Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's the sequence I've been using:

First rover:
    1> kill the synthrover NE of Morgan Mussels (MM)
    2> kill the damaged synthprobe
    3> attack the MM plasma rover (most of the time 50% chance of success

Second rover:
    1> land on the farm tile

If the first rover was killed trying to kill the MM garrison:
    2a> attack the plasma rover
    3a> kill the crawler

If the plasma rover in MM was already killed:
    2b> kill the crawler
    3> we've got a movement point left! Handy in case the third rover fails to kill a MI former

Third rover:
    1> land on the farm
    2> move SE and attack the synthrover MI garrison (uses 1 1/3 mp)
    3> attack a former (if it still can)

Fourth rover:
    land, move one tile SE, kill the second former, move into MI, (scrap the network node and found Ironholm), obliterate MI. Still 1/3 MP left.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Such a lot depends on the luck of the game combat engine.

This time I was able, from the ship, to destroy the probe, the syntharmored rover and the Mussels plasma rover. Second Impact rover then landed and took out both the crawler as well as the synthrover at Industries.

Third took out both formers, and the 4th had enough to get to the base, obliterate it and then stack with the 3rd.

that left just 1 exposed (the first stayed on the Mercury)

Comment

There are some other moves that can be made while the rest of you play with the scenario

I'll make some of them then post a midturn save before we decide on what to do re: Morgan

Comment

Googlie, as far as I am concerned, we want to hurt people here, accepting high losses. If this stacking makes us lose the raid, then we should drop it IMO.

We are in the chat, discussing Maniac's proposal. It seems to have higher chances of success, but with losses very much possible. OTOH, we would need to disband some attackers anyway...
          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

72,84% chance, to be precise.
            (With thanks to Snoddasmannens calculator )

Comment

Is there any way that we could raise our ECs to 400? Because, if we did that, we could upgrade to missle amphibious rovers, and our success would be all but assured. Could we take a loan out from anyone?
              Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

well, we have another 25 ec's!!

Some small moves:
                • stockpile energy put into Argos’ queue
                • Moved MT’s crawler on to the solar-tiled square, and collected energy (3)
                • Moved the 2Nuts crawler on board the Aarvak 4 tiles north
                • Put a GT-class cruiser in production at MT and 2nuts and popped the pod beside the Pegasus
                • Got a Unity Rover (we will need to send the Heimdall there to pick up all our hardware)
                • Moved the Peg to pop the coastal pod – got 25 ec’s ….. we’re just outside a Gaian base
                Attached Files

Comment

So we'd need to find 127 credits somewhere...

Comment

I have another idea for saving ECs. We could either disband R-112 or upgrade it to something less expensive before upgrading all of the impact rovers, cutting our cost down to 320.
                    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Yep, Snoddasmannen suggested the same in the chatroom.
                      Also upgrading to gatling would only cost 300

Comment

I used the R-112 to pop the landpod that gave us that second Unity Rover there

But Gatling does the trick every time - from the Mercury, it has enough hitpoints to take out the damaged probe, the synthrover and the MM plasma unit.

Nest rover lands on the farm and takes out the crawler and the MI syntharmor defense

Third lands and stacks with the second to take out both formers

Fourth enters MI, and has enough left to take out that second crawler plus anything else that may be in range (or move back to triplestack)

Comment

Morgan Industires has fallen:
                          Attached Files

Comment

..... now all your base are belong to us ...............
                            Attached Files

Comment

Footnote to history:

I stupidly lost us the Mercury and the Chiron Knights (onboard, having taken out the Morgan syntharmored rover and the MM plasma defender)

We were disbanding our gatling attack rovers (to avoid them just being gifts to Morgan) when I cutely thought that with the last one I could maybe destroy Mussels using the rover's self-destruct weapon. Well, the base survived, but I destroyed the Mercury and the Chiron Knights instead

Stupid me

Comment

Some other moves before I forget them:
                                • Hermes moved to the Nexus site and disembarked the Colony Pod and the Hoplite
                                • Heimdall moved souith through the Styx to anchor just outside Fellowship City
                                • Invincible moved into the bay at UN Great Refuge
                                • Disco Volante moved to the southwest of Cape of Sol
                                • Njord moved offshore paraminia, and shelled the forst therem doing no damage, but revealing a colony pod
                                • Vladimorei moved west to tag team with Njord
                                • R-112 reboarded the Pegasus, while the Unity Rover sped northwest up the arm of the peninsula

Comment

Working...
                                X