No announcement yet.

The Merchant Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strategies proposed by all CDC members in office are directly in opposition to the strategies that would gain us "turn advantage".
    I'd rather stay out of this debate, but are you including me in this statement, and if so, why?

Comment

Yes, I'm including you. My disagreements with you are just two nitpickings, though the first one could be a problem if your idea was implimented. The rest of your stance I have no real disagreement with. I'd question the armoured probes, since they're just so expensive (And with Arty broken in SMAC, the only real use for them is as extra garrisons), but you said you didn't want to take away funds from the other areas, so I don't see that as being a problem in the long run.

positioning military forces near the borders of hostile factions
      Extra (IMO unnecessary) forces besides the base garrisons and the small counter-offensive force I'd expect we'd have (ie. The units we used to prototype new weapons, etc). ==> Turns spent in creation that could be used on facilities ==> Credits spend on upgrading that could be used to hurry.

If we need units on the borders BTW, why not crawlers, perhaps with trance and/or radar and/or armour. The less frills probably the better. They just need to be EWS's, they don't need to fight back. At least if they're crawlers they can pay for themselves eventually.

I will therefore argue against the institution of ‘Power’ system of values, except in extreme circumstances
      I personally see that it's better to have less well trained troops but much more of them, then a small amount of elite troops. With the projects we should be aiming at and the facilities we'll be building anyway, we really shouldn't need it.
      Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos

Comment

*confused* The Offensive Troops 'en masse?
        I only do that with the Drones or Yang.
        I'D prefer an smaller Elite Offensive Corp's which will less strain our scare resources?
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Main_Brain, GeneralTacticus, are you also against building cheaply trained 1-1-1 clean police forces? Those won't strain our resources and will act as good garrisons. Plus they aren't human wave "cannon meat" soldiers. They would be police forces which can be upgraded to combat troops in emergencies, if we have the money of course...
          Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
          Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
            if we have the money of course...
            *Sigh* Dont use this thread to promote your evil capitalistic ways

Just trying to lighten the mood....Because it seems as if this debate is being taken a bit too seriously....
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000 *Sigh* Dont use this thread to promote your evil capitalistic ways
              Well this is the Merchant Exchange.

Just trying to lighten the mood....Because it seems as if this debate is being taken a bit too seriously....
              Yeah I know. My post about police forces is just an attempt to get some on-topic discussion going on again. I for one aren't interested in the crap they are writing. I suggest they send mails or PMs to each other instead.
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac

Well this is the Merchant Exchange.
                *Sigh* It doesnt quite seem like it....

Yeah I know. My post about police forces is just an attempt to get some on-topic discussion going on again. I for one aren't interested in the crap they are writing. I suggest they send mails or PMs to each other instead.
                I for one completly agree. They should take it 'outside'.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Urgg... Can't... Be... Out-bickered...

Comment

i think we've all had enough of this

Comment

• .... I'll buy into that, TKG...
                      I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

• You people aren't the only ones who've had enough of it you know.

Anyway, in response to Main_Brain, yes, more troops would strain mineral resources more, but these extra troops wouldn't be produced until we were at or about to go to war anyway. And with the facilities/SP I expect we'll be building, they'll be close enough to elite anyway. Penalties to Industry cripple us far more than a few extra minerals in support here and there.

Comment

• Extra (IMO unnecessary) forces besides the base garrisons and the small counter-offensive force I'd expect we'd have (ie. The units we used to prototype new weapons, etc). ==> Turns spent in creation that could be used on facilities ==> Credits spend on upgrading that could be used to hurry.

If we need units on the borders BTW, why not crawlers, perhaps with trance and/or radar and/or armour. The less frills probably the better. They just need to be EWS's, they don't need to fight back. At least if they're crawlers they can pay for themselves eventually.
                          If we can see we're going to get into a war anyway, isn't it better to be able to strike as soon as necessary rather than having to wait while we build up our army and move them to the border?

I personally see that it's better to have less well trained troops but much more of them, then a small amount of elite troops. With the projects we should be aiming at and the facilities we'll be building anyway, we really shouldn't need it.
                          I agree that 'Power' tends to not be worth it, however, I don't think it should be ruled out as an option completely.

EDIT:
                          Main_Brain, GeneralTacticus, are you also against building cheaply trained 1-1-1 clean police forces? Those won't strain our resources and will act as good garrisons. Plus they aren't human wave "cannon meat" soldiers. They would be police forces which can be upgraded to combat troops in emergencies, if we have the money of course...
                          No, I'm not against building them. I find they can be very useful (though they won't be if we use FM).
                          Last edited by GeneralTacticus; September 5, 2002, 04:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by GeneralTacticus
                            If we can see we're going to get into a war anyway, isn't it better to be able to strike as soon as necessary rather than having to wait while we build up our army and move them to the border?
                            I think you're assuming the day will be carried by land forces. Unless we get into battles very early, it should be Chop 'n' Drop all the way. Movement to the border? Pffft. What movement? Unless we're too spead out...(*Pokes a certain CCCP member*), it's not a problem

I agree that 'Power' tends to not be worth it, however, I don't think it should be ruled out as an option completely.
                            Why not? By the time it comes around, we'll be long past needing morale upgrades from it.

Comment

• I think you're assuming the day will be carried by land forces. Unless we get into battles very early, it should be Chop 'n' Drop all the way. Movement to the border? Pffft. What movement? Unless we're too spead out...(*Pokes a certain CCCP member*), it's not a problem
                              Chop'n'Drop, AFAIK, is not viable until we get the Space elevator, by which point the game will probably be decided anyway.

Comment

• How is it not viable? You're assuming our troops are far, far away. Not likely with the expansion we should have. Our drop troops would just leapfrog from base to base, 1 turn at a time, until they reach their target. The Choppers would do likewise. What's wrong with that? Hell, if it'll work in MP (cgn-5, myself against zergling.), it can work in SP.

Comment

Working...
                                X