Next ACDG: Roleplaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamski
    Hey, it would even be cool if the Angels tried to hack the private forums...

-Jam
    Not that much roleplay Jam.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Obviously teams still need gameplay experts and I'm sure any team would be glad to have you. Others in your team who enjoy the roleplaying aspect would do your team's roleplaying. Then everyone is happy.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Exactly, Gaians for instance have an opening, and we have excess roleplayers.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I think there will be people roleplaying a lot, some or not at all. Making it mandatory wouldn't work IMHO and even might scare people off.
          Mart
          Map creation contest
          WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

It's not much fun to focus on gameplay if roleplaying affects gameplay decisions, such as which SE settings to use or which factions to ally with.

Comment

Yes, but this polls speaks about TEAMS, not individual members.

Comment

Originally posted by Minute Mirage
                It's not much fun to focus on gameplay if roleplaying affects gameplay decisions, such as which SE settings to use or which factions to ally with.
                I think no faction will actually subordinate itself to that. Look just at this ACDG - Hive and Drones aligned - that wouldn`t be quite roleplaying correct, right?

Comment

I think it would be cool if for example political systems were roleplayed:
                  - Police state will have its dictator and players would be advisors with some power defined
                  - Democracy would have regular elections
                  - Fundamentalism would have a leader which would have to keep the ideology.
                  Mart
                  Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                    I think it would be cool if for example political systems were roleplayed:
                    - Police state will have its dictator and players would be advisors with some power defined
                    - Democracy would have regular elections
                    Mart, this two are currently now roleplayed.

/me looks at CyCon and Hive

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor

I think no faction will actually subordinate itself to that.
                      I'd hope so, but Jamski's post gives me reason to think otherwise.

Comment

Just because roleplaying would be mandatory for teams does not mean it would need to be taken to the extreme, nor would it mean that the entire games purpose would be to roleplay. Nor even would it necessarily have to affect gameplay - with enough creativity you could justify any SE setting with any faction.

I'd hope so, but Jamski's post gives me reason to think otherwise.

Again, the gameplay colours the roleplaying, not the other way around. The roleplaying justifies the decisions your team makes. Well, thats how I hope it will work for my team anyway.

How the roleplaying takes place is entirely up to the team in question, just so long as they do some roleplaying.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The best way to assure that each team Role Plays will be for roleplaying intense players to spread themselves EVENLY amungst the teams and not dog pile one faction as happened to an extent in this game.

I also think we need to distinquish a few things here.

Diplomacy/StateCraft is negotiation with and dealing diplomaticly with other factions and is a desirable thing to have (creating positions for influential diplomates for one) but is not the same as Role Playing though you can Role Play when doing it.

RolePlaying occures mostly in the form of periodicals such as Pravda, the Digital Data Download and the Shipping News that were released durring this game. They usaly serve to recap major developments that have already transpired.

I strongly favor that we do a lot of each of these this next game.
                          Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

What I think of is that when in-game you change demo to police state, you have to change playing government too. Is that what you mean?
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by mart7x5
                              What I think of is that when in-game you change demo to police state, you have to change playing government too. Is that what you mean?
                              This has never happened yet, but it will be interesting to see.

/me looks at Spartans

Comment

Yup, so for example when a police state dictator wishes to change police state to democracy he/she must run the elections
                                Mart
                                Map creation contest

Comment

Working...
                                X