No announcement yet.

Command Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so you know, I've only played two MP games of SMAC in my entire life, and neither of them to the end
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Kapitain Krysia's Krusader may have to ammend his previous statement...

Zeiter:

Have you played multi-player PBEM's?
      This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

I could also be more or less considered a PBEM newbie. I think I can count the PBEMs I ever participated in on my two hands, and the ones I ended on one hand. Let me think...

1> 2-way game with Jeanette Matthews. Co-op Diplo victory because the game became too boring.
        2> 4-way game. Co-op with Googlie IIRC.
        3> Some all-pirate game. I played rather bad. The game stalled after a few years.
        4> Chiron Winter II. Stalled after 40 years or so IIRC.
        5 & 6> Forum Wars I: splendid victory! Forum Wars V: defeat.
        7> One City game with five humans. Was second biggest power for a long time, but IIRC big_canuk beat me in the race to D:AP, so I faced an early end.
        8> PBEM game with first-ACDG people. Stalled after 20 years.

That's about it AFAIK. Except the last one they're also all older than two or three years IIRC.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
          7> One City game with five humans. Was second biggest power for a long time, but IIRC big_canuk beat me in the race to D:AP, so I faced an early end.
          Ah, yes. I remember that one. b_c was the PK's and that extra 1 (pre complexes) and 2 (pre domes) pops proved critical

I remember trying to nuke his sole base, but he had so many crawlers around it that the planetbuster harmlessly detonated many tiles from the base (at least I think that was the game - he learned that trick from Misotu years ago when we played the nato series which had b_c and I partnered against Tau Ceti and Misotu.)

Those were the heady days of smac'ing, were they not?

As for me, I've prolly played in 150-ish PBEMs and set up 60 - 90 or so as a CMN

Comment

I've only played 3 pbems (none of which I played all the way through to the end.)

So, I guess I could be considered a relative pbem newbie.

Man, Googlie! Those are impressive numbers!

Also, I propose that I be temporarily taken off the "most active" list, at least for a week or two. My teachers are hitting me with mountains of work, and I've got some fairly crucial tests coming up next week, so at best I'll just be able to pop in.
            Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeiter
              A good 2 dozen, though were parallel head-to-head games (eg, 2 simultaneous games, say, with you. In one, I'm the Caretakers and you're the Usurpers, and the AI is five other factions. the parallel game (different map) has us reversed - you're the C's and I'm the U's. Or it could be The Hive and Sparta, or morgan and the Drobes, etc etc)

They are fabulous fun (and the winner is a combined game win, factoring in fastest win and longest survival in a losing cause, with a big emphasis on winning quickly and efficiently. The first couple of games, with Vel, we had aggregate AC score, but that was an invitation, if easily winning, to drag the game out past the future techs, etc etc with mega populations)

Comment

Originally posted by Zeiter

You don't know this guy?
                He's the one the rest of us use as a benchmark.
                This is what it means to be a Spartan. It's not the killing or the suffering that matters. It's the purity of focus, without fear of death or pain.

Comment

Following my "demotion" I've changed my rank in the Embassies to Captain, and fired myself as Recording Officer.

Someone else (Zeiter? - reinforcing that the Gaian camp is in the ascendancy right now?) should ad the tag line to their Aimoo profile:

Recording Officer to the Junta, The Spartan Federation

Comment

Curator, Military Museum, Sparta Command

Comment

Ah, I didn't know until now "Crypteia" was related to ancient Sparta.

Comment

Hey I see we're all online. Why don't we meet in the chatroom?

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                          Hey I see we're all online. Why don't we meet in the chatroom?
                          Oops - sorry - didn't see this until just now

Pity, as we could have continued the invasion realtime like we did last turn

Ah well - better plan it next turn. (I looked at the thread when I got up this morning, and the turn was there, so I opened it to see if the base was still empty, and things just .............. you know .......... took off from there!!)

Comment

With regulars numbering five, (Googlie, Kassiopeia, Maniac, Modo and Snoddasmannen) maybe we should activate the Ephorate

However, beyond the counsel, and beyond the assembly, was the Ephorate. The ephorate was a group of five men who practically guided all aspects of Spartan life. Along with ruling over the military, it held the power to veto any ruling made by the Counsel or the assembly. Regardless of how odd such a political system may seem in the twentieth century, and how opposite it may have been in comparison to the democracy of Athens, Spartan culture flourished through out the Aegean. Known almost exclusively for its military strength, and its role within the Persian Wars, the Spartans believed themselves to be of "true" Greek lineage and tradition. Their reign, extended with the aid of alliances and invasions, covered most of the pelloponesus, until the Spartans eventually rivaled Athens.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                              With regulars numbering five, (Googlie, Kassiopeia, Maniac, Modo and Snoddasmannen) maybe we should activate the Ephorate
                              Nice observation
                              While I welcome being a part of the ruling elite, I'm not so sure it would send a good message to lurkers or new players who want to join the fun

Comment

Technically, we are doing just this at the moment. We can use the name as a nice roleplay, but I don't think we need to make it formal.
                                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                                X