Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I'm new to SMAC/X. I use to play a lot of Civ II SP.

My email is vincent AT post DOT harvard DOT edu.

My interest is learning more about strategy. I'd be interested in looking at the turns as they come in and as they go out and participating in the discussion of the moves, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

For starters there is lots of reading of all the threads that have turn playing in them.

That seems to mainly be the DG and Multiplayer stuff.
      You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
      There is a reason for everything.

Comment

And Welcome vyeh.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

how did you get in here?!!?!?

ill post a midsave\pass later when i get around to it. we are kicking spartan ass all over the place currently.

Not
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Dreams are beautifull.

Welcome vyeh.
            (but I have to admit I'm curious what brings you to a "losing" team)
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

ForesterSOF, I'll certainly do the homework of reading the DG material and I'll browse the MP stuff.

Kataphraktoi, I had played Spaceward Ho! 5 SP to death over the last few years and was looking for a new game. I use to play Civ II SP a lot and remembered that SMAC had PC Gamer's all-time highest rating. So I put SMAC and SMAX in my machine and started playing.

Then I went online to look for strategy guides. In the process I discovered the fori. I wondered what the DG's were. I was intrigued and decided to join.

I liked the description of DA's the best (not into role-playing as the Gaiens are, although I normally like to play the Gaiens, and the description of the other two factions didn't suggest the breakdown between roleplaying and strategizing.

GeoModder, maybe I'll learn more! I also noted that the DA's were the smallest group and that appealed to me.
              Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Enigma has given us an extra member after all this time? Unbelievable.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

GeoModder, maybe I'll learn more! I also noted that the DA's were the smallest group and that appealed to me.
                  Feel free to ask Q's on the sav. Best way to learn a game is to lose a few, IMHO. I always start new games on the hardest setting for that reason. After adapting, you are stronger than the guy who only has wins under his belt.

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

The interesting thing is that our core group even in adversity is still significant.

There's:

Kata
                    Geo
                    Mart
                    Forest
                    Hercules

I am not sure many or any of the other factions can claim that.

Comment

The one thing we lacked was a good PR person.

We never managed to produce a newssheet.

Spartans seem to be best at doing that.

Comment

News is not my thing.

1s and 0s are mine.
                        You have two choices in life; Explore and learn or Vegetate.
                        There is a reason for everything.

Comment

I write decent BS when i need to i guess, but longwinded reports that are coherent were never my thing.

most other factions only seem to have maybe 2-3 players

Comment

I don't want to make any promises, but as I'm back on the site I think I may be able to particiapte in the tail end of this game, at least in an advising role. Still not up to speed, but I'll be looking the turnsave over when I have the time. Of course, if the game is about to end as I've heard rumors of, it may be an exercise in futility, but then at least no one will be able to accuse me of not having exercised. Take care!
                            Adam T. Gieseler

Comment

Working...
                            X