Next ACDG: Roleplaying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next ACDG: Roleplaying

Democracy games are all about social interaction, teams of people playing with and against teams of people. A major avenue of this social interaction, particularly that occuring between different teams, is the roleplaying aspect.

Therefore I propose that each faction be required to roleplay in the next ACDG, and not treat this as just another PBEM game.

EDIT: Just to highlight that again, this is talking about factions as a whole doing the roleplaying, not forcing every individual to be doing roleplaying.
    Yes, roleplaying is good!
    60.71%
    No, interacting with others is bad.
    14.29%
    I am long, yellow and slightly bent. Roleplay that!
    25.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Skanky Burns; April 15, 2004, 09:19.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

I second this.
    Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Oh come ON! Don't make it even WORSE! This is exactly what helped kill the ACPSG.

/me is horrified
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

?! MWIA ?!

Roleplay is good!
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

While I do prefer roleplaying for the social interaction of this and would really like it if people roleplayed (even just a little).

I would have to say 'No'. Making it MANDATORY for participants to roleplay is unethical, IM(NSH)O.
          Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
          Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
          *****Citizen of the Hive****
          "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

The real problem is it's hard to force roleplay and people's ideas of roleplay may differ. Also some players really just aren't interested in roleplay as some people would define it.

Assuming everyone has the same idea of roleplay (might not be true), I think the best way to ensure roleplay in each of the teams is ensuring that there's a good balance of roleplayers and turnplayers in each faction. Unfortunately, it seems that roleplayers will tend to flock to certain factions while turnplayers will flock to other factions. So you get an inbalance of not only roleplay/game play ability, but also in activity of each faction.

Before putting up a blanket yes or no, perhaps it should be considered how making sure each faction roleplays will be implemented. I personally think the voting should be about taking measures to ensure roleplay, rather than having a ruling that will have results which are vague at best.

EDIT:
            Additional note, you really need at least two turnplayers and two roleplayers in each faction minimum. This is because it's difficult to roleplay in your faction by yourself, and turnplaying can be extremely stressful without a backup/someone to help you.
            Last edited by Kody; April 15, 2004, 01:34.

Comment

/me thinks briefly of a 'pick' system like for sports at school. Several Captains or Team Leaders are chosen, and they take turns in picking roleplayers or turnplayers from a list of interested parties.

Of course this would have to be tempered with getting a faction you like, but then again surely most factions are interesting enough for anyone...?
              Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan
                While I do prefer roleplaying for the social interaction of this and would really like it if people roleplayed (even just a little).

I would have to say 'No'. Making it MANDATORY for participants to roleplay is unethical, IM(NSH)O.
                Just think of it as a Police Action if it makes you feel better Frankychan.

To mandatory roleplaying I say: Yes

N.B. In response to Kody: I don't mind what people consider roleplaying, so long as they are doing it.

P.S. I also volunteer in advance for any "mandatory roleplaying position" in the Data Angels.
                Trithemius
                ["Power performs the Miracle." - Johannes Trithemius

Comment

The two biggest concerns for me are good roleplay, which I think this ACDG splendidly succeeded in. But what was lacking in this one was politicking, another critical aspect in democracy games. I’m all for roleplay, but I want to see more politicking in the coming ACDG since this one lacked it.
                  You can only curse me to eternal damnation for so long!

Comment

You bring up a good point, Trithemius.

*thinks about it*

......Rrrrg! If I think about it in THOSE terms, I am in more support of it becoming mandatory. And that is sad.
                    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                    *****Citizen of the Hive****
                    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

As George Orwell so wisely wrote :

4 legs Roleplaying good
                      2 legs Mandetory bad

And I agree

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

For clarification, I mean roleplaying as a team, I don't mean every post eveyone makes should be in character. I would really like to see all teams participating in the public forums.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

You bring up a good point, Trithemius.

*thinks about it*

......Rrrrg! If I think about it in THOSE terms, I am in more support of it becoming mandatory. And that is sad.
                          I am sure we can arrange a nerve-stapling if it would make you feel better...
                          Trithemius

Comment

Ah... I didn't realise you were talking about spam

That's an excellent proposal, Skanky. We don't want another team "doing a Buster" in the new game, do we?

-Jam
                            1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                            That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                            Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                            Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                              That's an excellent proposal, Skanky. We don't want another team "doing a Buster" in the new game, do we?
                              No names, fool!
                              Trithemius

Comment

Working...
                              X