X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Angels ProbeTeam Bug

Yeah, the Probe Rollover again.

A suggestion that I don't think was discussed: why not change the Angel's faction .txt file to give +1 SEProbe after they get PSA?
    #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
    #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Can't be done anymore, the .txt is incorporated in the game after it starts. Besides, this is discussed in June, and decided that other teams must fulfill certain conditions when they successfully probe the Angels.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Refresh my memory please - what conditions?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

When mindcontrolling bases/units, the cost to do so is halved due to the bug, thus the offending party must spent the amount it needed to mindcontrol also in the same turn (overpaying a hurry cost or sth like that). Also, this indicates that a faction cannot mindcontrol Angel units (at +4 probe) if it doesn't has the double cash in stock the game asks to succesfully do so.

That was the most important I think, perhaps one of the mods can clarify more, or check the gamerules.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I see. So basically we're fixing the bug by paying the extra otherwise? As long as people go by it, it's a good system. Thanks for the info.

But how about probabilities? Doesn't the probe rating affect that too?
          Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

That I don't know. But it seems (info from Maniac) that the morale level is not affected, so chances of success should remain the same.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I just seem to recall hearing that only tha alpha(x) got incorporated.
              #play s.-cd#g+c-ga#+dgfg#+cf----q.c
              #endgame

Quantum P. is a champion: http://geocities.com/zztexpert/docs/upoprgv4.html

Comment

The factions too.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by #endgame
                  I just seem to recall hearing that only tha alpha(x) got incorporated.
                  To the best of my knowledge only the #UNITS Section of the alpha(x).txt file gets incorporated into a game. Also, I am fairly certain that the Factions are not incorporated into a game, either.
                  However, the way to verify this is to generate a game on one machine, and then have the changes verified on another machine, as there does seem to be something "quirky" about scenario'd changes being carried over locally. FYI.

D

Comment

Wait, I didn't even know you can give or take away faction power social engineering settings upon fulfilling certain conditions like discovering a tech (besides the options FREEFAC or the free ability thing)...its not like they have an "if" condition you can stick somewhere in the file, right?
                    Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                    The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                    Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                    We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Darsnan: regarding the factions being changeble during a game, I've heard otherwise. I think it was Kody who told us.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I don't really recall saying that. I think I said it's possible to change an faction to AI control. Or allow a team to take over a AI faction. However, I think most people here want a more generic experience as they're after the competitive aspect of the game, so don't start requesting it.

Comment

Anyway I'm still curious.....its possible to have a condition for a social engineering setting?

Ie. if. tech discovered give +1, or something...

Although best is robust to knowledge.
                          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Also, this indicates that a faction cannot mindcontrol Angel units (at +4 probe) if it doesn't has the double cash in stock the game asks to succesfully do so.
                            If PROBE = 3 all units and bases become immune to any sort of probe infiltration
                            Ratings over 3 should be treated as 3, so there's no probe action you can take on Angels if they have either Fundy SE,Pre-Sentient Algo tech or Telephatic Matrix SP!!!

There should be NO discussion about this, I think it's clear!
                            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Not true. You can perform all probe operations *except* mind control on a faction with +3 probe.
                              "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                              -BBC news

Comment

Working...
                              X