Next ACDG: Roleplaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Voltaire
    But what was lacking in this one was politicking, another critical aspect in democracy games. I’m all for roleplay, but I want to see more politicking in the coming ACDG since this one lacked it.
    Do you mean by politicking the sort of 'public announcements' like in the main forum during the PEACE assimilation matter? That was a great roleplay indeed, and should surely be repeated.
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Required as teams yes, as characters no (or we lose even more players).
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
        Required as teams yes, as characters no (or we lose even more players).
        I'll be trying to do it as a character, if it's all the same with you.
        Trithemius
        ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

So, if the outcome of this poll is what it looks like so far, we're forced to roleplay to join? That SUCKS!!!! It's all good if you want to, but to force it? No thanks.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

pww, the Eternal Hacker is on the loose...
            He who knows others is wise.
            He who knows himself is enlightened.
            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
              So, if the outcome of this poll is what it looks like so far, we're forced to roleplay to join? That SUCKS!!!! It's all good if you want to, but to force it? No thanks.
              It sucks if you are roleplaying and noone else is, I can safely say that much. If someone is going to make choices based on the 'character' of the faction they are in, and others make their choices based solely on "what works best" according to the numbers then anyone who is 'roleplaying' is automatically at a major disadvantage.
              I think that really sucks.
              Trithemius
              ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                Well, if you read the thread a bit more carefully, you'll see that no-one was suggesting individual members be required to roleplay to join; rather, each team would have to do at least some roleplay.

Comment

Which I think is a good guideline, rather than a mighty rule that may not be broken!

Its not unreasonable that we expect the Gaians as a faction to show some respect for Planet, and to complain when we run FM or kill worms.

Its not unreasonable that the Spartans are obliged to look for a fight... and try to start one in the main forum...

And all that jazz.

Hey, it would even be cool if the Angels tried to hack the private forums...

-Jam
                  1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                  That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                  Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                  Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Maybe not that last one... too much potential for trouble, there. Given the advantages of actually succeeding, it would be a bit hard to simply call it roleplay and leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralTacticus

Well, if you read the thread a bit more carefully, you'll see that no-one was suggesting individual members be required to roleplay to join; rather, each team would have to do at least some roleplay.
                      We do not want another ****** like faction again in new ACDG
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Could you rephrase that Obstructor? I don't understand what you mean.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

No names Skanky, therefore it is crypted. Think a bit , and you will understand.

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

There is roleplay and there is roleplay.

While WIA hasn't updated his location for a while, you can still see the remnants, we roleplayed quite happily back in the days when GoW, and me in particular were burning down any city that smelled of the stench of the spanish in search of the cowardly MrWIA who incidentally poisoned and murdered my son. We played with locations and were having avatar wars for quite some time. That didn't detract from what the actual game was.

Shortly after joining this last game, I had a look at some public threads and was so smothered with roleplay I couldn't even tell what the hell was going on.

Roleplay and gameplay need to be inherently different, IMO. Information shouldn't become difficult to understand in the name of superfluous roleplaying elements. If I wanted to be playing roleplay, I'ld find some locals and sit down for some D&D. If, however, during the course of playing the game I feel like participating in a little roleplay, that should be my right as well.

Thus, it should be optional, welcome, but completely seperate from the actual game. IMO.

This sounds a little odd from someone advocating a faction that basically roleplays mercenaries, I know. I can't explain how confounding some public threads here were that added so much roleplay that the actual information became an abstraction rather than just information. That is what I want to avoid.
                              One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

If roleplay is meant to have an effect on the actual gameplay, I won't be joining this game. Obviously some people do like roleplaying, but it's not my cup of tea. For me this is a strategy game first and foremost, not a CRPG.

Comment

Working...
                                X