Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Or simply when you unzip it. Rename the folder and the file as a .Sav file. It will look untidy and it may look as if it has a double sav.sav ending. Play with the options until you no longer get that big ERROR message.

If/when you open it you can then save it as a proper Sav file.

I had to do something like that with Flameflashes (Mac user) forwarded pbem turns.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

• I'm having no luck with either the original file or renaming it manually or when unzipping the file. It still won't save.
      Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by vyeh
        2204 -> Spartans (will need Kody to DL, open, save and forward)

It's like scratching a dog, you give it one scratch and it becomes a full time job.

Zeiter/Googile, try using this save file, if it doesn't work you need to step me through the start of turn choices you want made in your private forum.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Herc,

When you played with Flameflashes (Mac user), was there anything he did so you could play with him.

Kody,

Consider it an incentive to find a better solution. If there is something I can do on my machine, I'm willing to try. Should I post a message on the Multiplayer Forum to see if this problem has been solved?

I've already offered to let another DA take over, but, for some unfathomable reason (like everyone who is still active has already had a chance to play), no one is interested. Of course, if the Spartans were willing to self-destruct the HSA and offer lots of tech and cash, that might be enough of a bribe to get a DA with Windows to play.
          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• So, the problem is you can't save on windows if there are :'s in the previous save name.

So, how do you solve this Kody?
            If you use windows, you shouldn't be able to save. If you use a mac, there should be :'s in your filename too...
            no sig

Comment

• >>>>> 2205 >>>>>
              Attached Files

Comment

• PJayTycy:
                It doesn't seem to affect all windows computers. That's why I was able to fix it the first time. Sperber gave the location of the filename in the file and I erased the filename in the file the 2nd time. That seems to have fixed the problem, so it seems that the :'s are the problem.

I guess I'll write a quick program to do the conversion.

Comment

• Well it took a bit longer than I thought, anyway here's the fix. I have a windows compiled binary, and source code for mac users.

The zipfile is a 3 kilobytes in size (rounded to the nearest 4k), so you may want to grab a cup of coffee while it downloads.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• It took a bit longer then you thought? 20 minutes is long?

Anyway, thanks alot.
                    He who knows others is wise.
                    He who knows himself is enlightened.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Originally posted by Kody
                      It's like scratching a dog, you give it one scratch and it becomes a full time job.
                      Untill you give it a stick to scratch itself
                      no sig

Comment

• No problem Geo, glad I can assist in your laziness of not wanting to play the turns.

Vyeh:
                        If you can't get the source code compiled on your mac then you'll probably need to keep the windows binary and give it to people that you PBEM with in future. I'm fairly sure the problem isn't just with this DG game.

Instructions for use "Drag and drop SMAX save file onto the program. It makes copy of the savefile that works for window SMAX users."

Untill you give it a stick to scratch itself
                        Nah giving a dog a stick would mean I would still need to scratch it, but on top of that I would need to play fetch too.

Hrmm actually that gives me an idea.... *throws the stick and starts running in the opposite direction*

Comment

• /me barks happily after Kody.
                          He who knows others is wise.
                          He who knows himself is enlightened.
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Kody,

Do you have a link that might give me hints about compiling your source code? I did some quick searching and found an Apple Developer Connection page on the GNU Compiler Collection on Mac OS X.

I have a degree in C.S. but no professional experience. With the proper guidance, I think I could figure out how to get the necessary tools to compile your program on my computer.

In any case, thanks for fixing the problem.
                            Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Did a google search and found the page that you were mentioning. It seems that the GNU Compiler Collection doesn't actually support Mac, it's actually the Xcode (833.7 MB download) which uses the GNU compiler internally.

I looked for other freeware compilers but there doesn't seem to be any usable ones, one never worked, the other only barely worked. There's some commerical ones, but they require forking out money.

From the sounds of it, Mac users will have to be holding on to the windows binary to give to people they play with since there doesn't seem to be an easily available c compiler for Mac.

Comment

• Any reason why the Gaians are late? (other than no-one has downloaded their turn - altho I did e-mail it to Chaos Theory when I posted it)

Comment

Working...
                                X