No announcement yet.

Next ACDG: Roleplaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should be up to individual factions to decide if they want.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

But what with frontier societies - should then faction be ruled by faction autocrat?
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
        That should be up to individual factions to decide if they want.
        And that will be convenient for factions maybe, but will in no way represent politics choices. What democracy will it be when still ruled by a dictator. This will reduce political social engineering to merely set of mathematical factors
        Mart
        Map creation contest
        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Mart, I completely agree with you. SE should affect gameplay on that manor, but not vice versa. What will happen when Morgan starts running Fundy, I wonder
          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

The team as a whole roleplaying should be okay. The computer teams do after all. Certianly individuals shouldn't be forced to. I know at the moment I wouldn't want to, but perhaps if everyone else had chosen to, then I would change my mind.
            Last edited by Dansz; April 15, 2004, 13:46.

Comment

Well there are some basic "roleplay" rules - or conventions - that i think should be honoured:

If Morgan - or anyone else - runs FM, then the Gaians should not pact with them (it's their aversion, after all). Whewther it's enough to cause the G's to declare vendetta should give some room for in-faction internal roleplaying for those so inclined.

Similarly with Morgan and anyone running their aversion - planned. And Sparta with wealth running factions.

Of course no-one runs Power (although Sparta should, as it's their value), so the Angels should have no trouble getting along with everyone

That I would classify as "macro roleplaying". and perhaps should be mandatory for teams. How much individual in-forum and out-of-forum micro-roleplaying gets done should be up to individual preference.

And in defense of he who shall not be named he did, after all, say at the beginning that he'd not be roleplaying, but was entering this current game as a mentor, to raise smac/x skill levels for some team members in his forums.

G.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                And Sparta with wealth running factions.
                Then you're basically forcing Sparta to be hostile to everyone. About everyone runs Wealth most of the time in my experience.
                If Spartans go with the mercenary idea, one could also argue that they should be friends with everyone that runs Wealth: Spartans would look down on those factions, but they would offer "those weaklings" their military protection in exchange for a price.

Of course no-one runs Power (although Sparta should, as it's their value),
                Power's penalty - -2 Industry - is way too large IMO. A reason almost no one - or at least I never do - uses this SE setting until they have the Cloning Vats. Personally I'd argue to reduce the Power SE penalty to -1 Industry. That way it could actually be a profitable SE setting for all factions from time to time.
                Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily force teams to play their 'designed' SE settings. If Morgans for instance see fit to run green for a while (eg. most bases in the middle of a fungal wood), then they should be able to do so.
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

All of this ofcorse stems from the fact that the SE settings are poorly balanced and usaly encourage a Faction to take the option least in line with their ideology (like Morgan running Green rather then FM).

I ofcorse been tweeking and modifying the SE in my new Mod but their continues to be great resistence to incorporating any Alpha text changes in this game which I find very disapointing
                    Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                      Well there are some basic "roleplay" rules - or conventions - that i think should be honoured:

If Morgan - or anyone else - runs FM, then the Gaians should not pact with them (it's their aversion, after all). Whewther it's enough to cause the G's to declare vendetta should give some room for in-faction internal roleplaying for those so inclined.

Similarly with Morgan and anyone running their aversion - planned. And Sparta with wealth running factions.

Of course no-one runs Power (although Sparta should, as it's their value), so the Angels should have no trouble getting along with everyone

That I would classify as "macro roleplaying". and perhaps should be mandatory for teams. How much individual in-forum and out-of-forum micro-roleplaying gets done should be up to individual preference.

And in defense of he who shall not be named he did, after all, say at the beginning that he'd not be roleplaying, but was entering this current game as a mentor, to raise smac/x skill levels for some team members in his forums.

G.
                      I am against that. I think gameplay should dictate roleplay, and not vice versa. This would force wars from the start, and we would exactly know what will happen and who will war agaisnt whom. Basicall Gaians are codemned to isolation, and Spartans to attacking everybody.
                      Cannot Gaians be pacted with faction running FM, i hope to change their viewpoint, or while they are not significantly damging environment? Couldn`t Spartans tolerate others Wealth values while trying to perusade them that power is the best choice?

Comment

It is a fact that the Drones team in this ACDG has not roleplayed to a large amount. It is a pre-accepted agreement. There is no need to point fingers using some ill-intended names, nor to avoid the fact like it is a taboo.

On the contrary, we can simply pre agree that there should not be any team that does not participating the roleplay in this game. It is this simple.

My understanding of roleplaying is that the teams interact with each other and among themselves in character. How each team roleplays should not be strictly defined. A team could decide to choose the SE settings and make other in game decisions according to the original ideology of the faction. However, it should not be forbidden that the Spartans realizes the importance of wealth and go through a reform.

Also, how a team roleplays inside the team should not be restricted also. For example the Hive is supposed to be a police state, however, it is still good roleplays when the Hive pursues "democratic centralism" and actually have elections. And the fact that Hive and Drones pact together should not be viewed as impossible either, as long as they can find common ground such as the glory of the workers.

Individual players should not be required to roleplay. There are different people with different preference. People who excel in game playing should be allowed to concentrate in gaming strategy. A faction's roleplay can affect in game decisions, but no team should be required to do so.

The last point I would like to say, is that I would like people to try differentiate RL attitude from roleplaying. Members of two teams could engage in heated discussions or debates, some times may even be hostile interactions, these should be strictly in roleplay sense. Like Hive can accuse the CCs of murders and CCs can counterstrike the Hive with the same thing. But nobody should take it one step further and throw irresponsible personal attacks. If somebody has a RL issue against somebody, the issue should be raised with the moderator, and may further be raised with the entire forum, however discussion regarding this kind of things needs to be calm, fair and objective. Some times it is hard to differentiate the two, but we should all try. And we should all remember, we come here for fun. Nobody come here with ill intentions. We should all try to be more tolerant and more open, and we should all try to understand each other.
                        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Role play:

Demanded? No.
                          Done? Yes, probably!

For example, as a future Morganite, I will indeed get annoyed at factions running Planned, and encourage them to switch to FM (Especially Gaians ).

Although I don't think we should enforce team roleplaying (this is a demo game after all, not a role playing game), it should be encouraged. We don't need a set of rules, but perhaps some self policing would be good (Along the lines of Maniac's incessant "Why did you reload?" cries last game perhaps? That is, "Morgans, why are you running green not free market?", to which the responce might be "The drones are driving me mad!" or "Profits my dear!" or "Check your PM box!" or whatever.) It would certainly add an extra dimension to the game methinks!

Hmm, waffled more than I wanted to there.

Summary
                          Roleplay good! Enforced roleplay bad.

Chaunk
                          Play hangman.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaunk
                            Along the lines of Maniac's incessant "Why did you reload?" cries last game perhaps?
                            Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                            Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

i think most of the peiople that are going to play the 3rd ACDG (the police game thingy doesnt count because i didnt join that one )will want to roleplay but do not make it a rule....that is SOOO hive like...
                              Bunnies!
                              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Well we better make it clear what we really want then. This way nobody would be soooo inclined to whine about certain people's non roleplaying as this goes along.
                                Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Working...
                                X