This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vyeh:

Unfortunately you have zipped your own Angels' turn - you need to select the "save as" at the turn end and send us the Spartan one

Googlie

Comment

• Retry. 2203-4 --> Spartans

Sorry. The game wasn't set up to complete the turn when I did the last move (as I expected).

I hope this one works.

edit: Maybe I was too tired. The attachment is an Angel one. Delete attachment. Am going to try to upload again. And then download.
      Last edited by vyeh; February 19, 2006, 09:54.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

• Nope, sorry Vyeh. The save still came up with the Data Angel save window. Did you hit "turn complete" before saving?
        Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

• There's definitely something wrong with this turn, Vyeh. When I try to press "end turn", it prompts immediately for the Spartan password, but neither using the "save and exit" or "ok" button gives me a save I can forward.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Third time's a ...

2203-4 --> Spartans
            Attached Files

Comment

• I downloaded the file I attached and it produces a Spartan save window. I apologize for the problems. As you can infer, this is my first time PBEM. I'll try to make it up by being conscientious about the deadlines.

FYI, I was attempting to follow a procedure on turnplaying that was posted in the DA private forum. The procedure said to play until there was a noncontroversial move left and post a midturn save in the private forum for other DA's to study.

Then take that midturn save and make the final move. I think that assumed that "turn complete" would automatically happen (which is the default preference for SP). Either because of the game or because of my Mac software, when I did that, the "turn complete" did not happen and I "saved as" the file putting in "-Spartans-" manually.

After your first message, I did go back and hit the "turn complete" and it produced a dialog box with "-Spartans-" automatically. I did a save and I deleted the erroneous file in the paragraph above. I must have forgotten to zip the new file.

Thank you for your patience.

Comment

• The third save finally works. Thanks, Vyeh!
                Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

• There is a major problem with the turn. Googlie and I were unable to save the turn midway through playing the turn. All of the other menu commands worked except for the save function. Even accessing it by ctrl+S didn't work. So, we thought we'd just have to play the turn all the way through on one machine without saving it. So I did, but now I am at the save screen for the Gaian turn, and even now the game won't save! What to do?

I had an idea. The mods could give me the password for the 2204 Gaian turn (the year did advance, by the way). I could open up the Gaian turn and try saving it from there? If we were to decide on this course of action, then I would voluntarily resign the Spartan faction and from this ACDG (considering I would be able to see the Gaian's turn), whether the measure worked or not (there's a chance that the game still wouldn't save).

And in case you all were wondering, yes, I still have the game open on my machine.

Comment

• Actually, I had the same with the Angel endsave. I don't know if this because our current turnplayer is playing on a Mac, but I do know that I couldn't complete the turn either and forward it.

My (personal) opinion is that the bugs don't warrant the pleasure anymore, and that Sparta will win this demogame in any case.
                    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Looks like our virus did the trick

Game has been FUBAR for awile, guys. Dont try to blame it all on crazy macs: goog already couldnt open the sav, not to mention our other bugs.
                      Last edited by Kataphraktoi; February 20, 2006, 18:31.
                      if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

• So...are you suggesting that we call an "end" to this game? I suppose I would find that acceptable. Should we start a new thread for it and run a poll on it?

And what to do with this game that I still have running on my machine? ctrl+alt+del to get out of the program? It would be a shame, though. It really was a beautiful turn.

I'd still be willing to put in the Gaian password and try to keep it going while resigning from the game. Either way the game ends for me.

Edit: and I am playing on windows XP, not mac.

Comment

• Why do you have to let it run? Don't you have an "endturn" save from which you can work again?
                          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• No - that's the problem - the game won't save after opening it - just the "turn complete" works (and that moves it on to the gaians, but it can't be saved there either)
                            Last edited by Googlie; February 20, 2006, 19:48.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeoModder
                              I don't know if this because our current turnplayer is playing on a Mac,
                              I have had this problem in other PBEMs when I am following a MAC player

Maybe someone other than vyeh needs to play the Angels' turn

(or someone more skilled than I am can hack the .sav file and change the mac reference to a PC one - I tried just removing it - using notepad - to make it look like the same wording of a 2195 turn, but then got the message "this is not a valid sav/map file" when I tried to open it)

Where's Kody when we need him?

Comment

• Notepad? try something like a hexidecimal editor.
                                this guy is experimenting in sav file editing. take a look
                                if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
                                X