Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A SMAC team for the Civ IV about-to-be-set-up Democracy Team game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by binTravkin
    'The Orbital Death Cannon' [binTravkin] no comments needed..

Comment

Hey, I've compiled a list of interests in our team (you're welcome to add/correct me where needed):
      Code:
      Person		Interests in team
      ---------------------------------------
      Googlie		turnplay, strategy
      Chaos Theory	strategy
      binTravkin	strategy, roleplay
      Maniac		strategy
      Illuminatus	roleplay, represenation
      Hercules	strategy
      So, how about Illuminatus and Googlie being our top figures?
      I don't know, the greekish position names and structure of government out of head, but will look up against books.
      Illu could help here too.

Idea is to have
      1.a civ representative, the authority, which could be Illuminatus
      2.an executive officer, the person doing the actual governing of our civ - Googlie
      3.several High Council members / Advisors (Strategoi), who'd be the forgers of strategies (not excluding the above two from the process, of course) and would also give some contribution to roleplay.

I just can't think of very much advisors we could have:
      Navy advisor - Maniac
      Army advisor - Hercules
      Economics advisor - Chaos Theory
      Diplomatical advisor - bT

All those could of course be changed, it's just a proposal.
      -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Hey, I've compiled a list of interests in our team (you're welcome to add/correct me where needed):
        Code:
        Chaos Theory	strategy
        Maniac		strategy
        Illuminatus	roleplay, represenation
        Hercules	strategy
        So, how about Illuminatus and Googlie being our top figures?
        I don't know, the greekish position names and structure of government out of head, but will look up against books.

Idea is to have
        2.an executive officer, the person doing the actual governing of our civ - Googlie
        3.several High Council members / Advisors (Strategoi), who'd be the forgers of strategies (not excluding the above two from the process, of course) and would also give some contribution to roleplay.

Navy advisor - Maniac
        Army advisor - Hercules

I could be regilion advisor

Comment

Code:
          Chaos Theory	strategy
          Maniac		strategy
          Illuminatus	roleplay,
          Hercules	strategy
          So, how about Googlie being our top figures?

Idea is to have

Navy advisor - Maniac
          Army advisor - Hercules

Bad binTravkin I'll probably refrain from any decision making and positions, as I work on too many things on ACS to have time for getting deeply involved. I'll lurk to learn, chime in with a potential advice and perhaps engage in roleplay later.

You are however right about names and structure, I can certainly help here. We should decide which ancient greek organisation would you like to mimic? Unique Spartan military state? Cleisthenian democracy? Solonian timocracy? A generic ancient tyrany or oligarchy?

Considering the democracy theme, perhaps a Pericles era Cleisthenian democracy is the best choice. But then again, I would say such organisations can't apply to democracy games without modifications of the system. Perhaps only take it as inspiration for position names. What do you say?

BTW, I will probably be unavailable the rest of the week, but should be back with Sid Meier's Civilization 4 this weekend.
          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I vote for a sybarchy as model organisation, Illuminatus.
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Navy advisor - Maniac
              W00t! I suggest we build a bunch of galleys and raid and pillage the coasts of anyone we can find.

You need not search further for my title. You may address me as Poseidon, God of the Sea.

Originally posted by Illuminatus
              Cleisthenian democracy? Solonian timocracy?
              Eh?

Do we need to stick with one though? As our civics change, our government structure could also change, and pick another theme from the varied Greek political history.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

There are several ways to succeed in CIV 4 from what I can determine: For us we could be a Greek hermit gathering: Spartan spartans, or militaristic spartan Spartans, or well, a democracy even, or maybe even a Greek orthodox sect.
                On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

If we followed the suggestions above, and took ancient Sparta as our model, then:

Illuminatus and Googlie would be the 2 Kings

binTravkin,
                  Chaos Theory
                  Hercules
                  dmm1285
                  Maniac

would be our 5 Ephors, each with a specialty (or such five as get elected by the people)

and collectively, with additional members, we would all constitute the Gerousia

see here

Comment

Autonomous Chironian Democratic Greeks

----

Person
                    Vev

Interest in Team
                    Part-time Spamer and nutcase
                    Promoter of Public Morale
                    Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

You are however right about names and structure, I can certainly help here. We should decide which ancient greek organisation would you like to mimic? Unique Spartan military state? Cleisthenian democracy? Solonian timocracy? A generic ancient tyrany or oligarchy?

Considering the democracy theme, perhaps a Pericles era Cleisthenian democracy is the best choice. But then again, I would say such organisations can't apply to democracy games without modifications of the system. Perhaps only take it as inspiration for position names. What do you say?
                      Illu, there's an answer. We just need to take a look to what civics is similar or close to which government type of Ancient Greece.
                      Do we need to stick with one though? As our civics change, our government structure could also change, and pick another theme from the varied Greek political history.
                      You need not search further for my title. You may address me as Poseidon, God of the Sea.
                      This is a fun suggestion.
                      For the sake of roleplay, maybe we should adapt this one to our needs.

How about:
                      Code:
                      Person		Deity		Desc
                      -------------------------------------------------------------
                      Googlie		Zeus		The Leader Of Deities

Chaos Theory	Ares		The Deity Of War

binTravkin	Hermes		The (Instant) Messenger Deity

Maniac		Poseidon	The Deity Of The Oceans

Illuminatus	Apollo		The Deity Of Intelligence, 
                      				patron of many good things.

Hercules	himself		A legendary hero, known for his 
                      		(Heracles)	immense physical strenght.

dmm1285		?		Give me a short desc of your
                      				RP personality in previous DGs
                      				(so to have smth to start with)

GeoModder	Hephaestus	The Deity Of Fire And The Forge
                      				(one who sits in
                      				his underground Forge, and 
                      				hammers the Steel Of Lurk
                      				and The Thoughts Of Plot)

Vev		Dionysus	The Deity Of Wine
                      				(gets very upset whenever you
                      				call him - 
                      				'Hey you, old drunkard!')

Jamski		Hades		The Deity Of Death
                      				(he who devises all kinds
                      				of vile ways how to make 
                      				our enemies perish)

Archaic		?		?
                      -------------------------------------------------------------
                      Last edited by binTravkin; November 3, 2005, 06:38.
                      -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Why, thank you bT... Thought I was left for good in the stables of the helotes.

At least I can bed Aphrodite as the Master of Fire!
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

The greek lots have fair split of guys and gals gods. There is starting to be a shortage of guy gods, even the minor ones. Might be a good idea to break out the Heroes.

Well since my character is a fickle, Dionysus might fit. Esctasy to violent rage. And loads of xenowine.
                          Promoter of Public Morale
                          Alpha Centauri Democracy Game

Comment

Well since my character is a fickle, Dionysus might fit. Esctasy to violent rage. And loads of xenowine.
                            No problem, update incoming!

Comment

And, actually, the Deities theme works well, 'cos that in fact is what we are - in game - "gods" making decisions that affect the mere mortals below (on the screen)

Comment

And, actually, the Deities theme works well, 'cos that in fact is what we are - in game - "gods" making decisions that affect the mere mortals below (on the screen)
                                Yea, I thought that too, but I didn't name them simply 'gods' because I wanted to make a reference to a difficulty level title ('deity'), thus futher showing that we're striving to be the best..

Comment

Working...
                                X