This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Infotrader/Infiltrator Network - Diplomacy plug-in

This network thread is dedicated to the posting and discussion of our contacts with other factions. So keep it empty untill the Infotrader/Infiltrator (ambassadors) team has something to report.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Well using Maki's end 2119 turn, I called up Mr Yang for a chat. I asked him if he had any other faction comms, and he asked which one I was interested in. I asked for the Gaians. but he didn't have it. Then he had to dash as he hadn't got all day to talk: busy tyrant that he is.

So here's the question.

Is it allowed that my team mates also call up Mr Yang and ask the same question but for a different faction each time.

This way we will learn if Mr Yang has met any other factions (other AI perhaps?).

However if this was not a team MP game, we would only get to ask the question once each turn, before the abrupt sign off. It would take me 5 turns to discover if he has met the Peacekeepers (or whoever) or not. OTOH we are not playing any moves ahead. I chose the Gaians but it could've been any faction and I got lucky.

Lastly we would still need ecs to buy the comm if we wanted it. So at this point it is still just an intelligence gathering exercise.

Note Maki hadn't contacted Yang (unless she did after posting the end turn, but she didn't mention it): I don't believe we discussed it as a play possibility: probably because we thought he might ask for another tech or something vile.
    Last edited by Hercules; July 26, 2004, 17:08.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hercules
      Is it allowed that my team mates also call up Mr Yang and ask the same question but for a different faction each time.
      Yes

Taken from the rules
      It is also allowed to use parallel turns of the official game to test out AI diplomacy (with the exception that you can't accept AI world map offers or trades)
      Smile
      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Then let's try it! Use the next turn or this one?
        I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

I have tried 2 out of 3 but Yang doesn't appear to have met any other faction yet.

BUT. Yang has Doc: Flex.

and Here's the interesting bit he was prepared to exchange Doc:Flex for our world map.

Now that poses us some issues down the line (or it did).

Here was the question. If we pass our map to Yang can he pass it on or pass on his map knowledge of the world to others. (I have been led to believe the AI knows all this anyhow, or is it just the AI knows about unit positions, such as probes). If the AI (Yang) is not able to trade maps as per the rules, then we have nothing to lose.

But say, as we intend to, infiltrate Yang and probe rape to the end of tech, there comes the point there is nothing left to steal but the maps. So are maps stealable from the AI.? Thus for example giving us Morgan maps if they traded their maps.

So I am guessing, we can probe Yang for tech and his maps but not trade for them? The point being if we trade our world maps to Yang are they liable to be stolen at some stage down the line.

Comment

As far as I understand it if we trade our map info with Yang, and Yang trades his 'updated' worldmap afterwards with another team, that team knows our position.

I don't think the AI can trade all map info (prior to have received it or scouted it itself) to another faction, but I keep on hearing the AI knows all unit positions, but those positions are NOT traded if he trades map info with a team, so the receiver does not suddenly sees other faction units popping up.

It even get weirder on team vs team basis as far as I noticed.
            In a PBEM I trade map info with a pact partner, and I got new map info from his trades with other factions, but NOT with new map info on a black patch of the world I knew he had scouted for a few turns.

Lastly, if Yang has map info on other teams for some reason, and we 'free' his worldinfo we will have the same info he has on the last update he received (probing or trading) from the other factions/teams.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

So the question is. If asked,
              Would we trade our map info for Doc: Flex, in the next few years.

Comment

I say yes.

Yang, after all, keeping him friendly and happy is a good thing, and getting some foil probes and foil gunships out to pop pods early, and maybe at least one secret sea colony pod would be great, IMHO.

Comment

Doc:Flex is very tempting.
                  The same question from the other side:
                  Can releasing our current map harm our faction very much? Sooner or later others will get the map. Having Doc:Flex early will speed up contact with others - technology trading is a good thing.
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest
                  WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

I've put my opinion as well in the turn thread, but I'm inclined to agree with Mart and FF. Especially since it seems our continent is made like spikes around the Hive nexus. Probe foils will be more usefull then in future if the Hive blocks easy passage.

Make that 3 in favor then.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Ok But just be careful in the negotiations. It may require the old parallel treatment.

Comment

How went negotionations? Without a hitch?

Comment

I notice Morganites are taking a looong time on thsi turn - perhaps they've met someone?
                          But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
                          PolyCast | Girl playing Civ + extra added babble! | Yo voté en 2008!

Comment

Or the mind worms have found them... It's past 2115 after all, and it sounds like they made the FM SE change... just a minor hunch for the tone of some Morganites posts...
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

It appears the Gaians have found us instead of we them. Sloppy work from the infiltration bureau indeed!!

We're all supposed to have received this, but for the record is here the message:

This an automated broadcast for the Gaian Union. The message is being emitted on all frequencies and all of your members should receive it. We have encountered you faction and we wish to establish official diplomatic relations with you. We are a peaceful nation, dedicated to preservation of the environment, progress and growth. We have no ill intentions towards you and we look forward to cooperation with you.

We appreciate your tendencies for freedom and free flow of information. You tendencies for a free society is much like our own, and your preferences for democratic system is also notable. However we are worried about your hacking tendencies and we warn you not to try to disrupt flow of information in Gaian Union.

If we pool our resources we could create a hybrid block that would ensure prosperity of both of our peoples and would successfully stand firm to any opposition from other factions. We are interested in research cooperation and establishing trade routes.

We will appoint ambassador to your nation, and in the meantime, we ask you to direct all communication to us towards our Lord of Diplomacy Octavian X, and to Chairman of the High Council Lord Chaos Theory
                              So, I'll open the turn shortly to see were they are.
                              How is our stance with the Gaians gonna be? Friendly, hostile or backstabbing (sooner instead of near-end game)?
                              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                              X