only show the same techs if you haven't recieved a new one. You missed a point in the conversation I think. Trade for ANY tech first, then hit Shift-R. Then it may be worth the loss of 50%, with new selections available. If you still don't see the one you want, select the same tech your researching, then go trade for ANOTHER new tech, and repeat.
                  Fitz. (n.) Old English
                  1. Child born out of wedlock.
                  2. Bastard.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 02-21-2001 01:59 PM
                    It should only show the same techs if you haven't recieved a new one. You missed a point in the conversation I think. Trade for ANY tech first, then hit Shift-R. Then it may be worth the loss of 50%, with new selections available. If you still don't see the one you want, select the same tech your researching, then go trade for ANOTHER new tech, and repeat.

You're right, I didn't catch that before. Now I can see where this might be useful after you've had a chance to pick up a few techs. I still think Firaxis could have done a better job with directed research.

Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

Directed research? Bah! Play double blind, it is more fun.

Comment

BTW, Scipio - if it doesn't come up the second time, check you have all the prerequisites - the number of times I have been looking for a tech without all the prerequisites are too numerous to mention....and I have never seen it fail to come up twice....

For my own experience on this, I have found it, to my eye at least, to be entirely random. Having said that, I know some sort of formula involving a complex code was devised in civ2, and I would not be surprised in the least to see this carried over to SMAC.
                        [This message has been edited by mark13 (edited February 21, 2001).]
                        We're back!
                        http://www.civgaming.net/forums

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by RedFred on 02-21-2001 05:17 PM
                          Directed research? Bah! Play double blind, it is more fun.

I normally do play blind research in solo play. What's double-blind? Not selecting any particular area of emphasis?

Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

Selecting all four areas
                            Team 'Poly

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by mark13 on 02-21-2001 05:23 PM
                              BTW, Scipio - if it doesn't come up the second time, check you have all the prerequisites - the number of times I have been looking for a tech without all the prerequisites are too numerous to mention....and I have never seen it fail to come up twice....

In this case the desired tech was level 1
                              Delende est Ashcrofto

Comment

Working...
                              X